banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

for anybody who is interested
Somebody in Mississuaga Ontario (no not Maheen unless he has undergone a gender change) is offering a copy of the Movin' EP on ebay at:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...711520572&rd=1

John Fowles

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
johnfowles

for anybody who is interested
Somebody in Mississuaga Ontario (no not Maheen unless he has undergone a gender change) is offering a copy of the Movin' EP on ebay at:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...711520572&rd=1

John Fowles

------------------
starts at
Old 03-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Ducaire

Is it a video of some sort? What is an EP?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Ducaire

Old 03-20-2005, 12:42 AM   #5
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Ducaire:
Good question ducaire, I assume you are one of the younger fans on here
Back in pre-history there were ancient crude and very fragile devices called shellac disks made usually 12 inches in diameter in those pre-metric days with a long analog groove from the outer rim to the middle. tracked by an arm carying a preferably small sharp and not too abrasive thing called a needle.
These were recorded and played back at a lowly 78 rpm (Revolutions Per Minute).
Following World War Two the advent of modern plastics enabled thess old things to be replaced by smaller much more durable disks made from vinyl(PVC-Poly Vinyl Chloride if my memory serves me right). the grooves were finer and more accurate so the same recording length (one single "track" say 2 to 4 minutes) could be contained in smaller disks of 7 inches diameter if played at the slower speed of 45 rpm.Now these records were known as "singles" containing the main song on one "A" side which if you flipped it over to the "B" side a.k.a. the "flipside" had a second track. Theses were played on a gizmo called a turntable which featured a circular "platter" turning at a speed of 45rpm.Hence they are known as 7" singles or forty-fives right fortyfivesFrank??
Then in the 50's was introduced the Long-Playing record popularly known as an LP,
These returned to a diameter of 12 inches and the groove was very much finer hence it was called a microgroove and required even smaller needles but by turning at 33 1/3rpm
(a third of 100) could hold in excess of 30 minutes per side or an hour in total but most LPs held only just over 30 minutes (typically some 12 tracks)
At some point a bright spark realised that using microgrooves on the standard 7" disk 45rpm format would allow several tracks per side this extended play variety passed into history as the EP.
Later still in the 70s with the discotheque dancing fad disk-jockeys required longer singles hence the 12 inch single was devised
still turning a 45rpm
As a pertinent comment on all this it is worth noting that the duration of an LP was largely dictated by the length of popular classic symphony recordings, as originally a single symphony required several 12 inch 78s
I read only yesterday that the inventors of Compact Digital Disks insisted on one CD being large enough to contain the complete Beethoven's Ninth (Choral) symphony which just so happens to be 74 minutes
And yes "Movin'" whilst not exactly a video was a short film produced in the sixties as an sdvert for Canadian National Railways freight service and features an athletic Gord as narrator in the film he sings three songs two obviously specially written for this documentary/advert "Movin'" and "Talking freight" and also the appropriate Steel Rail Blues" from his first United Artists album
John Fowles

------------------
starts at
Old 03-20-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Ducaire:
Good question ducaire, I assume you are one of the younger fans on here
Back in pre-history there were ancient crude and very fragile devices called shellac disks made usually 12 inches in diameter in those pre-metric days with a long analog groove from the outer rim to the middle. tracked by an arm carying a preferably small sharp and not too abrasive thing called a needle.
These were recorded and played back at a lowly 78 rpm (Revolutions Per Minute).
Following World War Two the advent of modern plastics enabled thess old things to be replaced by smaller much more durable disks made from vinyl(PVC-Poly Vinyl Chloride if my memory serves me right). the grooves were finer and more accurate so the same recording length (one single "track" say 2 to 4 minutes) could be contained in smaller disks of 7 inches diameter if played at the slower speed of 45 rpm.Now these records were known as "singles" containing the main song on one "A" side which if you flipped it over to the "B" side a.k.a. the "flipside" had a second track. Theses were played on a gizmo called a turntable which featured a circular "platter" turning at a speed of 45rpm.Hence they are known as 7" singles or forty-fives right fortyfivesFrank??
Then in the 50's was introduced the Long-Playing record popularly known as an LP,
These returned to a diameter of 12 inches and the groove was very much finer hence it was called a microgroove and required even smaller needles but by turning at 33 1/3rpm
(a third of 100) could hold in excess of 30 minutes per side or an hour in total but most LPs held only just over 30 minutes (typically some 12 tracks)
At some point a bright spark realised that using microgrooves on the standard 7" disk 45rpm format would allow several tracks per side this extended play variety passed into history as the EP.
Later still in the 70s with the discotheque dancing fad disk-jockeys required longer singles hence the 12 inch single was devised
still turning a 45rpm
As a pertinent comment on all this it is worth noting that the duration of an LP was largely dictated by the length of popular classic symphony recordings, as originally a single symphony required several 12 inch 78s
I read only yesterday that the inventors of Compact Digital Disks insisted on one CD being large enough to contain the complete Beethoven's Ninth (Choral) symphony which just so happens to be 74 minutes
And yes "Movin'" whilst not exactly a video was a short film produced in the sixties as an sdvert for Canadian National Railways freight service and features an athletic Gord as narrator in the film he sings three songs two obviously specially written for this documentary/advert "Movin'" and "Talking freight" and also the appropriate Steel Rail Blues" from his first United Artists album
John Fowles

------------------
starts at
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Tefredds

Amazing stuff, John !

Thank you for this - and PVC means polyvinyl chloride - you are right.

Greetings,

Klaus
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
RCI

Amazing stuff, John !

Thank you for this - and PVC means polyvinyl chloride - you are right.

Greetings,

Klaus
RCI is offline   Reply With Quote