banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2000, 11:30 AM   #1
Jez

This is really cool ! I found this some time ago, and thought I'd share it with those who may not have heard it. Go to www.oakland.edu/boatnerd/efitz/ You can hear an actual sound clip from Captain Bernie Cooper of the Arthur M. Anderson (closest ship trailing the Fitz the night she sank), to the local Coast Guard station, reporting the possible loss of the Fitzgerald. It's alittle over a minute and a half long, and it's really erie but amazing. You may have to download a "Realtime" player....but it's free, and well worth the time.......Good Luck !

------------------
The house you live in will never fall down, if you pity the stranger that stands at your door.....GL
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2000, 11:30 AM   #2
Bob from Westphalia, Mich

This is really cool ! I found this some time ago, and thought I'd share it with those who may not have heard it. Go to www.oakland.edu/boatnerd/efitz/ You can hear an actual sound clip from Captain Bernie Cooper of the Arthur M. Anderson (closest ship trailing the Fitz the night she sank), to the local Coast Guard station, reporting the possible loss of the Fitzgerald. It's alittle over a minute and a half long, and it's really erie but amazing. You may have to download a "Realtime" player....but it's free, and well worth the time.......Good Luck !

------------------
The house you live in will never fall down, if you pity the stranger that stands at your door.....GL
Bob from Westphalia, Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2000, 05:22 PM   #3
DJL

Hi Bob,
Thanks for letting us know about the sound clip. I have listened to it a few times now and as you say "it's really eary". I must admit, reading about the ship to shore conversations left me feeling cold, but actually hearing it is something else.
Good one Bob.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2000, 05:22 PM   #4
A Painter

Hi Bob,
Thanks for letting us know about the sound clip. I have listened to it a few times now and as you say "it's really eary". I must admit, reading about the ship to shore conversations left me feeling cold, but actually hearing it is something else.
Good one Bob.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 06:22 PM   #5
CanadaGirl38

Thanks, Bob. I'd been in that page ages ago - before that clip was put on. Captain Cooper is an amazing man in that not on;y was he tracking the Fitzgeral through all of that but when asked actually went back out to look! That boggles the mind. The William Clay Ford wouldn't do it but there was the Arthur Anderson hoping for a miracle. It's such a compelling story. Any other links or books on your favorite list are welcome. I know some folks aren't fond of a book called "The Gales of November," but I think it is a great piece of work, putting faces on these 29 men and their famiies.

Thanks again.

Steve
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2000, 06:22 PM   #6
fezo

Thanks, Bob. I'd been in that page ages ago - before that clip was put on. Captain Cooper is an amazing man in that not on;y was he tracking the Fitzgeral through all of that but when asked actually went back out to look! That boggles the mind. The William Clay Ford wouldn't do it but there was the Arthur Anderson hoping for a miracle. It's such a compelling story. Any other links or books on your favorite list are welcome. I know some folks aren't fond of a book called "The Gales of November," but I think it is a great piece of work, putting faces on these 29 men and their famiies.

Thanks again.

Steve
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2000, 01:56 PM   #7
Wes Steele

Did any of you guys ever hear about this story?

After the "Fitz" was missing, the coast guard was calling out to the different ships to go out and look for any survivors. I have a copy of that tape.

To the ocean going vessals, the Great Lakes are just a bunch of ponds. No big thing. They are a joke to the ocean going captains. Well, guess what......There was an ocean going vessal on the Lakes that night that refused to go out and look for the "Fitz". It gave an excuse why it shouldn't go out.
I guess the sea's were a little too rough that night.

Give credit to the "Aurthur Anderson" ship, becasue he turned around and went looking for survivors.

Wes...........
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2000, 11:25 PM   #8
Lightfoot678

Also. Down here in Florida people complain about hurricanes a lot. Well the Great Lakes can produce storms as devestating as Florida hurricanes or Pacific typhoons.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 02:43 AM   #9
dill23

Bob,

Have been to the site you suggested. It's a chilling account of what happened. Clearly show the bravery (and less) of the ships and the people involved in that fateful day. It is, in my humble opinion, only by God's Grace that only the "Fitz" and her crew were lost.

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited April 26, 2000).]
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 02:43 AM   #10
Rob Wells

Bob,

Have been to the site you suggested. It's a chilling account of what happened. Clearly show the bravery (and less) of the ships and the people involved in that fateful day. It is, in my humble opinion, only by God's Grace that only the "Fitz" and her crew were lost.

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited April 26, 2000).]
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 09:51 AM   #11
BuddyP

Many thanks for the site information, it kind of makes you go numb just listening to it. I can still remember the day the mighty Fitz' went down. An old friend of mine had a cousin who was on that ship. Brings back some strange memories. Al from Brighton, Michigan
"I don't remember where she said she would be...back in the city or on the high seas.....
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 10:07 AM   #12
Florian

Hi Bob,

The soundclips you mention were taken off a computer-CD which is called:

'The Edmund Fitzgerald Interactive Explorer'

You can find more information about this computer-CD at:

The EF Interactive Explorer

This weekend I've finished a page dedicated to the Edmund Fitzgerald. Basically, it's just a collection of links, but if you take your time you'll find some really interesting websites. If anyone happens to know an Edmund Fitzgerald website I've missed, please kindly let me know.

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 12:03 AM   #13
dill23

I found another site that may be of some interest as well. It gives a complete radio log transscrip between the Anderson, White Fish Point, and the Fitz with some others thrown in. It's kinda the "Readers Digest" version of the book. It will take some time to get thru it all, but it is some riviting reading.
www.acs.oakland.edu/~awesley/edm-fitz.html

Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited April 27, 2000).]
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 12:03 AM   #14
Rob Wells

I found another site that may be of some interest as well. It gives a complete radio log transscrip between the Anderson, White Fish Point, and the Fitz with some others thrown in. It's kinda the "Readers Digest" version of the book. It will take some time to get thru it all, but it is some riviting reading.
www.acs.oakland.edu/~awesley/edm-fitz.html

Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob Wells (edited April 27, 2000).]
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote