banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #1
charlene

Default CANARY YELLOW CANOE donated!

https://kawarthanow.com/2017/12/07/g...-canoe-museum/

VIDEO AT LINK above.

Iconic musician Gordon Lightfoot visits The Canadian Canoe Museum to donate three canoes
One of the donated canoes was the subject of his song 'Canary Yellow Canoe'

Iconic Canadian musician Gordon Lightfoot was at The Canadian Canoe Museum today (December 7) to donate three of his canoes to become part of the museum’s collection, along with one from his friend and paddling companion Fred Gaskin.

One of the canoes Lightfoot has donated is a yellow canoe that was the subject of his 1981 song “Canary Yellow Canoe” (a previously unreleased track that was included on the 1999 career retrospective album Songbook).

“Needless to say, it’s been an incredible day,” said Jeremy Ward, the museum’s curator. “We are honoured to be adding to our collection three of Gordon’s canoes and one from Fred.”

The yellow canoe showcases the scars of an infamous mishap when Lightfoot and Gaskin paddled the Nahanni River in the 1970s.

An avid canoeist, Lightfoot often took canoe trips in Canada’s Far North.

“I passed through Yellowknife on three or four different occasions when I would be leaving to go on canoe trip,” Lightfoot says in an interview with WestJet Magazine.

“Yellowknife would be the last civilization that you would see for about four or five weeks. I remember being up there during the equinox around the end of June and getting started around the start of July when it was never dark. The tent would be bathed in sunlight as it spun around the horizon.

“I wrote my song ‘Shadows’ while I was paddling. I can actually remember the moment I finished it — right where I was on the river. It was a very quiet, long stretch of river with very little current. We were paddling about 10 in the morning and there were trout leaping all around us.”

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
paskatefan

Default Re: CANARY YELLOW CANOE donated!

Very cool!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
charlene

Old 12-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
charlene

Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Don Quixote

Very cool, indeed. One correction, though. He wasn't there at the end of June for the "equinox", but the summer solstice. The equinoxes (vernal and autumnal) happen in March and September, when the day and night are equal in length (equi/equal + nox/night). The summer solstice (marking the beginning of summer) is about June 21st, and the winter solstice (marking the beginning of winter) around December 21st.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
charlene

The iconic singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot poses for a photo between paddling companion Fred Gaskin, left, and Ingo Schoppel next to his yellow canoe featured in his song Canary Yellow Canoe on Thursday December 7, 2017 at the Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough, Ont. Lightfoot, an avid paddler, donated three canoes to the museum. CLIFFORD SKARSTEDT/PETERBOROUGH EXAMINER/

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...for-new-museum
Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
charlene

Old 08-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
charlene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...10&app=desktop