banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Hamilton Camp died suddenly on October 2, 2005. He is survived by 6 children and 13 grandchildren.

Hamilton Camp was an actor, a singer, and a songwriter. His acting career started at age 12 in 1946; his music career began in 1960, when he and Bob Gibson made their mark on folk music.

In the spring of 2004, he appeared as Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night at A Noise Within in Los Angeles. F. Kathleen Foley, writing for the LA Times, said this of his performance:

"Hamilton Camp, who plays the buffoonish courtier, Sir Andrew Aguecheek, is bar none the funniest character in the show. A master of the discreet double take, Camp is outrageously silly but never cheap, always keeping his wackiness well within the confines of Taborl's realistic construct." - LA Times, March 26, 2004

In July of that year, Hamilton appeared in A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Hollywood Bowl, and reprised his role as Snug The Joiner in the production at A Noise Within in Los Angeles during the Fall. During the summers of 2004 and 2005 he coached theater games in Door County, Wisconsin.

In January, 2005, he traveled to the Washington, DC area for appearances at the World Folk Music Association annual benefit concerts (January 14 & 15), and a concert at Jammin' Java on the 16th. Read my informal report on the weekend here.

He finished work on the movie Hard Four (watch the trailer) in the spring of 2005, and just completed a new original album scheduled for release later this year.

With consummate skill, wit and and abundance of talent, he bridged these two disciplines throughout his life, and leaves a wonderful legacy of music and films.

------------ http://hamiltoncamp.com/
(Thanks, Val)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Sydney Steve

And it's good night from him...

The wonderful british comedian/actor Ronnie Barker will no longer utter those immortal words..

The Two Ronnnies now just the one.....

I'm pretty sure Mr Fowles will have something to say on this...
Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

And while we're calling the roll, so to speak, Nipsey Russell also died, age 80 (hard to believe.)
Old 10-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Borderstone

Isn't it strange how just a few short months back we had a thread about Hamilton Camp? We talked about his folk songwriting and singing. He did have a great voice.

Besides the few TV appearences most of us know him for,he's been in more things than we really know. I first saw him on "SOAP" as mobster "Tibbs" and on MASH as Cpl. "Boots" Miller and aslo as Major Frankenheimer. Here's a quick list of things you may or may not have seen him on and or in.

1953's "Titanic" as a Messenger boy.
American Hot Wax
Heaven Can Wait
Roadie
S.O.B.
(Voice of:Greedy Smurf/"Harmony" Smurf)
Mr. Wainright on "Too Close For Comfort"
Bart Furley,"3's Company"
City Heat (w/ Burt Reynolds & Clint E.)
(Voice over's on Scooby-Doo animated movies)
Ducktales & Darkwing Duck
Teenage M. Ninja Turtles (Voice overs)
1988's "Bird".
Dick Tracy
"The Two Of Us"-CBS sitcom 1981 (Sang "Danny Boy" and played a plumber.)
"Gordy"
4 episdoes of Titus
recent Star Trek Series
ER
WKRP In Cincinatti
Murphy Brown
The Andy Griffith Show ("The Barber Shop Quartet" episode).
and Dec. 12th 2004 on Desperate Housewives and
(A film currently in post-producton,"Hard Four" his last).

He was only 28 days away from turning 71.
Rest in Peace Hamilton.

[ October 04, 2005, 17:05: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Borderstone

Excuse my second posting but I wanted to talk about Nipsey Russell seperately. I remember being 7-8 years old and first seeing him on a Bert Convy hosted game show (I think most of them were then ) called,"Rhyme or Reason". The end of each show featured Nipsey reciting one of his "rhymes". I always waited for that part.

In one of our Christmas photos from then,the TV is in the shot and took apicture of that show (I can't remeber if he;s in the picture though.)
He was also on Match Game several times and made a movie in the mid-80s with Goldie Hawn called "Wildcats". Where he helps her out in becoming the 1st female coach of his team's school. Very good movie. I think he might have done,"To Tell The truth also.

