banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Jennifer

I received my copy of Sunday Concert earlier this week (no "plus" though). Been thoroughly enjoying it, especially the live recording of CRT which is just superb. I couldn't make up my mind between that and Summertime Dream, so I got both, and then I got Summer Side of Life too. What the heck it's only money, ay?! [img]tongue.gif[/img] <tee-hee>

I haven't even opened "Summer Side..." yet because I've been enjoying Sunday Concert (clear and breathtaking) and Summertime Dream which is decidedly melancholy and soul-stirring. I'm also still quite enamored with the UA Collection and DSR. Aaaah, so much Lightfoot to listen to, yet only so much time...

On another note: I've actually heard Gordons upcoming show in Aurora IL mentioned several times on the classic rock station this week and they've been playing him more. The DJ even touched briefly on the beginnings of his career at one point. Filled my heart with joy to hear him mentioned. Now, if only they expand their horizons a bit and play some more Lightfoot songs... I'd be one happy girl.

Off to do some listening!
Jen
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
DJ in MJ

Anytime Gord gets mentioned on the radio is a good thing. I'd love to hear more of the less popular stuff, but even the hits are better than no Gord at all.

The last time I heard a Gord album get complete and undivided attention was during the release of Salute. The local radio station in Orillia, CFOR, devoted an afternoon to Gord and his new album. I was very fortunate to be home and tuned in that day.

CFOR died many years ago, but they were one of those wonderful stations that played a true mixed bag of music genres. You could hear GL or John Denver one moment, and then Queen or Kiss the next moment. They had something for everyone and really catered to the Orillia community.

As for your new box of goodies, Jen, Summertime Dream is my favourite of the three, though the other two aren't far behind in the pecking order. In fact, I played most of SD last night after work, and this morning I managed to squeeze in Race and The Wreck during my morning tea. But then it was time to go and start another day. I've more or less decided to listen to all of Painter tonight. I haven't given it a complete run through in awhile, so it's time is due.

Happy listening!
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #3
Jennifer

I too would love to hear the less popular stuff and not just the same 3 or 4 songs he's known for. It floors me that a great song like The Watchman or 7 Island Suite has not gotten any airplay. Yet they play bands like Led Zeppelin and Journey to the extent of overkill. Not that the aforementioned are not good bands, but how many times can one listen to Dancing Days or Faithfully? Personally if I never heard these tracks again I wouldn't miss them any time soon, sorry... I've had enough!

We had a syndicated show similiar to the station you mentioned, David, that played on Sunday nights for 20+ years, and then they got pulled. Big bummer.

I think later today I will head out to the trails and enjoy one of my new selections. GL's music always makes a perfect "soundtrack" to compliment the beauty of the woods, especially at this time of year when the leaves start to turn amber and gold.

I am very happy with my box o' goodies. Gordon does not disappoint!!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Yuri

Open that 'Summer Side Of Life'!!! Perhaps a bit darker than most, but my favorite for sure.
Enjoy them all!

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Anyone (else) consider "Too Late For Prayin'" among Gord's best?
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Jesse Joe

I think it's a good one, nice lyrics for sure.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Janice

Summer Side Of Life is my favorite as well. Go ahead and open it - it won't disappoint.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Farnham:
Anyone (else) consider "Too Late For Prayin'" among Gord's best?
Yes, as well as Too Many Clues In This Room. I don't know why some people don't care for those two.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Paul

Yes, I definately do. Despite many interesting and equally valid interpretations of it (Too Late for Prayin') as:
A.) spiritual, B.) not spiritual (as in eschewing religion or its value, or being too late..) or C.)outright a religious prayer, I make no bones about it, I believe "C" is the case.

Generally it seems corfid members are understandably uneasy when bringing up religion per se,due to the simple and semi-valid short list of subjects to avoid in polite company,conversation, etc.

However, I have stated before without hesitation in the context that is generally spoken of as germaine in corfid of religion; that is when it is as a subtext to talking about GL's music as the subject at hand. And in that context, I would offer that "Too Late For Prayin" is one of the most beautiful songs Gord has ever written IMHO.

Moreover, it is without a doubt (in my mind) most definately a prayer of sorts, and speaks of Gord's religious quietudes that are also at times flat-out prayer, as in "Lord Forgive Me" (For I have sinned).

Granted, a flat literal interpretation of the lyrics of Too Late would suggest his lack of confidence in the value of praying in the (world?) state of affairs he sings of in the song.

But, even if that were the case, he still expresses the applicability of prayer to such sad things as mentioned in the song. So, either way you cut it, I think it speaks to his faith and religious conviction, with deftly chosen lyrics that do not bog the listener down as in "which religion, or denomination?".

Most important, aside from my my ramblings on "is this song religious ?" among other songs in another thread, is your specific comment/question for us all of is "Too Late.." among Gord's best ?

