banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
kenny

I am a Gordon Lightfoot fan going back to 1972.
I went to 3 of his concerts during the middle 1970's. I lost track of Gordon after his Endless Wire album. I recently repurchased some of the albums I owned in vinyl on cd because I got a hankerin to listen to Gord again. I also
wanted to know what was going on currently with him. I read with saddness about his near death illness. I am glad he is still alive and back touring.
2 questions
1. When did Lightfoot's voice change from the strong resonant baritone that I remember to the thin elderly sounding quality that I hear now. Did smoking do in his lungs, did he lose his teeth.
I have been listening to samples of his albums since Endless Wire and I seem to detect a change beginning in "EAST OF MIDNIGHT"
2. Are there any concert videos available from the Sundown to Endless wire era that are available for purchase. The live in Reno concert on dvd is good but I would like a video of the Gordon Lightfoot that I remember, including singing harmonies with the band. Is anything available?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
Rich Man Spiritual

I am a Gordon Lightfoot fan going back to 1972.
I went to 3 of his concerts during the middle 1970's. I lost track of Gordon after his Endless Wire album. I recently repurchased some of the albums I owned in vinyl on cd because I got a hankerin to listen to Gord again. I also
wanted to know what was going on currently with him. I read with saddness about his near death illness. I am glad he is still alive and back touring.
2 questions
1. When did Lightfoot's voice change from the strong resonant baritone that I remember to the thin elderly sounding quality that I hear now. Did smoking do in his lungs, did he lose his teeth.
I have been listening to samples of his albums since Endless Wire and I seem to detect a change beginning in "EAST OF MIDNIGHT"
2. Are there any concert videos available from the Sundown to Endless wire era that are available for purchase. The live in Reno concert on dvd is good but I would like a video of the Gordon Lightfoot that I remember, including singing harmonies with the band. Is anything available?
Rich Man Spiritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
The Rez

Rich Man asks,

OK, Rich Man, I'm gonna do my best to reply. First off anyone who uses the word "hankerin'" is absolutely alright w/ me. I love those words. Grew up that way.

- If you saw Gord 3 times in the 70s, that was his hayday of worldwide popularity. And yes, his voice was very present. But if you'd heard him in the 60s, as I did, you'd hear a difference. Maturing, it's called. I've always thought of Gord as a tenor, not a baritone. Sinatra was a baritone.

Speaking of Sinatra and drawing a parallell to Gord. Have you ever heard the young Sinatra sing w/ Jimmy Dorsey in the 40s? Absolutely pure - and in his 20's. In Sinatra's ring-a-ding hayday the world-weary edge had begun to sneak in.

The Sinatra who sang Send in the Clowns yrs later is not the Sinatra who sang w/Jimmy Dorsey.

So it is w/ Gord, or Pavorotti (sp) for that matter. So it has been w/ me.

If I found a video of Gord from the 70s, I'd want it, too - much want. But if you consider anything after East of Midnight to be "less" than the 70s, you're off base. Different, not less. And that's not the same.

Please don't be so in thrall w/ the past that you miss the present. A friend of mine played piano for Lionel Hampton the last decade of his life. (He died at 92) I asked Beth less than a yr before Hamp died, "How's he play now. Still have the edge." Her reply, "He doesn't hit all the notes he used to . . . but he hits all the right ones."

I have Brother Ray videos from 63 to 2yrs before he died. In every one he hit all the right notes. Stronger in the 60s? Sure. Less in to 21st Century? Now way.

The Lightfoot you seek no longer lives. The Lightfoot I'll see in Cerritos in April will be grand - alive and grand.

See him now. The time will come when you won't have the 21st Century Gord to see live.

Priceless is priceless - 40yrs ago or tonight.

Sorry, Rich Man, this was meant to be a thorough reply and I ended up rambling. But it's not a Lesson in Love either. It's just The Rez hoping the Rich Man doesn't miss out while life and Gord are dangerously present.