I'll remember him most for that time when I was a kid though. It was cool to see a man express himself that way and not be embarrassed to do so.
Whatever the rhyme or reason,R.I.P Nipsey.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

From Theater News, October 4:

Actor Hamilton Camp Dies at 70
By: Brian Scott Lipton

Hamilton Camp, who appeared in the Broadway musical On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, died on October 2 at the age of 70 in Los Angeles.
Camp was born in England. He had a varied career as an actor in film and television and, as a folk musician, performing under the name of Bob Camp. His film credits include Heaven Can Wait, Dick Tracy, Joe Dirt, and the TV movie Copacabana, based on the Barry Manilow song.

He made his Broadway debut in the 1964 musical revue The Committee, and later appeared in the short-lived Kelly. In On A Clear Day, he played the character of Evans Bolagard. In the 1970s, under the name Hamid Hamilton Camp, he appeared in Paul Sills' Story Theater and Ovid's Metamorphoses; the latter also starred Melinda Dillon, Mary Frann, Valerie Harper, and Paul Sand.

In recent years, Camp performed in and directed shows in Los Angeles, including productions of Twelfth Night and A Midsummer Night's Dream. He is survived by six children and 13 grandchildren.

I remember him earliest from the Richard Benjamin / Paula Prentiss show, "He and She". He was billed as Hamid Hamilton Camp at that time. I watched the trailer on his website for the forthcoming movie, "Hard Four" and did a double take when I thought I saw Richard Benjamin looking remarkably, astonishingly young - turns out it was ROSS Benjamin, his son and clone, apparently, LOL.

Mr. Camp was an impassioned folk singer, wonderful character actor, and all around good man.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

Hamilton Camp, 70, folk musician, actor

Two more articles from the news services (St Paul Pioneer Press and Chicago Sun Times):

LOS ANGELES — Hamilton Camp, half of the folk-music duo Gibson and Camp whose 1961 album, "Live at the Gate of Horn," became one of the era's must-have records and who later found steady work as a character actor, has died. He was 70.

Camp, who helped found the Committee satirical comedy troupe in San Francisco in the mid-1960s, died Sunday after a fall outside his Hancock Park home.

When Albert Grossman, a Chicago manager, was trying to put together a folk trio, he introduced Bob Gibson to the singer-songwriter then known as Bob Camp. The pair decided they weren't interested in adding a female vocalist, so Grossman formed Peter, Paul & Mary instead.

The pair worked folk clubs in New York and Chicago and became known for Gibson's 12-string guitar stylings and adventurous harmonies that influenced the folk music scene.

After more than a year together, and practically penniless, they broke up when Camp discovered improv and became one of the early members of Chicago's Second City. He later joined the Committee, which also produced Joan Rivers and Howard Hesseman.

Camp recorded several solo albums and wrote the song "Pride of Man," which Gordon Lightfoot recorded and the 1960s psychedelic band Quicksilver Messenger Service became known for performing. In all, Camp wrote 70 songs.

Eventually, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue acting and adopted the name Hamilton Camp.

An entire generation knew him as the voice of Smurfs on the long-running animated Saturday morning TV series rather than as a folk singer who embraced spontaneity. He appeared in more than 100 films and made-for-TV movies, and dozens of TV shows.

The 5-foot-2 actor had memorable guest roles on three CBS shows. He was the manic salesman Del on "WKRP in Cincinnati," the insane Boots Miller on "MASH" and Mary's height-impaired date on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

His last television role was as a carpenter on ABC's "Desperate Housewives."

Folk singer, actor, Second City alum
October 5, 2005

BY LESLIE BALDACCI Staff Reporter Advertisement

Folk singer Hamilton Camp's partnership with Bob Gibson produced the landmark 1961 album "Gibson & Camp Live at the Gate of Horn," which ignited the folk music movement and influenced musicians for generations to come.