I say absolutely yes, melodically - superior, orchestration from the peak of the Nick DeCaro period (as I recall), and lyrically compelling, religious or not. If one sets *that* aside completely, I would maintain, as you do I believe, that it is one if his *very* best. I agree.

One other thought Paul, would you agree that "Too Late.." is also one of the best vocal performances of Gord's in this period, the "broad-brimmed period" according to some pundits ? More specifically, on a great album where he is experimenting with less or no vibrato, that this vibrato-laden song is a stand-out in this regard as well ? I liked that ability he has that he now uses judiciously.

Beautiful song, Paul, thanks for reminding me of it.

-geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Islandgirl

TOO LATE FOR PRAYIN' is one of my favorites also.
I agree with geo Steve. Everything about it is wonderful [the instrumental, lyrics, his voice]. I just love the way the lyrics just draw you in completely in the very beginning of the song with "We were children, you & me."

SUNDOWN on the radio in '73 is what caught my attention to GL, but when I bought the LP, TLFP is the song that blew me away [then 7 ISLAND SUITE] because my grandfather, who was a wonderful part of my childhood, would always tell us "God helps those who help themselves" [he was a self-taught violinist & I would spent hours listening to him play. He died when I was 10 yrs. old and I still miss him]. From my view, this is the underlying message of the song. I think Gord was saying that prayer without our action is not going to cut it [as expressed in the question - "Is it too late for tryin'?"] And I don't think he was being sarcastic with "Why thank you Lord, we're living, in the glory of your care". I believe he was saying God gave us this wonderous world to live in that we have abused by not considering the consequences of our actions [war, pollution, etc.]. Some people see this song in a pessimistic light while I see it as being very optimistic - in the end the message is hope. . .
"Guess we've all got problems of our own to bear
And still we share
Tomorrow, could get better than today..."
Old 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Borderstone

If I listen to TLFP on a cloudy,rainy day...boy does that make it seem even cloudier & grayer!

I wouldn't play that song this coming Monday if I were you.

Jennifer,one thing with any GL album you haven't heard yet. Once you listen to them,you know every one of them was worth it. They're not all 5 star caliber but each one offers 5 good songs or more. Everytime.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Hi Jennifer, with your Sunday Concert CD, may I suggest, you give a good listen to,"Ballad Of The Yarmouth Castle."

If you have the lyrics, follow them as well. That is one great piece of songwriting. He could have finish the song earlier, and it would have still told the story in it's entirety. Once again it shows the genius mind, this man has, to write a good song. "What a guy, he's simply the best."

Let me know what you think... ~Jesse~

[ September 10, 2006, 07:32: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #13
Jennifer

At last, I opened my Summer Side of Life CD yesterday and brought it to accompany me on one of my walks. Yuri, you're definitely right about it being a bit darker. The theme seems to be about leaving and being left. I can only imagine what Gordon might have been experiencing at that time to inspire him to write such sadness.

Undoubtedly the jewel on this CD is "Miguel". What a beautiful song, even if it is very tragic. I don't know if it was just the song, or perhaps a combination of the song, plus the overcast sky and this changing of seasons that always gets me feeling sentimental and melancholy; but this piece brought tears to my eyes. Ditto for Talking in Your Sleep. I replayed both several time. I love stuff like this, even if it does make me weepy.

Jesse Joe - I must concur with you about Ballad of Yarmouth Castle. Even before I listened I knew it had to be quite a song from reading some of the excerpts of lyrics on the inside sleeve. GL has a gift for these epic stories that pull you in and keep your interest 'til the end. I find myself actually paying close attention to many of his lyrics and this one is no exception.

If there was any doubt in my mind before receiving these last 3 CD's that GL was anything less than a musical genius (there wasn't by the way, but just for the sake of rhetoric...) there is certainly not any now. Gordon has to be the most poetic soul in existence today.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

"Gordon has to be the most poetic soul in existence today."...Jennifer.

Very well said, Jennifer.

It was in the 70's, that Kenny Rogers and The First Editions, were on a TV special, and just before doing a song, Kenny told the audience, As far as songwriters are concern, Canadian folk signer Gordon Lightfoot has to be a genius. I never forgot those words, coming from Rogers, it was not a small compliment.

But in the late 80's, Gordon went to Maple Leafs Gardens in Toronto, at a Kenny Rogers concert. And he said, "we talked backstage a bit," and Kenny ask Gord, why dont you write me some songs.

Gordon replied ok I will, he gaved him 5 new songs, but Rogers rejected them all. Giving me the impression that Rogers maybe thought Gord was loosing it somewhat, as a songwriter. Funny guy that Kenny eh? Just my opinion of course...~Jesse~

[ September 12, 2006, 13:13: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 09-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:
"Gordon has to be the most poetic soul in existence today."...Jennifer.