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #4
kenny

The Rez replied:
Sorry, Rich Man, this was meant to be a thorough reply and I ended up rambling. But it's not a Lesson in Love either. It's just The Rez hoping the Rich Man doesn't miss out while life and Gord are dangerously present."

The Rez

I understand your points Rez, it was not rambling it was a very thoughtful and considerate response. I thought at first that my first question might have been a little harsh for a first posting but I meant no disrespect to Gord.
What I intend to do and what I am doing to reaquaint myself with Gord is to acquire all of his original 2o original albums and then load them all on my mp3 player and play them where I work through the sound system. Right now I have 12 of the 20 including the first 5. There was a Canadian compilation of the first 5 albums call "Original Lightfoot" that I procured through e-bay so I am starting to get up to speed on his 60's work. I have his 90's stuff and Salute from 82 or 83 plus his latest Harmony.It is fun to listen to the songs that I have never heard and to try to figure out what era I am listening to. But mainly to enjoy the songs. In order to placate the others who don't neccesarily want to listen to all Gord all day I throw in George Strait and Enya. It is interesting to me that in the song "Couchaching" from Harmony I can hear smatterings of the 70's Lightfoot. Mainly though when he goes into his lower register. But to me even though Harmony is not the vintage Lightfoot that I remember it's all Lightfoot soul.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
Rich Man Spiritual

The Rez replied:
Sorry, Rich Man, this was meant to be a thorough reply and I ended up rambling. But it's not a Lesson in Love either. It's just The Rez hoping the Rich Man doesn't miss out while life and Gord are dangerously present."

The Rez

I understand your points Rez, it was not rambling it was a very thoughtful and considerate response. I thought at first that my first question might have been a little harsh for a first posting but I meant no disrespect to Gord.
What I intend to do and what I am doing to reaquaint myself with Gord is to acquire all of his original 2o original albums and then load them all on my mp3 player and play them where I work through the sound system. Right now I have 12 of the 20 including the first 5. There was a Canadian compilation of the first 5 albums call "Original Lightfoot" that I procured through e-bay so I am starting to get up to speed on his 60's work. I have his 90's stuff and Salute from 82 or 83 plus his latest Harmony.It is fun to listen to the songs that I have never heard and to try to figure out what era I am listening to. But mainly to enjoy the songs. In order to placate the others who don't neccesarily want to listen to all Gord all day I throw in George Strait and Enya. It is interesting to me that in the song "Couchaching" from Harmony I can hear smatterings of the 70's Lightfoot. Mainly though when he goes into his lower register. But to me even though Harmony is not the vintage Lightfoot that I remember it's all Lightfoot soul.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
joveski

change in voice:

the change happened in 1982-3. shadows still had his 70s voice and then there was a change when salute came out

videos:

there is the saturday night live footage where he played a efw songs and there is the soundstage video from 1979. it's one hour performance
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
TheWatchman

plus the Live In Reno video, sorry if I missed it in one of the posts above. Shadows was the last of the old Lightfoot voice. Each CD after that it gets thinner and thinner. Still great nonetheless, but not the same.

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited February 25, 2005).]
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

i never heard Gord's voice so clear and full of "richness" live as it was when he sang several tracks from Harmony a few months back

then again, i never saw Gord live (in person) in the 70's

Gord said during his MMM special, "i only learned how to sing around 1990"...i don't know if it was tongue in cheek or not, but as i've listened to his MMM and Reno deliveries of old songs plus his studio tracks from the past 3 albums, i think i agree...his voice is an versatile instrument, well played...and well seasoned

ps) how come Burton Cummings voice hasn't changed a bit since he was 18? i thought i was listening to early Guess Who (bang on!) a few weeks back on that live radio broadcast
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
jj

i never heard Gord's voice so clear and full of "richness" live as it was when he sang several tracks from Harmony a few months back

then again, i never saw Gord live (in person) in the 70's

Gord said during his MMM special, "i only learned how to sing around 1990"...i don't know if it was tongue in cheek or not, but as i've listened to his MMM and Reno deliveries of old songs plus his studio tracks from the past 3 albums, i think i agree...his voice is an versatile instrument, well played...and well seasoned

