banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-21-2000, 10:13 PM   #1
Carlos Mendes-Rosa

...well IF there WAS a new Gord song, what would make a good topic??

At a concert several years ago, I believe the song was Waiting For You, Gord commented that it made him think it would make a good song for a movie about Lewis & Clark. But, he said, no one will probably ever make a movie about them. Then, sometime later, the Ken Burns documentary on the Lewis & Clark expedition was released.

Have thought about this since that concert and wish that Gord would write a song about L&C. He would spend time studying every detail and no doubt would write a fine epic ballad. Another topic might be the mighty Mississippi River and the history that rolls with it.

I hope our Canadian members are not offended by my suggesting Gord write an epic about the U.S. (see Canadian Complaints About Americans posted under Small Talk) We are a bit jealous of CRT and we haven't kidnapped him yet.

Has anyone thought of other song topics that you'd love to have him write about?

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 21, 2000).]
Carlos Mendes-Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2000, 10:13 PM   #2
supaiblue

...well IF there WAS a new Gord song, what would make a good topic??

At a concert several years ago, I believe the song was Waiting For You, Gord commented that it made him think it would make a good song for a movie about Lewis & Clark. But, he said, no one will probably ever make a movie about them. Then, sometime later, the Ken Burns documentary on the Lewis & Clark expedition was released.

Have thought about this since that concert and wish that Gord would write a song about L&C. He would spend time studying every detail and no doubt would write a fine epic ballad. Another topic might be the mighty Mississippi River and the history that rolls with it.

I hope our Canadian members are not offended by my suggesting Gord write an epic about the U.S. (see Canadian Complaints About Americans posted under Small Talk) We are a bit jealous of CRT and we haven't kidnapped him yet.

Has anyone thought of other song topics that you'd love to have him write about?

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 21, 2000).]
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2000, 11:20 PM   #3
Sheila Ann

Christmas; Acadians; the shrinking world; the seasons of life
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 05:35 AM   #4
LouiseAnne

LOL,
No, we won't snatch him. Because Canada is a big part of what Gord is! If he had been born here, he may never have become what he has become. Canada has values and a certain gentleness that unfortunately this country will never have. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not putting down the good ole US of A, but it just doesn't seem to me like a place to cultivate the beauty that Gord has brought us. I was talking to him once and we were talking about things like the problem with Quebec a few years ago and I mentioned something derogatory about the U.S. (nothing really bad, just that there were a few problems we had to deal with) and he just interrupted and said, "C'mon now, let's not run down our States here." He thinks of the USA as HIS states. That is one heck of a compliment as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a child of the 60s and lived through the VietNam war. I was in high school when it was going down. I wore the MIA bracelet, etc. I protested. I did it all. The big thing I would love to hear him sing a song about is the VietNam war. Any thoughts on that? LOL!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 05:35 AM   #5
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

LOL,
No, we won't snatch him. Because Canada is a big part of what Gord is! If he had been born here, he may never have become what he has become. Canada has values and a certain gentleness that unfortunately this country will never have. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not putting down the good ole US of A, but it just doesn't seem to me like a place to cultivate the beauty that Gord has brought us. I was talking to him once and we were talking about things like the problem with Quebec a few years ago and I mentioned something derogatory about the U.S. (nothing really bad, just that there were a few problems we had to deal with) and he just interrupted and said, "C'mon now, let's not run down our States here." He thinks of the USA as HIS states. That is one heck of a compliment as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a child of the 60s and lived through the VietNam war. I was in high school when it was going down. I wore the MIA bracelet, etc. I protested. I did it all. The big thing I would love to hear him sing a song about is the VietNam war. Any thoughts on that? LOL!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 11:29 AM   #6
SilverHeels

Good topic, Supaiblue (I need to abbreviate
that!lol).
I would love Gord to write an epic ballad following the history of Canada's First
People and the wilderness of the north.
Yeh, I know he's done similiar but not
exactly that.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 05:14 PM   #7
charlene

Since he already wrote BEAUTIFUL pour moi that subject has been done - right BETTY!?!?!

