banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: Terry Clements Guitar?

I knew there was a thread about the patch on Gord's guitar and a discussion about Terry's guitars!
here's pics from RonJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Terry's Gretch.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	2527   Click image for larger version

Name:	TerrysMartin.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	2528   Click image for larger version

Name:	GordsGibson-Terry'sguitar.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoots2ndB45.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2530  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #27
Tim

When my family and I met Gordon and the band at Aurora in Sept 2007, my son noticed that Terry was using a different guitar from the D-18 he had been using. When we spoke to Terry after the concert, he indicated that Gordon switched his 6-string guitar from his Martin D-28 to a Martin D-18. So, to get a sound distinctive from Gordon's guitar, Terry switched to this parlor-shaped guitar. He said it was personnally designed for him by a gentleman "who has since passed away." This must be the OM-45 referred to in Jesse Joe's post above.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #28
fezo

OM size guitars are wonderful. They are basically a 000 with a slightly different neck length if I have that right. I have one that a friend and bandmate of mine who is also a part time luthier made. Wonderful sound.

Glad to see this topic back at the top. guitar talk is always fun.... Besides, someone will spot what I said about OMs and 000s and know exactly the difference and educate me...
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
bjm7777

Great pix of Gord and his gear. I started a thread a few days back about the pickguard patches. The explanation given certainly makes sense. By the way, does Lightfoot have a McGlincey or a D-45 on the cover of Dreamstreet Rose? There's a pix of him on Waiting For You that shows the same guitar, as well as a YouTube video of a 1979 performance of If You Could Read My Mind, with the same axe.

I have never had much to do with the OOO-body guitars - I did own a maple-bodied concert-sized guitar with a cutout - hated it. Good for finger work, though. I have kept with dreads, myself - Guild, Martin, and Blueridge. Anyway, I could go on all day about gear. Like I said, great pictures.
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #30
fezo

I love 000 size. Better yet is what they alternately call M or 0000 size - jumbo size with 000 depth. Anything sounds good on it.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #31
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Ok, this should answer most your questions and it is the correct spelling of the late Ed McGlincys name. From an article in 2000.

Gordon Lightfoot plays a pair of 12-string Gibson B-45-12s from the 1960s. He uses two of them on stage: one in standard tuning, the other capoed at the third fret with the lowest pair of strings dropped to D. The instruments appear on Lightfoot album covers stretching back to the '60s, although the guitar seen on the Sundown cover was lost on the road many years ago. The cover of Lightfoot's earliest LP, Lightfoot, shows a Martin D-28 that was subsequently stolen. He acquired a later model D-28, which he keeps at home along with an ornate custom Brazilian rosewood dreadnought (seen on the cover of Dream Street Rose) by Ed McGlincy (220 Delsea Dr., Westville, NJ 08093; (Since passed away), who has retired from guitarmaking for health reasons. On stage, he also plays a Martin D-18 from the '30s or '40s.
In the last decade or so, Lightfoot added pickups to his acoustic guitars, a change from the mic-only stage setup he described in a 1985 Frets magazine interview. His pickup of choice is a Fishman Acoustic Matrix II, which he mixes with a Shure SM-57 microphone and feeds into a direct box and then into the mixing board and a Fender Twin Reverb amp he uses as a stage monitor.
Lightfoot's preferred flatpick is a Yamaha ("the older model you can't get anymore") that's a little thinner than Terry Clements' D'Andrea medium, and his capo is a Shubb Deluxe. He uses Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze strings, but substitutes a D'Addario .053 11th on the "straight" 12-string, "because [Ernie Ball] doesn't make the odd .053." The other 12-string takes the same configuration but with an .054 on the dropped 11th string. He also substitutes a phosphor-bronze low G (fifth) on the 12-strings because "it makes it easier to hear." For his Martin, "the medium-light Ernie Ball set really gives a lot of snap," says Lightfoot. "I raised my gauges on the low end a little bit, and I found that it helped."
Although he was at the Newport Folk Festival when Bob Dylan committed his legendary plugged-in heresy, Lightfoot also keeps a couple of electrics: an old Fender Telecaster ("My 17-year-old son learned to play guitar on that one") and a Gibson SG seen on the back of the 1983 Salute album.
Terry Clements, Lightfoot's longtime lead guitarist, relies on two 1964 Martin D-18s and two Gretsch electrics (a 1964 Tennessean and a 1976 Country Gentleman, the latter his primary stage ax) that have infused themselves into the Lightfoot sound. The Gretsches have a warm bass sound and sparkly treble that work especially well with folk music, but with chorus and distortion they can also sound the Edmund Fitzgerald klaxon/siren wail.
On stage, Clements uses a Roland JC-120 amplifier for the electric, and a Fender Deluxe Reverb for the acoustic. He uses a Boss pedalboard for both the Martin (chorus and a Boss TU-12 tuner) and Gretsch (delay, chorus, fuzz, tuner), and his Martins are fitted with Fishman Acoustic Matrix II pickups.
Like Lightfoot, Clements favors Ernie Ball strings. "They're great strings," he says. "In my many years, very few times have I ever come up with a lemon. They hang right in there, too." He favors gauges .050, .040, .030, .022, .015, and .010, very light for something like a Martin D-18, but, he says, "I have to use a lighter set because I do a lot of bends." Clements uses nickel-wound electric strings on the Gretsches. "The Country Gentleman's neck is so long," he says, "that I can't use a .017 unwound. Instead I use a .020 wound, which is fairly heavy for an electric." His capo is a Hamilton, which he describes as an "orthopedic device" compared to the sleek modern designs.
Clements has a 000-size McGlincy that is identical in appointments to Lightfoot's dreadnought. He also keeps a Martin 0-18 strung in Nashville tuning--with the bottom four strings an octave higher than standard--and a couple of gut-string guitars in his studio, complemented on the electric side by a '60s Rickenbacker 360-12 (as played by Roger McGuinn), a '59 Stratocaster, a '79 Telecaster, a Fender bass, and a Gibson Les Paul.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #32
bjm7777

