banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
willie

Great show last night at Wolf Trap-Gordon's voice was much stronger than last year, so I guess that the ongoing recovery is going well.It's always amazing that Gordon does what he does so well-at his age and after what he's been through-without any back up singers.

I can't think of any artists that perform with a band and without any singing support.

He also did a lot more joking and small talk between songs-unfortunately, I could not hear most of it, but he seemed to be having a great time.

Also,can someone point me in the direction of the best analysis of his songs, especially If You Could read My Mind.Any source would be appreciated-internet,books,linear notes etc.

One last thing--it was around 100 degrees last night and Gordon came out in a vest and a long sleeve shirt-although he did change after intermission.
willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

Change into a T shirt I bet. Glad to hear your up-date, Willie. Thanks for sharing...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Last night's show at Wolf Trap was absolutely fantastic. Gordon looked and sounded strong from the first note to the last. He was positively cracking himself up - I was concerned after reading about him being quiet recently. But let me tell you he was VERBOSE (go ahead look it up,LOL).

This show is being reported in a few threads so I picked this one at random.

I have never been so hot - it was nuts and probably why I took so few pictures. I knew I could never get nicer shots than Morning Glory has posted and being in the third row I didn't even bother trying BUT I have a couple shots of the corfid folks brave enough to get in front of the camera. Forgive the sweat on the pictures but it was about 100 degrees while we were eating.

Mrs. BILLW, ELizabeth, JBT1976 & formerlylavender
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
BILLW

That's me in the back, pretty cute for 39 eh ?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
BILLW

Wolf Trap filling up nicely...
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
BILLW

one more and I'm done...formerlylavender should have the setlist up asap - as usual I was mesmerized. I tried a "we love you Gord" for the first time. A little strange but oddly I was comfortable shouting to a 67 year old man in public...

Bill
Old 08-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
TC

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I just bought my tickets for the San Diego concert. You all posting your experiences is really pumping me up for this concert. This year I will be taking my oldest daughter.

Shout out to PlumbGuru...hope to see you there!

TC in NorCal
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
Sheila Ann

Did anybody notice that when they opened all the stage curtains at the end of the show...Rick, with guitar in hand, strolled...not quickly...from one side of the stage to the other then off somewhere?? I looked for BillW to try to get him to make a dash :D for the stage and maybe get a chance to meet and greet. We were 8 rows directly behind you guys and straight in front of Gordon. I had unfortunately lost sight of your group. What an opportunity as Wolf Trap doesn't apparently allow 'meet and greet' sessions with the performers. Being the chicken that I am...I didn't seize on the moment myself. Besides by the end of the show I felt like a very red-faced drowned rat and probably would have scared the life out of him

Someone mentioned that Gord came out in the first set in long sleeved shirt and vest and went to a much cooler short sleeved ensemble for the second set. The guys, on the other hand, wore their long sleeved dark colored shirts the whole show! I hope he pays them well

The show was very good and, yes, he was having a great time up there. I think you had to be pretty close to the front to catch all the stuff, tho. I had friends sitting in the balcony and they said you could tell he was having a good time but couldn't hear what he was actually saying. Maybe BillW or Lizbet can fill in about the lead up to 'Waiting For You'. I heard it and got a real kick out of it but can't remember well enough to tell the tale! It was a telling tidbit, however.

Ah, well...can't wait til next year! And more...I found out my son really is a fan and not just trying to get a night out with his mom! He knew every single song and was hoping for 'Patriot's Dream'! Seemed to have raised, at least, one right.
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
RM

BillW,

Nice pics. Sorry to hear the weather was as bad as what's being reported. Scanning the "grassy knoll" picture, it looks like there was a nice diversity of age groups. Is that an accurate observation ?

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
Sundown17

Great pics Bill. Thanks. Reminds me of what the concerts at Tanglewood in Lenox, Mass used to be like back in the 70's. I miss those.

Good to hear he was in good voice and spirits. I see him tomorrow night in Concord NH and can't wait.
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
Iron

Nice Bill,
Wish we could have made it this year,Wolf trapp is a nice venue.In spite of some of the 7-Springs negative "opinions",We thought Gordon and the band were great!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
BILLW

Yes there was diversity in age, sex, orientation of said sex, race, and sobriety. A very large nice crowd.

He was saying "my second wife always kept me waiting so I wrote this song" (buckets of laughter here, he was cracking up - this was his second marriage story of the night) and then he said soemthing like "but then they both kind of fizzled out" more laughter. I had a happy drunk singer man behind me who knew all the songs until the 80s and he was talking over this monologue so I missed some words, LOL. When Gord then sang Waiting For You he added the most comical facial expressions and double entendre type looks and leers throughout the song that I hope some Pirate has it on tape. It was priceless.

Bill
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
RM

BILLW,

Thanks for the response regarding the diversity of the audience.