I think a new song for his mum would be nice.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 05:14 PM   #8
charlene

Since he already wrote BEAUTIFUL pour moi that subject has been done - right BETTY!?!?!

I think a new song for his mum would be nice.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 07:39 PM   #9
Carlos Mendes-Rosa

Well Silverheels, looks like I'm a bit poorer today. Had a side bet going that your answer would be "Me."

Another thought; a song about the free-roaming buffalo which are not free to roam anymore. Do they still roam in Canada?? That would also relate to the "shrinking world" theme as well as the Lewis & Clark expedition so maybe we're coming up with a song here.

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old 11-22-2000, 07:39 PM   #10
supaiblue

Well Silverheels, looks like I'm a bit poorer today. Had a side bet going that your answer would be "Me."

Another thought; a song about the free-roaming buffalo which are not free to roam anymore. Do they still roam in Canada?? That would also relate to the "shrinking world" theme as well as the Lewis & Clark expedition so maybe we're coming up with a song here.

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old 11-22-2000, 08:37 PM   #11
catmanron

Another brilliant song about affairs of the heart...no one can look at both sides of the human drama better...his ability to take what must be his own most personal emotions and make them seem so universal..."Shadows"...a true masterpiece...or a song about the sorry state of "popular" music these days...that could be savage!!!
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2000, 08:37 PM   #12
wordmanray

Another brilliant song about affairs of the heart...no one can look at both sides of the human drama better...his ability to take what must be his own most personal emotions and make them seem so universal..."Shadows"...a true masterpiece...or a song about the sorry state of "popular" music these days...that could be savage!!!
wordmanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2000, 01:39 AM   #13
LouiseAnne

Char,
How many times do I have to tell you, girl. Gord did NOT write that song for you. He wrote it for JUDY!!!! LOL! Anyone who saw Judy's reaction to it in San Diego would never for a moment doubt it! LOL

Stay loose, eh?

Leslie

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 11-23-2000, 01:39 AM   #14
loveandmaplesyrup

Char,
How many times do I have to tell you, girl. Gord did NOT write that song for you. He wrote it for JUDY!!!! LOL! Anyone who saw Judy's reaction to it in San Diego would never for a moment doubt it! LOL

Stay loose, eh?

Leslie

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 11-23-2000, 02:57 AM   #15
LouiseAnne

Supiablue,
Yeah, the buffalo. And the cougars and the wolves. The wolves roam free in Canada. They send them down here so we can reintroduce them because (Thank you Teddy Roosevelt) they are on the endangered list now. Canada traps them and sends them to us, but it's a one-way trip. They tell us if it doesn't work out we can't send them back, so apparently Canada doesn't have the wolf shortage we have. I mentioned that to Gord once. I thanked him for the wolves. He looked at me kind of funny and then I explained. I said "You sent us wolves." And he still looked at me funny and then I said, "Well, not YOU personally, but your government did." And then he broke out in this big grin, that darling crooked smile he has and he said, "Yeah, I heard about that on CNN" He told me another time about how he had gone into a wolf den. I told him I was surprised that they would let him in and his response was, "Well, they weren't HAPPY about it." It was on one of his canoe trips. The reason the whole subject came up was because I have a pet wolf and we were talking about it.

Anyway, the point of this mindless babbling,Supraiblue, is I think your idea about the buffalo and endangered species like wolves, cougars, buffalo and even grizzly bears would be a great topic for a song.