ps) how come Burton Cummings voice hasn't changed a bit since he was 18? i thought i was listening to early Guess Who (bang on!) a few weeks back on that live radio broadcast
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #10
charlene

having seen Burton several times live back in the days of his successful solo career and hearing him now I hear a difference - it's not too much but i'ts different. His live CBC recording 5-6 years ago was when I noticed it-I saw him live at that time as well. He still can sell a song tho. Bachman's voice is different - not as strong as it was with BTO or The Guess Who. Burton just turned 57 on New Years Eve and Bachman is around the same age. who knows what they'll sound like in 10 years...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
charlene

having seen Burton several times live back in the days of his successful solo career and hearing him now I hear a difference - it's not too much but i'ts different. His live CBC recording 5-6 years ago was when I noticed it-I saw him live at that time as well. He still can sell a song tho. Bachman's voice is different - not as strong as it was with BTO or The Guess Who. Burton just turned 57 on New Years Eve and Bachman is around the same age. who knows what they'll sound like in 10 years...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #12
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

well, i stand corrected again then, lol....i've only seen Burton live at the Family Farm Tribute not so long ago (when Gord appeared for a few numbers, also the day John Morris Rankin was killed)

i thought Randy was bang on for New Mother Nature, i've only heard him sing 'flat' live over the years on TV...either way, let's check on them in another half a dozen years

btw, talked to my mother this morning by phone, she said that her and the 'girls' (who are in their 70/80's) do their aerobics to New Mother Nature ...i still think Gord should do a workout video, Gord-Ercise!

or how about a cooking show, or a fishing show? hey if it happens i want a peice of the action, Barry!
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
jj

well, i stand corrected again then, lol....i've only seen Burton live at the Family Farm Tribute not so long ago (when Gord appeared for a few numbers, also the day John Morris Rankin was killed)

i thought Randy was bang on for New Mother Nature, i've only heard him sing 'flat' live over the years on TV...either way, let's check on them in another half a dozen years

btw, talked to my mother this morning by phone, she said that her and the 'girls' (who are in their 70/80's) do their aerobics to New Mother Nature ...i still think Gord should do a workout video, Gord-Ercise!

or how about a cooking show, or a fishing show? hey if it happens i want a peice of the action, Barry!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #14
Borderstone

Rich Man! If you haven't heard the "Harmony" CD or what I consider it's best song,"End Of All Time",you are missing out!

Listen to said song and CD,and I guarantee you'll be plaased!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
kenny

You folks are the nicest group of discussers that I have ever met. I have enjoyed Gord from the 70's and am enjoying his 60's stuff that I have not heard that much. His music in his later years is much more reflective and sentimental. I wish he had the diaphramic strength of old to deliver that strong resonance for these songs that I used to try to copy when I would play and sing his songs of old on my guitar and piano. His song writing I think is even better than before. Enjoyed "Drink Yer Glasses Empty" immensely.
GBG and long life to him and to all of you!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #16
Rich Man Spiritual

You folks are the nicest group of discussers that I have ever met. I have enjoyed Gord from the 70's and am enjoying his 60's stuff that I have not heard that much. His music in his later years is much more reflective and sentimental. I wish he had the diaphramic strength of old to deliver that strong resonance for these songs that I used to try to copy when I would play and sing his songs of old on my guitar and piano. His song writing I think is even better than before. Enjoyed "Drink Yer Glasses Empty" immensely.
GBG and long life to him and to all of you!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 02:21 AM   #17
The Rez

Ah, Youth - Ah, Age - And Ah, the Years Between and Dreams, as a cat, just out of reach.

I recently heard John Stewart sing Luck Ol Sun. Masterful. He could not have sung it in his youth. He had to wait 65 seasons to be able to achieve the heart of that song. It stands proudly beside Brother Ray's rendition - totally different - but proudly.

My middle boy Josh (33)loves the Harmony album, especially Coucouching, as do my other two boys. It was a pilgrimage each year for us to see Gord. I always wanted to hear the new stuff. Still do. I hope to hear "beyond Harmony"

Thank you Joan, for bringing home this stray dog. Thank you Alan & Todd for taking me in.

