banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
usedcasfer

Hi:

I just saw a Gord sighting on That 70s Show (the show where Eric gets a job at Fatso Burger). There is record player in the basement which sits on a cabinet. The cabinet has an organizer on the side for albums. The exposed album was Gord, but since I do not remember all the photos from the albums, I am not sure which one. But it was the fro era so it could have been Endless Wire.

John
Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
GeoMan

Hi:

I just saw a Gord sighting on That 70s Show (the show where Eric gets a job at Fatso Burger). There is record player in the basement which sits on a cabinet. The cabinet has an organizer on the side for albums. The exposed album was Gord, but since I do not remember all the photos from the albums, I am not sure which one. But it was the fro era so it could have been Endless Wire.

John
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Well pilgrim, I rekin' this town is big enough for the both of us.... just one thing though, I 'spect we oughta talk about that name of yours... LOL j/k Geo Man - Welcome. You have good taste in names.
Geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
GeoMan

Hey geodeticman:

I sell social studies materials (lots of maps) to schools during the day and teach geography courses at several instututions of higher learning in the evening. One of my attractions to Gord's music are the many geographic references he makes and my love for the Canadian Shield. On my next canoe trip I will sing Canary Yellow Canoe (I actually owned a canvas yellow canoe at one time).

Geo John
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
geodeticman

Howdy GeoMan

You and I sure share a love of maps and make them our professions as well. We are very lucky to be able to do what we love.

I also am a canoeing enthusiast, and am looking fordward to buying an Olde Town Canoe - Dsscovery 17' foamcore. Its the same type by coincidence Gord wrapped bent around a rock , and was able to pop it back into shape - hallmark of foam cores with memory plastic.

I have a paddle signed by Gord proudly hung on my wall in the den, members here have listened to me brag on ad nauseum LOL.

You make an interesting point on Gord's geographic references in his music i had not really thought of, but you are right.

I am in a different branch of Mapping Sciences than Geography as you are. If you look at the Ohio State Univ. model in their College of Mapping Sciences, which houses Geography, Geodesy, GIS, Land Surveying, Cartography, and Photogramettric Engineering and Remote Sensing programs. Within that model, I am in the Geodesy,GIS, and numerical cartography end (mapping, gravity models,geodetic & photogremmetric survey control, and datum/map projections end.

I'm no prof., but I've been asked and accepted a few guest lecturer requests at 2 local Universities, and for a GIS certificate program at IBM. There were three courses I was fortunate to be asked to be an adjunct instructor on in GIS and Cadastral Sytemms as well. What a great thing we get to do for a living what we love, again I have to say, isn't it ?

Thanks for the reply and describing several things we seem to have in common. And once again - great name GeoMan !
Geo Steve
Old 09-09-2006, 02:26 AM   #6
geodeticman

Hey GeoMan,

Sorry I did not mean to talk shop so much ! You mentioned just the right amount in your post. I just got excited to hear a fellow Lighthead talkin' maps .

Back to the point of your post - the rack of albums in the 70's show. I figure it could be chronologically anyone of:

IYCRMM
SSOL
DQ
ODR
Sundown
COTS
SD
EW

Unless I am forgetting one, off the top of my head, and still be in the 70's as far as release dates. Even thats a stretch for me to make to assume, hell, it could be any LP released by Gord as far as props go. ! Your guess on the photos basis is probably the best.

Later,
Geo Steve

[ September 09, 2006, 02:41: Message edited by: geodeticman ]
Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoMan:
Hi:

John
I was just looking at the sleeve of DSR the other day and there is a pic of GL sitting in a chair w/ guitar and he has glasses on. I couldn't help but be reminded of Steve on that 70's show. Or perhaps it is more appropriate to say the character Steve resembles GL in this photo. It's the hair and glasses for sure.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Janice

I think someone mentioned this in the past and even posted a still showing it - they also identified which album it was (although I can't remember which one it was, now). It may have been some other show, though.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
2Much2Lose

Janice I think that was for the show "Lost".
Jenney
Old 09-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
Jenney

Janice I think that was for the show "Lost".
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
Janice

Jenney, you are absolutely right - it was Lost. Sorry about the confusion on my part.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Gordon Lightfoot » General Discussion » Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST!

Author Topic: Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST!
johnfowles
Member # 622

posted April 29, 2006 02:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I think is an interesting bit of trivia has surfaced on the Newsgroup
In a thread subject:-
"Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST! (May 3)"
at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...7635c0e0a91f56
it refers to a picture at:-

where a very keen eyed reader spotted this 'prop":-

to the left of the turntable

In addition whilst I was google image searching for that album cover I also found some nice October 29 2005 pictures of the
band that are too large to display here at:-
http://i.pbase.com/v3/56/525156/1/51...nLightfoot.jpg
on a site:-
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15636787
which also included this "angelic" shot of Barry's drumkit!

John Fowles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP: Logged |

johnfowles
Member # 622

posted April 29, 2006 02:45 PM
when I checked the link and revisited that site
I noticed a nifty feature of that paricular forum.
Unlike this one where extra wide pictures cause display problems with the column width necessitating scrolling
that forum has controls:-
"Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window"
(you can expand the initial "narrowed" versions with a simple click)
John Fowles
Very Spooky!!!

[ September 10, 2006, 15:22: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
Jesse Joe

Gordon Lightfoot » General Discussion » Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST!

Author Topic: Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST!
johnfowles
Member # 622

posted April 29, 2006 02:37 PM
What I think is an interesting bit of trivia has surfaced on the Newsgroup
In a thread subject:-
"Lightfoot seen on TV show LOST! (May 3)"
at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...7635c0e0a91f56
it refers to a picture at:-

where a very keen eyed reader spotted this 'prop":-

to the left of the turntable

In addition whilst I was google image searching for that album cover I also found some nice October 29 2005 pictures of the
band that are too large to display here at:-
http://i.pbase.com/v3/56/525156/1/51...nLightfoot.jpg
on a site:-
which also included this "angelic" shot of Barry's drumkit!

John Fowles
IP: Logged |

johnfowles
Member # 622

posted April 29, 2006 02:45 PM
when I checked the link and revisited that site
I noticed a nifty feature of that paricular forum.
Unlike this one where extra wide pictures cause display problems with the column width necessitating scrolling
that forum has controls:-
"Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window"
(you can expand the initial "narrowed" versions with a simple click)
John Fowles
Very Spooky!!!

[ September 10, 2006, 15:22: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Borderstone

Default Re: That 70s Show

I know this hasn't been accessed in 2 & 1/2 years but since this episode of "That 70s Show" takes place in the summer/early fall of 1976,in the first season,the album in question should be "Summertime Dream".

Which as we all know Gord debuted two songs from the Lp on Saturday Night Live in May of that year.

Of course,since the "fro" was mentioned it could also be "Sundown" or "Gord's Gold".

I think it's one of those three for sure.