His "Waiting For You" intro is hilarious. The song itself is not one of my favorites, but I found myself revisiting the "Songbook" notes he scribed. Boy, talk about divergence ! They're quite poignant in this day and age.

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #14
charlene

atta boy BIll! great pics! and you looked real nice all 'tarted up' for your night with Gord!
lol
it's been hot here in Toronto so Gord hasn't missed anything. We had a good rain overnight and it was lovely today.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 AM   #15
Jesse Joe

Great pics BillW, and nice comments. Boy an outdoor show, in that heat...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #16
Sundown17

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:

He was saying "my second wife always kept me waiting so I wrote this song" (buckets of laughter here, he was cracking up - this was his second marriage story of the night) and then he said soemthing like "but then they both kind of fizzled out" more laughter.
Bill
Very funny, especially when you put that together with what he has said other times about the song..."it's about making babies in North America" lol
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:23 AM   #17
formerlylavender

I agree with everyone above - the concert was great. The setting was beautiful, except, as previously noted, for the stifling heat. The dinner was very good, and the show was even better. I borrowed a pencil and paper from Billw's wife, so I didn't have to walk down the huge hill to get paper out of the car.

The set list is as follows:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14K Gold
Never Too Close
Shadows
Beautiful
In My Fashion
Ghosts of Cape Horn
Blackberry Wine
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness (one minute version)
Sundown
The Wreck...

2nd Set (May be out of order - it was hot and dark, and the condensation from my water bottle kept dripping on my paper, so hard to read...)
Don Quixote
If You Could Read My Mind
Waiting For You
Painter Passing Through
Make Way For the Lady
Harmony
Clouds of Loneliness
Canadian Railroad...
Baby Step Back
Restless
Old Dan's...

Early Morning Rain (Encore)

The crowd was indeed diverse - the most diverse I've been to, and this was our 10th GL concert. I saw a lot of kids, too, on the lawn. Jbt and I both said we would go back to a show here next year, if he comes around. Thanks, jbt, for the awesome birthday present! The two hour ride went fast, and it was SO worth it.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #18
BILLW

Thanks for the setlist 'fl' now I can make my iPod playlist. Belated Happy Birthday, I was a little slow in the heat I guess but I didn't catch that. Looking forward to seeing you guys again in the spring at the Keswick. Tell jbt1976 to look for a package in a few days. Thanks again !

Bill
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #19
Bill

Been away from the computer for a few days...We attended the Wolftrap show. Absolutely fantastic! Stronger voice, good mood, great playlist mix (never will get EVERYTHING ya want though!). Sweltering heat -- when he was playing it didn't matter, when he wasn't it was unbearable. Rick and Terry kept mopping themselves with towels and Gord looked sweated through. Wonderful music and I was reminded again why he's been my hero since I was a kid.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:49 AM   #20
Jennifer

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
A little strange but oddly I was comfortable shouting to a 67 year old man in public...

Bill
LOL. Bill you are so funny!

Nice pics. Boy it must have been steamy outside. I don't do well at outside venues in that kind of heat but I would endure it to see Gordon. I'm sure it was great.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #21
formerlylavender

Billw, thanks for posting the pictures - they're great. You really can't tell how hot we were...

Jbt got the "package" in the mail, but he hasn't had a chance to listen to it yet. Thanks for sending it so promptly.

Hope everything is going well with you...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #22
BILLW

formerlylavender,

Well someone said to me "my God your faces are all red - must've been hot"

I'm glad it arrived safely. Everything's going well so far. Supposed to go offshore fishing Friday so I'll relly know how my luck is running then.

Say hi to jbt for us,

Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #23
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Hi to Formerly Lavender I cannot send you a PM it seems but

whilst perusing the Newsgroup I found an old posting from you in 2000 about the chat room
and you posted there as "lavender"

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...a126afac80e8ec
Incidentally if you look at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...1;t=001083;p=1
you posted to that topic both as (registered) "lavender and (unregistered) "formerly lavender"
I remember now Susan telling me when she came to see me in hospital in 2000 that another new chatter was you
perhaps we could see you there again. every Friday at 9pm EST lots of info and access links at
http://www.glchat.notlong.com
Cheers
John
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #24
BILLW

John,
Actually you uncovered the infamous incident where someone registered "Lavender", posted only once and then left us. the real "lavender" then started posting as "formerly lavender" based on this terribly traumatic experience. It's a wonder she can talk at all after something like that.

Peace Out,

Bill
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #25
formerlylavender

Hi John F.,
Billw is right, the "lavenders" in those links are not me. I don't remember when jbt first turned me on to this site, probably 2001, but I never visited the chat room. I did, however, meet you and your wife at the Greek Restaurant across the street from the Keswick in August 2005.

Billw,
You're too funny. I just got my pictures back from the Wolftrap show. They're great.