Very well said, Jennifer.

It was in the 70's, that Kenny Rogers and The First Editions, were on a TV special, and just before doing a song, Kenny told the audience, As far as songwriters are concern, Canadian folk signer Gordon Lightfoot has to be a genius. I never forgot those words, coming from Rogers, it was not a small compliment.

But in the late 80's, Gordon went to Maple Leafs Gardens in Toronto, at a Kenny Rogers concert. And he said, "we talked backstage a bit," and Kenny ask Gord, why dont you write me some songs.

Gordon replied ok I will, he gaved him 5 new songs, but Rogers rejected them all. Giving me the impression that Rogers maybe thought Gord was loosing it somewhat, as a songwriter. Funny guy that Kenny eh? Just my opinion of course...~Jesse~

Hey JJ,

I recall hearing that GL wrote a song for Kenny, but five?! I didn't know that. And he turned his nose up to them all? Jeez, I'd be a bit miffed if I was Gordon.

My dad used to listen to Kenny a lot when I was a kid, but I was never a fan. Hmph, I knew there was something about him I didnt much care for but couldn't put my finger on... now I know. LOL

So what happened to the songs? Did anyone ever record them or are they floating around in limbo somewhere?

Jen
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

No Jennifer, Gordon laugh it up, in that interview, that he spoke about that. He said, " I rejected them all too, because if there not good enough for Kenny Rogers, there not good enough for me." And he really laugh at the situation.

I have that interview on VHS. Since then he put at least one of them on "SONGBOOK" The 4 CD's, which has a lot of never heard before Lightfoot tracks. The song is called "Never Say Trust Me."

And you know when I listen to it, I really can imagine Kenny Rogers doing it. It sounds like a Kenny Rogers song, if that makes any sense.

Just for Lightfoot's credit, Kenny had 100 song to listen too, and choose from. And he rejected the other 95 as well. That was back in 1987...~Jesse~

[ September 12, 2006, 18:23: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 09-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
My Name is Ann

Quote:
No Jennifer, Gordon laugh it up, in that interview, that he spoke about that. He said, " I rejected them all too, because if there not good enough for Kenny Rogers, there not good enough for me." And he really laugh at the situation.

I have that interview on VHS.
Jesse, that is so interesting and what a nice, good-natured reaction - I like GL even more after reading that. That must be a great interview - how nice that you have it on VHS.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
Jesse Joe

Hi Ann, I have lots of interviews of the poet genius on VHS. And today I can transfer them to DVD, which I did with some.

I agree with you 100%. That's why we love him so much. A real down to earth type of guy.

After I typed my previous response to Jennifer, I got the little book out, that came with the 4 CD's compilation.

And here is what he writes under, "Never Say Trust Me."

"Written for Kenny Rogers, but he decided not to use it. I was thinking about him when I wrote it. He had asked me to write him a song, but it turned out not to be right for him, and that's that."

What a guy eh!!...~Jesse~

http://www.corfid.com/gl/Albums/Songbook/main.htm

[ September 12, 2006, 18:34: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #19
Jennifer

Quote:
Hi Ann, I have lots of interviews of the poet genius on VHS. And today I can transfer them to DVD, which I did with some.

I agree with you 100%. That's why we love him so much. A real down to earth type of guy.

After I typed my previous response to Jennifer, I got the little book out, that came with the 4 CD's compilation.

And here is what he writes under, "Never Say Trust Me."

"Written for Kenny Rogers, but he decided not to use it. I was thinking about him when I wrote it. He had asked me to write him a song, but it turned out not to be right for him, and that's that."

What a guy eh!!...~Jesse~

http://www.corfid.com/gl/Albums/Songbook/main.htm
What a good sport he is! I'll be looking forward to hearing the song that "wasn't right" for Kenny.

Boy, I couldn't imagine having GL write a song just for me and turning it down... Ah well, Kenny's loss.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 AM   #20
Jesse Joe

I guess in a sense he was giving Kenny, lots of praise. At least that's the impression I got. It was like he was saying, Im no Kenny Rogers.

But I would say the opposite, Kenny Rogers, is no Gordon Lightfoot. As far as songwriting is concern, Lightfoot is pretty much on top. ~Jesse~
Old 09-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #21
Jennifer

Quote:

....But I would say the opposite, Kenny Rogers, is no Gordon Lightfoot. As far as songwriting is concern, Lightfoot is pretty much on top. ~Jesse~
Yep - well said! :D
Old 09-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #22
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I forget which song on Songbook was originally written for Kenny. It's one of the ones on disk 4, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. John? Val? Char? Do one of you know?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #23
Jesse Joe

Read a little higher on this thread, Cathy it is ,"Never Say Trust Me."
Old 09-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #24
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Yes, I saw that after I posted my remark!