banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Gitchigumee

On www.lightfoot.ca, there are some photo updates that I didn't see until the other day in the band section:

http://www.lightfoot.ca/quotes.htm

http://www.lightfoot.ca/profiles.htm
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
imported_Next_Saturday

On www.lightfoot.ca, there are some photo updates that I didn't see until the other day in the band section:

imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Neato!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
bkkbkbkb

Wow! One of my pictures of Mike Hefferman is on there that I took at the Meadowbrook show!!!

I wonder who sent that in to Mr. Francis???

Good thing I got my pictures copywritten.. they seem to be getting around the net these days.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
MorningGlory

Wow! One of my pictures of Mike Hefferman is on there that I took at the Meadowbrook show!!!

Good thing I got my pictures copywritten.. they seem to be getting around the net these days.
MorningGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by Next_Saturday:

>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>> >>>>>>>
Really COOL pics! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by MorningGlory:

Mary I do not wish to instigate yet another controversy over something you are saying but I would have thought that you would have been honoured that Wayne chose a picture of yours out of all the pictures of Michael Heffernan that are floating around, and that he is free to see and save from the internet without as you put it so quaintly anybody having to send it to him, that admittedly he then cropped to suit his purpose of entertaining us all.In fact he must have seen it when you displayed it in your topic at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=004019#000000
and I for one am pleased to see this evidence that Mr Francis keeps an eye on postings on this forum
What troubles me more is that you seem to feel that you "got your pictures copywritten". OK that is your prerogerative but forgive me if I am wrong but I can see no indication in your various postings that any of your fine pictures were so covered.I assumed as did zoneranger obviously that you had presented them here and thereby put them in the public domain as have other fans for us all to enjoy.
I will soon send you a PM telling you of a simple and free programme I have used to actually imprint copyright .. year... your name on any picture
Maybe then people would repect the integrity of your art and not crop any pix or cover them with lettering etc
Johnny Cakes and ale!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by MorningGlory:

Mary I do not wish to instigate yet another controversy over something you are saying but I would have thought that you would have been honoured that Wayne chose a picture of yours out of all the pictures of Michael Heffernan that are floating around, and that he is free to see and save from the internet without as you put it so quaintly anybody having to send it to him, that admittedly he then cropped to suit his purpose of entertaining us all.In fact he must have seen it when you displayed it in your topic at:-
and I for one am pleased to see this evidence that Mr Francis keeps an eye on postings on this forum
What troubles me more is that you seem to feel that you "got your pictures copywritten". OK that is your prerogerative but forgive me if I am wrong but I can see no indication in your various postings that any of your fine pictures were so covered.I assumed as did zoneranger obviously that you had presented them here and thereby put them in the public domain as have other fans for us all to enjoy.
I will soon send you a PM telling you of a simple and free programme I have used to actually imprint copyright .. year... your name on any picture
Maybe then people would repect the integrity of your art and not crop any pix or cover them with lettering etc
Johnny Cakes and ale!!
Old 09-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Mary, just ask Wayne to remove it, or to credit it to you (if you wish to grant permission). He will probably be agreeable to one or the the other. You did put your copyright at jeopardy by not including a copyright statement when you posted the pictures (even a single statement "All photos (are copyrighted) by ..." would have been sufficient. However, legally (i.e., in a court of law), you can probably prove that you took the picture originally, and that is all that is needed. Registering the work just makes it easy to assert your ownership rights.

When I use pictures on my own web site, I always ask permission and always include a photo credit when it is known. I use only publicity photos without credits when they don't include the photographer's name (and they usually do not).

Interestingly, I have found that a simple photo credit is sufficient. I have never seen any of the non-publicity picture on my site on any other web site.

On the other hand, I do know of one professional photographer who discovered one of his photos in a book, used without permission or compensation. He took to putting copyright/watermarks over his online photos so that nobody else could do that. (Even when you are the undisputed copyright owner, getting the money due isn't always easy).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
johnfowles

Thank you very much Val for your clarification of this grevious matter
I said would contact Mary by PM to give her the information on the copyright programme that I have previously used,
but having also received an email from another keen photographer asking for details .I though I would initially post some
information here. The programme is cleverly called "copyright left" and the author has a pretty descriptive website at:-
http://www.lunerouge.org/gnu/crl_e.htm
He shows this sample there

and you can download a free zipfile of 799 kb called
copyrightleft.zip which will install
CopyRightLeft 0.4 Beta
(C) 2002 by Lionel P. Allorge
in the included "readme" file he says
"This program will help you add a copyright bar on or under a picture.
There is a batch mode to process several files at once."
Using it takes a little trial and error
but the opening default setting easily allows for a simple copyright line in an added black bar

[
the bar color can be changed in colour and depth allowing for the creative addition of text whether descriptive