Thank you Gord for just the right song at just the right time. As we say in the south, "You been readin' my mail." And, also Gord, for welcoming me and my boys.

Rays Genius Loves Company was done in the last yr of his life. Some of it in the last months of his life.

I know not what Gord's "Genius" swan song album will be, but I know it isn't coming soon.

The seasons of a song and the seasons of the singer change with the seasons of the years. Nothing stays the same,only changes.
And you never see them coming or preparing to go.

A little meloncholy tonite.

The Rez

"And in a moment it was over, and we were left with what we might have been
and what we had become."

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
Old 02-27-2005, 03:40 PM   #18
ELizabeth

Rez,
Where did you hear John Stewart sing "LOS'? I can only imagine how beautiful it must have sounded.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #19
The Rez

Elizabeth,

Fortunately, that night was captured on an audio dblCD called "Even the Band Had Too Much Fun - Live at O-Dark Thirty." (2003)

You can find it at John's site chillywinds.com It's also done well on the studio CD Havanah, from earlier that year.

I love the "live" 'cause it's the closest I can come to reliving it. By the way, that's me you'll hear rudely hollering out the request for Lucky Old Sun.

A wonderment, just a wonderment.

Now, I figure Gord could sing it, too.

The Rez

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
Old 02-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
Hagar

I think that Inspiration Lady is the closest thing to the old Lightfoot on Harmony.

Greetings from Victoria.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #21
Hagar

I think that Inspiration Lady is the closest thing to the old Lightfoot on Harmony.

Greetings from Victoria.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #22
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Hagar:

Why?

To me, the only song that has any familarity is River Of Light (it has 'My Little Love and Boathouse' feel to it )
The rest of them are pretty original.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 PM   #23
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Hagar:

Why?

To me, the only song that has any familarity is River Of Light (it has 'My Little Love and Boathouse' feel to it )
The rest of them are pretty original.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #24
josch

Interesting topic. I idolized Lightfoot in my youth. Personally, I think what made him so unique was that not only was he an incredible songwriter but he also was one of the all time great singers, a rare combination.
I kept up with his music through Shadows but once I got married and had kids I sorta found I did not have as much time to keep up with him, John Stewart, John Prine and all the rest of the great songwriters.
The first time I noticed the change in GL's voice was when I got a cassette of Gord'Gold II. I think the reason it stands out so much is because he redid all those classics like "Alberta Bound", "Pony Man","Christian Island" and it just invited comparisons to his originals.

While it's true that voices are altered over the years the change that occured to Lightfoot's was pretty extreme, much more so than Ray Charles or Sinatra or any I can think of.
Please don't thing I'm being critical, It's just that the guys voice was so awesome it's hard to hear it be otherwise. The first time I heard "A Painter Passing Through" I felt kinda sad. I'm sorry, but to be truthful it's just not a very pleasing voice to listen to. Still I listen.
josch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #25
Joe M

Interesting topic. I idolized Lightfoot in my youth. Personally, I think what made him so unique was that not only was he an incredible songwriter but he also was one of the all time great singers, a rare combination.
I kept up with his music through Shadows but once I got married and had kids I sorta found I did not have as much time to keep up with him, John Stewart, John Prine and all the rest of the great songwriters.
The first time I noticed the change in GL's voice was when I got a cassette of Gord'Gold II. I think the reason it stands out so much is because he redid all those classics like "Alberta Bound", "Pony Man","Christian Island" and it just invited comparisons to his originals.

While it's true that voices are altered over the years the change that occured to Lightfoot's was pretty extreme, much more so than Ray Charles or Sinatra or any I can think of.
Please don't thing I'm being critical, It's just that the guys voice was so awesome it's hard to hear it be otherwise. The first time I heard "A Painter Passing Through" I felt kinda sad. I'm sorry, but to be truthful it's just not a very pleasing voice to listen to. Still I listen.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote