banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-20-2003, 12:25 AM   #1
steve gittins

Hello all, I also enjoy Bluegrass music. Alot of great guitar picking in that genre. I recently bought the new Tony Rice CD, "Bluegrass Guitar Collections." It's very good. Noticed that Tony Rice made a CD a few years ago called "Tony Rice sings Gordon Lightfoot." How is that? What are your opinions of this CD?
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
BendRick

Hello all, I also enjoy Bluegrass music. Alot of great guitar picking in that genre. I recently bought the new Tony Rice CD, "Bluegrass Guitar Collections." It's very good. Noticed that Tony Rice made a CD a few years ago called "Tony Rice sings Gordon Lightfoot." How is that? What are your opinions of this CD?
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 08:20 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by RenoRick:

My opinion is, if you like Lightfoot, and you like Tony Rice, AND you like bluegrass, you'd better go out and buy this CD. It's a good one.
I just started learning bluegrass banjo this past summer, and although I've neglected my daily practices here and there (I can't seem to get this new Martin guitar and the old fiddle out of my hands), I must say, playing banjo is a heck of a lot of fun.
I'm hoping for an Alison Krauss & Union Station sings Gordon Lightfoot CD.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:17 AM   #4
Shane

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! Cathy I am with you. "Alison sings Gordon" would be wonderful! I read once that when she records a number she asks herself if Tony would record it. Alison and Tony have a deep admiration for each other. Interestingly, she has been on several Tribute albums as of late.

"Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot" Is superb! A must for any fan of acoustic music.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
Scott Mac

[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! Cathy I am with you. "Alison sings Gordon" would be wonderful! I read once that when she records a number she asks herself if Tony would record it. Alison and Tony have a deep admiration for each other. Interestingly, she has been on several Tribute albums as of late.

"Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot" Is superb! A must for any fan of acoustic music.

Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Scott Mac:

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think Alison singing just about anything is wonderful. With that voice, and the backup band she has, it's impossible for her to make a bad recording.

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:24 AM   #7
BrightSide

I must add my enthusiastic agreement that the Tony Rice/Lightfoot LP is a must! It's very accessible, even to those who might not always like bluegrass. His cover of "Whispers of the North" is my favorite cut. Rice had a marvelous deep voice, but unfortunately does not sing anymore because of damage to his vocal cords.
BrightSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:24 AM   #8
MaryEllen

I must add my enthusiastic agreement that the Tony Rice/Lightfoot LP is a must! It's very accessible, even to those who might not always like bluegrass. His cover of "Whispers of the North" is my favorite cut. Rice had a marvelous deep voice, but unfortunately does not sing anymore because of damage to his vocal cords.
MaryEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:09 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot is a "must own" IMNSHO.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #10
Shane

It is so neat that there are fellow Tony Rice fans right here in Corfidland. Merry Christmas!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 09:50 AM   #11
Scott Mac

It is so neat that there are fellow Tony Rice fans right here in Corfidland. Merry Christmas!
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:29 AM   #12
Sheila Ann

I have this CD and it really is a treasure. It is a tribute to Gordon Lightfoot by a genuine fan who is, IMHO, a master in his own right. Several of Tony Rice's other albums have at least one Lightfoot song on them. Definitely worth purchasing.
SheilaB
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #13
Restless

Its a classic. Not because its Lightfoot songs, but because its damn good bluegrass! Tony can no longer sing so get ahold of this. Other bluegrass artist who have done Gord songs are Loose Ties- Song for a winters night (xmas album) Mac Wiseman did an entire Gord album long before T Rice did. Its a must too! Jd Crowe and the New South has done many gord songs including when tony rice was with them. Nanci Griffiths -Other Voices cd has Gords- 10 degrees and getting colder on it.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #14
Tarheel

It has its place that is for sure. A place it will surely hold in history per'se as it pertains to historical contexts in regards to muscial sales in cd's cassetes and lp.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
Tarheel

It has its place that is for sure. A place it will surely hold in history per'se as it pertains to historical contexts in regards to muscial sales in cd's cassetes and lp.