Or a warning request and/or demand

i hope that helps
John Fowles
i also notice that there are options to use any font that is on your computer and to add the bar and text orientated
vertically but I have failed so far to work out how to superimpose the text onto the actual picture, as in Lionel's example above,
instead of in a new bar at top.bottom or side.
So please if anybody succeeds perhaps they could post details of this elusive technique here.
two other points while I am at it:-
1 I noticed that the programme is able to save any picture whether unaltered or annotated in a range of formats , hence it
is also a format conversion tool
2.Another method is to use a graphics programme to crop resize etc
forexample the free Irfan View from:-
http://www.irfanview.com/
or if you already have it MGI Photosuite or Photoshop
then you can add make a montage or add crappy graphics/lettering using a suitable draw or desktop publishing programme
I can recommend a fine pair of freebies from Serif
Pageplus and Drawplus
both of which I bought as a bundle on multiple floppies eons ago but which are now available for completely free download from:-
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/
which also offers free "old" versions of Photoplus and Webplus a simply splendid site, designed to gently entice you into
buying the later versions of course.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
johnfowles

Thank you very much Val for your clarification of this grevious matter
I said would contact Mary by PM to give her the information on the copyright programme that I have previously used,
but having also received an email from another keen photographer asking for details .I though I would initially post some
information here. The programme is cleverly called "copyright left" and the author has a pretty descriptive website at:-
http://www.lunerouge.org/gnu/crl_e.htm
He shows this sample there

and you can download a free zipfile of 799 kb called
copyrightleft.zip which will install
CopyRightLeft 0.4 Beta
(C) 2002 by Lionel P. Allorge
in the included "readme" file he says
"This program will help you add a copyright bar on or under a picture.
There is a batch mode to process several files at once."
Using it takes a little trial and error
but the opening default setting easily allows for a simple copyright line in an added black bar

[
the bar color can be changed in colour and depth allowing for the creative addition of text whether descriptive

Or a warning request and/or demand

i hope that helps
John Fowles
i also notice that there are options to use any font that is on your computer and to add the bar and text orientated
vertically but I have failed so far to work out how to superimpose the text onto the actual picture, as in Lionel's example above,
instead of in a new bar at top.bottom or side.
So please if anybody succeeds perhaps they could post details of this elusive technique here.
two other points while I am at it:-
1 I noticed that the programme is able to save any picture whether unaltered or annotated in a range of formats , hence it
is also a format conversion tool
2.Another method is to use a graphics programme to crop resize etc
forexample the free Irfan View from:-
http://www.irfanview.com/
or if you already have it MGI Photosuite or Photoshop
then you can add make a montage or add crappy graphics/lettering using a suitable draw or desktop publishing programme
I can recommend a fine pair of freebies from Serif
Pageplus and Drawplus
both of which I bought as a bundle on multiple floppies eons ago but which are now available for completely free download from:-
http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/
which also offers free "old" versions of Photoplus and Webplus a simply splendid site, designed to gently entice you into
buying the later versions of course.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
bkkbkbkb

Thanks you all. Already talked to Wayne Francis last week, just was curious (not mad) who sent it in, because I didn't do it. I've already sent my photos off to the L of C for copyrights.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
MorningGlory

Thanks you all. Already talked to Wayne Francis last week, just was curious (not mad) who sent it in, because I didn't do it. I've already sent my photos off to the L of C for copyrights.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
bkkbkbkb

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by MorningGlory:

Johnny Cakes and ale!!
[/QUOTE]Johnny Cakes, i think you misunderstood what i was saying. I e-mailed Mr. Francis to see who sent it in. He said he'd take it down but I told him it was an honor to see it there on his site. He was very nice about it.

I'm not trying to start any controversy with you or anyone else.

Mr. Francis said he gets so many pictures submitted to his site that he didn't know who sent it in.

I cropped the picture of Mike that way myself because Gord's face was overexposed, thus ruining the whole band pic. I cropped out another picture of Barry Keane to to save what i could of that photo.

My sister's boyfriend is an attorney up in Michigan and he is handling the copyright forms and processing them for me free of charge!! He said they were good and I should protect my work.

I have some Photo software and am working on the copyright watermarks and symbols on it too. But thanks for posting those links. You've always been so helpful and I appreciate it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
MorningGlory

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
quote:Originally posted by MorningGlory:

Johnny Cakes and ale!!
[/QUOTE]Johnny Cakes, i think you misunderstood what i was saying. I e-mailed Mr. Francis to see who sent it in. He said he'd take it down but I told him it was an honor to see it there on his site. He was very nice about it.

I'm not trying to start any controversy with you or anyone else.

Mr. Francis said he gets so many pictures submitted to his site that he didn't know who sent it in.

I cropped the picture of Mike that way myself because Gord's face was overexposed, thus ruining the whole band pic. I cropped out another picture of Barry Keane to to save what i could of that photo.

My sister's boyfriend is an attorney up in Michigan and he is handling the copyright forms and processing them for me free of charge!! He said they were good and I should protect my work.

I have some Photo software and am working on the copyright watermarks and symbols on it too. But thanks for posting those links. You've always been so helpful and I appreciate it.