banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
CanadaGirl38

First time back in ages. Was listening to a couple of things and realized there are places in at least two Lightfoot albums where there is a three song sequence that leaves me going "well, this is about as good as it gets!" My two - on Old Dan's Records, the last three songs - It's Worth Believing, Mother of a Miner's Child and Highway Songs. Sweet! Again, on Sundown - side two (back in the vinyl world) first three - The Watchman's Out, Sundown and Carefree Highway.

I could listen to either of those sets of three over and over and never get tired.

What does it for you?
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
fezo

First time back in ages. Was listening to a couple of things and realized there are places in at least two Lightfoot albums where there is a three song sequence that leaves me going "well, this is about as good as it gets!" My two - on Old Dan's Records, the last three songs - It's Worth Believing, Mother of a Miner's Child and Highway Songs. Sweet! Again, on Sundown - side two (back in the vinyl world) first three - The Watchman's Out, Sundown and Carefree Highway.

I could listen to either of those sets of three over and over and never get tired.

What does it for you?
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
RM

fezo,

Nice thread idea. I certainly can't top your threesomes, but the thought sent me back to my LPs. My offering is 14 Karat Gold, In My Fashion, and Shadows.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
RaisinSpores

Tough choice. I'll go with "10 Degrees and Getting Colder," "Miguel," and "Go My Way," the first three from SSL. I don't know how popular these songs are among y'all, but these might be my favorite three-in-a-row. The first three from the Sundown album, "Somewhere USA," "High and Dry," and "Seven Island Suite," is up there for me too, although the middle song isn't on the same level as the other two.
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
Winter's Claw

Tough choice. I'll go with "10 Degrees and Getting Colder," "Miguel," and "Go My Way," the first three from SSL. I don't know how popular these songs are among y'all, but these might be my favorite three-in-a-row. The first three from the Sundown album, "Somewhere USA," "High and Dry," and "Seven Island Suite," is up there for me too, although the middle song isn't on the same level as the other two.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
CanadaGirl38

Those first three off of SSL are great. I will admit to not being as big a fan of 10 Degrees and Getting Colder as the general population is but it is still a fine song. Miguel and Go My Way are real favorites. That is such a strong album. While there were no "hits" as such it's just full of really good songs, tasteful arrangements and Gord singing at his best. I've long thought that SSL and Don Quixote may be his most underrated work. Prime stuff.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
fezo

Those first three off of SSL are great. I will admit to not being as big a fan of 10 Degrees and Getting Colder as the general population is but it is still a fine song. Miguel and Go My Way are real favorites. That is such a strong album. While there were no "hits" as such it's just full of really good songs, tasteful arrangements and Gord singing at his best. I've long thought that SSL and Don Quixote may be his most underrated work. Prime stuff.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

cool topic: I hadn't listened to Harmony since last Masssy stint but I'll go with:

Clouds Of Loneliness, Couchiching, Sometimes I Wish (I think this is really cool prod work, under the circumstances, by Bob Doidge...the whole feel of the chorus always brings me warmth, yet a shiver)

I echo Winter Claw with his/her comment regarding my middle tune pick but, IMO, seeing Gord have such fun singing this live and the audience having even more fun listening steps it up several notches
Old 11-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
jj

cool topic: I hadn't listened to Harmony since last Masssy stint but I'll go with:

Clouds Of Loneliness, Couchiching, Sometimes I Wish (I think this is really cool prod work, under the circumstances, by Bob Doidge...the whole feel of the chorus always brings me warmth, yet a shiver)

I echo Winter Claw with his/her comment regarding my middle tune pick but, IMO, seeing Gord have such fun singing this live and the audience having even more fun listening steps it up several notches
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
RaisinSpores

fezo, I wasn't always crazy about "10 Degrees," but it has really grown on me, especially the lyrics. I've always loved "Miguel"--great lyrics and a gorgeous melody. "Go My Way" is such a great, simple song. SSL is my favorite album.....or maybe second favorite behind 'Sundown'. 'Don Quixote' is my third fave. If I had to choose three in a row from 'Don Quixote' I'd go with the last three: "Beautiful," "On Susan's Floor," and "The Patriot's Dream." Pretty odd choice, huh?

This is an interesting topic. I wonder why more people haven't responded to it.

[ November 22, 2006, 15:49: Message edited by: Winter's Claw ]
RaisinSpores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Winter's Claw

fezo, I wasn't always crazy about "10 Degrees," but it has really grown on me, especially the lyrics. I've always loved "Miguel"--great lyrics and a gorgeous melody. "Go My Way" is such a great, simple song. SSL is my favorite album.....or maybe second favorite behind 'Sundown'. 'Don Quixote' is my third fave. If I had to choose three in a row from 'Don Quixote' I'd go with the last three: "Beautiful," "On Susan's Floor," and "The Patriot's Dream." Pretty odd choice, huh?

This is an interesting topic. I wonder why more people haven't responded to it.

[ November 22, 2006, 15:49: Message edited by: Winter's Claw ]
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
CanadaGirl38

You have good taste in albums! Those would likely be my three as well. That was such a good period. To me he was at his peak right as Warner Brothers signed him - If You Could Read My Mind (I still have a terrible condition vinyl of that album with the title Sit Down Young Stranger) through Summertime Dream. Doesn't get any better.

Oh - there's three you could go with - Summertime Dream - first three right out of the box - Race Among the Ruins, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and I'm Not Supposed to Care. Whoa!

I don't quite get a three in a row on Don Quixote, but it is so sprinkled with great tunes - the title cut, Alberta Bound, Brave Mountaineers, Second Cup of Coffee, The Patriot's Dream.....
Old 11-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
fezo

You have good taste in albums! Those would likely be my three as well. That was such a good period. To me he was at his peak right as Warner Brothers signed him - If You Could Read My Mind (I still have a terrible condition vinyl of that album with the title Sit Down Young Stranger) through Summertime Dream. Doesn't get any better.

Oh - there's three you could go with - Summertime Dream - first three right out of the box - Race Among the Ruins, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and I'm Not Supposed to Care. Whoa!

I don't quite get a three in a row on Don Quixote, but it is so sprinkled with great tunes - the title cut, Alberta Bound, Brave Mountaineers, Second Cup of Coffee, The Patriot's Dream.....
Old 11-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Borderstone

From Sit Down Young Stranger/IYCRMM: LP-

Me and Bobby McGee
Approaching Lavendar
Saturday Clothes

That's a very good 3 in a row!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
patrick

It's been a while since I posted around here, just catching up a bit.

I'm with jj regarding the song Sometimes I Wish, Doidge's arrangement is great, It's become my favorite song on HARMONY.

The SUNDOWN album, for me at least, is like 10 songs in a row that I don't get tired of playing over and over.

There's a number of 3-packs I'd pick though, my musical tastes might not be the same as everyone's but in addition to those mentioned, I'd add:

From SHADOWS:

-Triangle
-I'll Do Anything
-She's Not the Same

From DSMMN - The strings may be a bit overdone but I still like the songs

-Magnificent Outpouring
-Does Your Mother Know?
-Mountains and MaryAnn

There there's the last three songs on SSOL (okay, well, Cabaret is a bit of a drag at the start but finishes well)

And then, there's the last three songs on TWIF.

-Andy
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #16
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

It's been a while since I posted around here, just catching up a bit.

I'm with jj regarding the song Sometimes I Wish, Doidge's arrangement is great, It's become my favorite song on HARMONY.

The SUNDOWN album, for me at least, is like 10 songs in a row that I don't get tired of playing over and over.

There's a number of 3-packs I'd pick though, my musical tastes might not be the same as everyone's but in addition to those mentioned, I'd add:

From SHADOWS:

-Triangle
-I'll Do Anything
-She's Not the Same

From DSMMN - The strings may be a bit overdone but I still like the songs

-Magnificent Outpouring
-Does Your Mother Know?
-Mountains and MaryAnn

There there's the last three songs on SSOL (okay, well, Cabaret is a bit of a drag at the start but finishes well)

And then, there's the last three songs on TWIF.

-Andy
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Hey, Andy! Nice to hear from you!

I'd second your last three on TWIF. The first two are in my top 10 favorites for sure. Maybe top 5 (CRT is #1, and the next 5 or 6 rotate). The last song, although not in my top 10 or even top 20, is a wonderful song that I always enjoy. I suspect that this trio is as good as it gets for me. (IYCRMM and DQ are my two favorite albums, but I can't get three in row that I would rate as high as what you found on TWIF).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

High&Dry
Seven Island Suite
Circle Of Steel

High&Dry
The Wreck Of The Edmunf Fitz
The Pony Man

Blackberry Wine
Heaven Help The Devil
Thank You For The Promises

Only Love Would Know
Welcome To Try
I'll Prove My Love

I guess a threesome can be a good thing (as long as it's not the kind you have in the bedroom. :D )
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
CanadaGirl38

Nice choices, all!

You made me go back to TWIF. Man, that is maybe the best side two of all the UA albums - great stuff! And then it has Walls, an old favorite on the other side!

Tony Rice does a nice version of Walls but commits the terrible sin of leaving off the sock verse!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
fezo

Nice choices, all!

You made me go back to TWIF. Man, that is maybe the best side two of all the UA albums - great stuff! And then it has Walls, an old favorite on the other side!

Tony Rice does a nice version of Walls but commits the terrible sin of leaving off the sock verse!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Hi Fezo, this is a great thread...

My 3 in a row would be:

{1} Gotta Get Away
{2} Whispers Of The North
{3} Someone To Beleive In
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Hi Fezo, this is a great thread...

My 3 in a row would be:

{1} Gotta Get Away
{2} Whispers Of The North
{3} Someone To Beleive In
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #23
Borderstone

From "Lightfoot"!:

Early Morning Rain
Steel Rail Blues
and 16 Miles To 7 Lakes.

(If we were doing 4,I'd add "Changes" before "E.M.R." )
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
CanadaGirl38

Don't get greedy now..... that's a great three. These thing sare appearing all over the place. Surprise?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #25
fezo

Don't get greedy now..... that's a great three. These thing sare appearing all over the place. Surprise?