The Byrds, Simon and Garfunkle and Gordon Lightfoot covered their songs.

Mr. Camp, also an actor and Second City alum, died Sunday at his home in Hollywood. He apparently suffered a heart attack, then a fall, said his son, Hamilton Camp Jr. He was 70.

Mr. Camp, who changed his name from Bob Camp in the mid-'60s, started acting in films at age 12 and continued to work in television, films and theater all his life. He continued to make music as well, performing and recording new music. Mr. Camp's latest project was a new disc, "Sweet Joy," named after his late wife and recorded with James Lee Stanley. It is scheduled to be released in November.

In the early 1960s, Mr. Camp and Gibson played in clubs and coffeehouses all over the country. Their "Live at the Gate of Horn" was recorded at a Chicago club. Mr. Camp's later solo career included "Paths of Victory" in 1964, which featured his original "Pride of Man," and "Here's to You" in 1967. His 1999 album, "Mardi's Bard," was dedicated to the late Mardi Arquette, the mother of Rosanna, Patricia, David, Alexis and Richmond, and the wife of Lewis Arquette, whom Mr. Camp went to high school with.

After a stint with Second City in Chicago and the Committee in San Francisco, Mr. Camp played recurring roles in TV series, including "He & She" (1967), "Too Close for Comfort" (1980), "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" (1993). He appeared in the films "American Hot Wax" (1978), "Heaven Can Wait" (1978), "Eating Raoul" (1982) and "Dick Tracy" (1990). His voice was heard in the animated films "The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin," "Pebble and the Penguin" and "All Dogs Go To Heaven." In 2004, he appeared in two Shakespeare plays in Los Angeles.

"He was quite a good actor and made a living all his life as an actor," said longtime friend Paul Sills of the Wisconsin Theater Games Center in Door County, where Mr. Camp was a coach last summer. "I hired him for Second City when I was a director there. I worked with him in plays. We made a television show in Canada that ran for 26 weeks."

Sills described Mr. Camp as "very witty, very clever, very short -- about 5 feet."

Mr. Camp joined the Subud spiritual community in the 1970s. He traveled to Indonesia many times, most recently to raise funds for the 2004 tsunami victims. Subud followers believe in direct contact with the power and grace of God.

"It was a big part of his life. When he was doing Theater Games in Wisconsin, his students came to a spiritual level somehow, through his inner peace and confidence," said Hamilton Camp Jr. "He always had an inner peace; he had the wisest thing to say. He devoted himself to teaching and mentoring young people."

Mr. Camp's wife, Rashada, was the mother of his former singing partner's son, Stephen. Bob Gibson was married to another woman at the time the child was born.

"As fate would have it, my mom and Hamilton fell in love. He could have easily walked away from a single mother and child in 1960, but he chose my mother and he chose me. I feel very blessed," said Stephen Gibson, whom Mr. Camp raised as his son since he was 2.

"He was always giving of himself," said Gibson. "When we were teenagers, most kids our age would collect puppies or kittens. We'd collect other teenagers. There are maybe 100 people right now ranging in age from their mid-30s to late-40s who consider my mom and dad their parents, as well. The house was always, always open. It was always a safe place."

Gibson said Mr. Camp loved to throw backyard barbecues, which were a "Who's Who" of actors and the folk music world.

"Pick anybody from comedy or music, ranging from the '50s all the way through, they'd be sitting in the backyard. I remember a couple of guys in the living room singing and picking at our house in Malibu. A couple of years later, I'm buying their records as The Eagles."

Mr. Camp's wife died in 2002.

In addition to Hamilton Jr. and Stephen Gibson, Mr. Camp is survived by the couple's four other children: Lewis, Raymard, Henrietta and Laksmi; and 13 grandchildren.

A memorial service is planned at home on Sunday, Stephen Gibson said, with a scattering of Mr. Camp's ashes at a later date. The children ask anyone with performance photos or videos to contact them through Hamilton@hamilton.com.