banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-02-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
Steve

I read that Mickey Newbury died a couple of days ago at age 62 of a respratory ailment. He was a really fine songwriter. I think he wrote some of the most beautiful sad songs that I ever heard. I have just one of his albums, "Looks Like Rain" which has been long out of print. Just wondered if there are any other of his fans here.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
Westernstar9

Though not a big fan, I have an old LP in pretty good condition. I believe it's "Frisco Mabel Joy". (I am not at home, so I can't check.) During an interview some years ago he said "I can't bend what I do to fit the tastes of teenagers" when asked why he didn't sell many records. I put him in the same category as guys like Jim Weatherly. Guys who are good songwriters, listenable though not great singers, other people's interpretations of their work tend to sell way better than their own.

Mike

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #3
notsocooldude

I was sad to hear about the death of this fine songwriter. In fact yesterday afternoon on BBC Radio 2 I heard Mickeys version of 'American Trilogy' which I believe he wrote, and I think I prefer it to Elvis's version. Am I right in thinking he also wrote 'Rainy Night In Georgia'? He will be sadly missed.
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:02 PM   #4
Steve

Here's a website that a nice capsule of Mickey's career. http://www.nashvillesongwritersfound...e/newbury.html
I first heard him on the radio one night in California in the late 60's. I was so impressed that I wrote a record store in Nashville to send me the record which was "Looks Like Rain". It was a concept album where every song was written around the theme of rain. Between the tracks was the Misty Moods Orchestra and the sounds of rain. It was one of the saddest and most beautiful things I have ever heard. In the 70's I was living in Tokyo when Mickey won the annual Japan song writers contest. I got to hear him live when he flew over to accept the prize.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:19 PM   #5
SilverHeels

I hadn't heard about his death! That is
very sad. Another great songwriter lost to
us.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:00 AM   #6
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by notsocooldude:
I was sad to hear about the death of this fine songwriter. In fact yesterday afternoon on BBC Radio 2 I heard Mickeys version of 'American Trilogy' which I believe he wrote, and I think I prefer it to Elvis's version. Am I right in thinking he also wrote 'Rainy Night In Georgia'? He will be sadly missed.

Tony Joe White wrote "Rainy Night In Georgia".

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:41 AM   #7
notsocooldude

Thank you.
notsocooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
LAM3346E

Yes, was also, a Mikey Newbury Fan, although
I only own one of his albums, "Heaven Help The Child" from 1973. Was saddened to hear of
his death. "San Fancisco Mabel Joy" was on this album.

------------------
lam
LAM3346E is offline   Reply With Quote