To "JohninCt" - thanks so much. I now have a "gear high", and I should be good for the day. Lots of good information and thanks - so it IS a McGlincy on Dream Street Rose.
I am not a professional musician, but I have used those Ernie Ball Earthwood strings since 1980 on the advice of a buddy of mine who played Bluegrass (which I don't play). Thanks again.
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #33
Buckwheat301

I talked to Terry Sunday night after the Saginaw show. He played his McGlincy at that show. He said he still has his D-18's (plural). He said he had it made from the same woods as his D-18. He also wishes McGlincy was still with us so he could refinish the guitar. What an awesome guy!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #34
Vernon Kindred

I have a high degree of certainty that the guitar with no pick guard in these pictures is a "McGlincy." Another is pictured on the inside cover of "Waiting for You". That one is described in the January 2000 issue of Acoustic Guitar under the title of "What They Play." In part the article describes that guitar as, "...an ornate custom Brazilian rosewood dreadnought (seen on the cover of Dream Street Rose) by Ed McGlincy..." They fail to mention the "Waiting for You" picture. Ed's guitars are visually distinguishable by two things: 1. no traditional pick guard, and 2. a "bracket-shaped" head
{.

I have much more information about Ed and his guitars if anyone is interested.
Vernon Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
Jesse Joe

You are right Vernon... it is a McGlincy Guitar. And I also do have that article found in 'Acoustic Guitar' under the title of "What They Play." It's an interesting read especially the part about the 'Ernie Ball Guitar String' guages that Lightfoot uses on both his 12 string Gibson B-45 & his 6 string Martin D-18. A real pro he is if you ask me.

http://www.acguitar.com/issues/ag85/gear85.shtml
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
Jesse Joe

Pictured here is Gordon Lightfoot with his McGlincy Guitar from "Complete Greatest Hits" & "Gord's Gold Volume 2."

Notice his guitar does have a clear pick guard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	3595   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	3596  
Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #37
JohninCt.

I kind of remember that some time back Terry told me they had paid around $2400 for the guitars, I think that was for each of them, but of course my old age may have sunk in and distorted that.

Last edited by JohninCt.; 08-07-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #38
jj

wow, the knowledge and detail in this thread is mind numbing....good stuff

when folks ask if i have an instrument, i say, "a wood guitar, it has 6 strings"
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #39
Vernon Kindred

Thanks, Jesse Joe for the info AND the pictures.
Vernon Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #40
Jesse Joe

Most welcome Vernon !
Old 03-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #41
alex

He played an Ed McGlincy. Gord does. (It has his been featured on album covers.)

I am blessed by luck to own one. See my "Social Site" "McGLINCY Guitars.

You can see mine.
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #42
alex

Default Gord & Terry's "Mystery" Guitar: The McGlincy

Custom made, there were only nine ever created (according to sources).
I am bleesed to have had one built for me (The seventh: The one after Terry's).

To see photos of mine (and Gord's, as conveyed on Albums), go to SOCIAL GROUP: McGLINCY GUITAR

I have owned mine, since 1983.

What I can not convey, is its' wonderful resonance. A true aural masterwork.
(It put D-45's to shame. Even my old D-50 had to blush...The D-50 sounded close, but it was no Ed McGlincy.)

Do Visit and Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #43
alex

Default Re: Gord & Terry's "Mystery" Guitar: The McGlincy

P.S.

Go to "Quick Links" (next to "Log Out', above), select "Social Groups".
Find "McGLINCY GUITAR".
Click "Show all pictures"

I will answer your questions, as time permits.
More photographs will be added, if there is sufficient interest.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 AM   #44
alex

Don't forget to click "All Pictures" or words to the effect.

I am happy to solve the mystery, for those of you who were curious and never did recieve a satisfactory explanation about this Instrument...I am sorry it has taken so long...better late, than never at all.
(Although I have been a member of this Group, for years, I have rarely posted. (One post made, was not mine. It was some sort of spoof, or spam. This soured me and made me a bit reticent to post anything. However, I would "lurk" and observe, from time-to-time. I finally became motivated to share thoughts and reveal insights, upon the learning of poor Terry's death. My intention was validated, upon witnessing the common outpouring of respect for the Man. I still can't believe he is gone. I will miss him, terribly. The world is now a poorer place.)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #45
jj

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing...what a gem

I'd never seen that last Gord pic

Those are nasty "bell" bottoms!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #46
alex

ANOTHER WAY to see the McGLINCY photos:

Click my name (alex) and then, click the album.

Enjoy! (Do click "View All". I've posted 17 photos, to date.)
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #47
charlene

Is there a direct link that can be posted?
thankyou.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #48
alex

This may work:

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/album.php?albumid=23
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #49
charlene

thanks...I didn't realize it was here at CORFID!
lol
beautiful guitars..thanks for posting!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #50
JohninCt.

Alex, have you ever heard of any of the McGlincys being resold by an original owner ?