Ahem. Thanks for listening.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 11-23-2000, 02:57 AM   #16
loveandmaplesyrup

Supiablue,
Yeah, the buffalo. And the cougars and the wolves. The wolves roam free in Canada. They send them down here so we can reintroduce them because (Thank you Teddy Roosevelt) they are on the endangered list now. Canada traps them and sends them to us, but it's a one-way trip. They tell us if it doesn't work out we can't send them back, so apparently Canada doesn't have the wolf shortage we have. I mentioned that to Gord once. I thanked him for the wolves. He looked at me kind of funny and then I explained. I said "You sent us wolves." And he still looked at me funny and then I said, "Well, not YOU personally, but your government did." And then he broke out in this big grin, that darling crooked smile he has and he said, "Yeah, I heard about that on CNN" He told me another time about how he had gone into a wolf den. I told him I was surprised that they would let him in and his response was, "Well, they weren't HAPPY about it." It was on one of his canoe trips. The reason the whole subject came up was because I have a pet wolf and we were talking about it.

Anyway, the point of this mindless babbling,Supraiblue, is I think your idea about the buffalo and endangered species like wolves, cougars, buffalo and even grizzly bears would be a great topic for a song.

Ahem. Thanks for listening.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 11-23-2000, 07:24 AM   #17
SilverHeels

Supaiblue - may I call you'Supa'?
I had thought about'Me' for a song then I
decided the First People of Canada would
be more worthy ... I can wait lol
Old 11-23-2000, 03:27 PM   #18
Carlos Mendes-Rosa

SilverHeels: In return for the info on Boxing Day, let me tell you what Supai (pronounced soo - pie) Blue is. It's a beautiful color from the people of the blue-green water. Here are some photos:
<A HREF="http://www.phoenixpages.com/cilwa/Personal/Expeditions/Arizona/GrandCanyon/Havasu/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.phoenixpages.com/cilwa/Personal/
Expeditions/Arizona/GrandCanyon/Havasu/</A>

And so I don't stray too far off topic, a Gord song about the Grand Canyon would be awesome!

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited November 23, 2000).]
Old 11-23-2000, 03:27 PM   #19
supaiblue

SilverHeels: In return for the info on Boxing Day, let me tell you what Supai (pronounced soo - pie) Blue is. It's a beautiful color from the people of the blue-green water. Here are some photos:
<A HREF="http://www.phoenixpages.com/cilwa/Personal/Expeditions/Arizona/GrandCanyon/Havasu/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.phoenixpages.com/cilwa/Personal/
Expeditions/Arizona/GrandCanyon/Havasu/</A>

And so I don't stray too far off topic, a Gord song about the Grand Canyon would be awesome!

Old 11-23-2000, 05:03 PM   #20
Janice

quote:Originally posted by supaiblue:
http://www.phoenixpages.com/cilwa/Pe...Canyon/Havasu/

Supaiblue,

Thanks for the link - What gorgeous pictures and a wonderful tale of your adventure!

Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2000, 05:25 AM   #21
SilverHeels

Supaiblue, I am speechless - well almost.
What a perfectly stunning place and what
a story! You are so blessed! Thank you
for sharing it with me. I have always
dreamed of seeing the Grand Canyon - now
I have to see your Paradise also.
I think you're right about the new song:
after he's written about Canada's First
People, Gord must certainly write about
Havasu Canyon.
Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2000, 10:43 AM   #22
Carlos Mendes-Rosa

Janice: So as not to misrepresent myself, alas I did not write the article nor am I the subject. Just wanted to share some photos of what the color supaiblue is.
Old 11-24-2000, 10:43 AM   #23
supaiblue

Janice: So as not to misrepresent myself, alas I did not write the article nor am I the subject. Just wanted to share some photos of what the color supaiblue is.
Old 12-01-2000, 06:54 PM   #24
Kasey

LAMS, Thank you for (AGAIN! How many times will we have to DO this???) setting the record straight.

And next time I talk to Gord, I WILL get up the courage to suggest a song about River Otters (I know, I know, you never would have guessed that......)and it could be called "So Otter Than Nothing, What's New?"

--Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2000, 06:54 PM   #25
theotterjudy

LAMS, Thank you for (AGAIN! How many times will we have to DO this???) setting the record straight.

And next time I talk to Gord, I WILL get up the courage to suggest a song about River Otters (I know, I know, you never would have guessed that......)and it could be called "So Otter Than Nothing, What's New?"

--Judy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote