banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
lilmusic

In 1999 my wife and I were in Ceske Budjovice, Czech Republic, and heard "Sundown" in Czech being played over the sound system in a sidewalk cafe (where we sat down and had a Budvar while we lietened, of course!). Does anyone know of Gordon Lightfoot tunes in Czech being available on CD/cassette/any other media? TIA, - Gary
lilmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #2
data5

In 1999 my wife and I were in Ceske Budjovice, Czech Republic, and heard "Sundown" in Czech being played over the sound system in a sidewalk cafe (where we sat down and had a Budvar while we lietened, of course!). Does anyone know of Gordon Lightfoot tunes in Czech being available on CD/cassette/any other media? TIA, - Gary
data5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by data5:
Does anyone know of Gordon Lightfoot tunes in Czech being available on CD/cassette/any other media? TIA, - Gary
Sorry Gary I missed your posting and have only just seen it
Yes Gord does seem to be popular in what is oow the Czech Republic
witness:-

HUDBA A SLOVA
Reprise (Czechoslovakia) (ZD 1 13 1927)
This is the Czech release of Cold On The Shoulder
Sorry that is the tiny pic from Wayne's site
I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK who bought found a copy on Ebay some years ago and can add that there is even

more interesting stuff on this site:- http://sunnyside.cz/MUSIC/en/Sunny-english.html
Click on the link "CD,MP3,LYRICS"
and then under "MP3 SAMPLES AND LYRICS" click on the top one listed on the right
"Necekej už dál" click on that link to hear (after downloading) a very small (177KB) mp3 which plays as a delightful 45 second
sample which reveals that this is no less than the Czech Bluegrasss group Greenhorn's version of Ribbon Of Darkness
Then clicking on the small yellow blob after that unlikely song title brings up the actual Czech translation of Gord's song!!
I was tipped of about this by an ultra keen fan who told me she got the link from somebody who must have googled for months to find it!!
Anyway the site does give CD ordering details
Enjoy

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited September 20, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by data5:
Does anyone know of Gordon Lightfoot tunes in Czech being available on CD/cassette/any other media? TIA, - Gary
Sorry Gary I missed your posting and have only just seen it
Yes Gord does seem to be popular in what is oow the Czech Republic
witness:-

HUDBA A SLOVA
I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK who bought found a copy on Ebay some years ago and can add that there is even

more interesting stuff on this site:- http://sunnyside.cz/MUSIC/en/Sunny-english.html
Click on the link "CD,MP3,LYRICS"
and then under "MP3 SAMPLES AND LYRICS" click on the top one listed on the right
"Necekej už dál" click on that link to hear (after downloading) a very small (177KB) mp3 which plays as a delightful 45 second
sample which reveals that this is no less than the Czech Bluegrasss group Greenhorn's version of Ribbon Of Darkness
Then clicking on the small yellow blob after that unlikely song title brings up the actual Czech translation of Gord's song!!
I was tipped of about this by an ultra keen fan who told me she got the link from somebody who must have googled for months to find it!!
Anyway the site does give CD ordering details
Enjoy

------------------
starts at

Old 09-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
[QUOTE]
HUDBA A SLOVA
I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK

---------------------------------------------
Amazing the very day I spot a topic that I had missed about Lightfoot and the Czech Republic and mmention Hudba A Slova and said "I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK" I find that the said collecter one Brian Walters has put what might well be all his Lghtfoot rarities up for ebay auction including Hudba & Slova (which I forgot to add earlier I translated on a Czech-English site as "Words and Music".
its auction is at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4038901691
If you go there and click on "view sellers other items" you can see the range he is disposing.Very conveniently and usefully Brian has put up pictures showing both front and back of his offerings
for example the Czech record:-

I can just see Gaby and co (or at least Brits not about to splash out on Trans-Atlantic Travel) pushing up the prices shortly!!!

------------------
starts at

Old 09-20-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by johnfowles:
[QUOTE]
HUDBA A SLOVA
I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK

---------------------------------------------
Amazing the very day I spot a topic that I had missed about Lightfoot and the Czech Republic and mmention Hudba A Slova and said "I have seen one copy of this in the collection of one avid album collector in the UK" I find that the said collecter one Brian Walters has put what might well be all his Lghtfoot rarities up for ebay auction including Hudba & Slova (which I forgot to add earlier I translated on a Czech-English site as "Words and Music".
its auction is at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4038901691
If you go there and click on "view sellers other items" you can see the range he is disposing.Very conveniently and usefully Brian has put up pictures showing both front and back of his offerings
for example the Czech record:-

I can just see Gaby and co (or at least Brits not about to splash out on Trans-Atlantic Travel) pushing up the prices shortly!!!

------------------
starts at