banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
charlene

Default LIGHTFOOT BUST unveiling in Orillia-Nov.2017-LIGHTFOOT Days-videos-photos

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2017/03...coming-to-town
A new tribute to Gordon Lightfoot is set to be unveiled later this year.

A bust of Lightfoot, donated by the legendary singer/songwriter and sculpted by Gino Cavicchioli, will be erected outside the Orillia Opera House. The official unveiling is expected to coincide with Lightfoot's 79th birthday this November.

The cost of the bust has been covered by Lightfoot, but the city is on the hook to install it at the opera house. Council committee recommended the $15,000 required to complete the task be paid for out of the opera house reserve.

Most councillors were in favour of the expense, particularly due to the immense popularity of the "Golden Leaves" statue at Tudhope Park. Lightfoot fans congregate at that statue regularly, and similar prospects of increased tourism - or at least increased selfie opportunities - are expected with the bust outside the opera house.

Check The Packet & Times Friday for more on the initiative, including an interview with Lightfoot himself.

(2009 thread about the unveiling in Hamilton)http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php...highlight=gino
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Bust of Lightfoot to be installed in Orillia

Funnily enough just yesterday I had discovered that somebody had purloined the bust image in order to rather inappropriately create a jewel case rear insert for a CD of the great 1968 Fillmore West concert that is archived in "Wolfgang's Vault".I am preparing an update on the availabilty of a set of 18 Losslessly compresed (FLAC format) files of that concert to make the notes in two earlier corfid threads more useful.Meanwhile I will attach that CD 's rear artwork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GL BACK SBD.jpg (234.6 KB, 832 views)

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
charlene

The bust that was unveiled by Gino in Hamilton in 2009 will be installed at the Opera House in Orillia !! http://www.orilliapacket.com/2017/03...ized-in-bronze
What measures 34 inches wide and 34 inches tall, yet appears bigger than life?

A bust of Gordon Lightfoot.

It also weighs 260 pounds - without the pedestal that will add another 3,000 pounds once it is installed in front of the Opera House. Monday night council committee agreed to fund the installation and pedestal with $15,000 from an Opera House reserve fund. Lightfoot is covering the cost of the bust and transportation of it from the Hamilton studio it was created in to here.

"First I had to make sure they wanted it. We had the possibility of having it installed it at Massey Hall as well, but I prefer to have it on display up in Orillia," said Lightfoot.

Renowned sculptor Gino Cavicchioli created it in 2007.

"I've always loved Gordon Lightfoot's music. Most of my work is commission but I normally do a few pieces of what I call self-inspired or self driven, something I desire to do. That particular year I did Gordon Lightfoot," said Cavicchioli.

The bust was first seen in public Sept. 6, 2009.

"Once it was finished, if it was a successful portrait, I would look for someone, maybe a collection, a public building. After I completed it, there was this major earthquake in Italy, so I decided I was going to use the bust as a fundraiser and that's when I did the resin casting."

That was at a benefit for the Abruzzo Earthquake Fund for victims of the L'Aquila, Italy disaster. Lightfoot attended and sang a song, signed autographs, and most importantly, did not forget about the sculpture.

The resin casting, which looks like bronze but weighs considerably less, sat in Cavicchioli's studio until last fall when Lightfoot decided it needed a better home.

"I decided I'd get installed in Orillia, I thought I might get it in the auditorium, but that didn't work out too well," said Lightfoot.

A suitable spot indoors that would not be more hindrance than useful couldn't be found. The interesting thing about sculptures is that more than one piece can be made of the same clay model, if it has to go outside there really is no problem.

"We had a meeting (with Mayor Steve Clarke) and decided to put it outside, so we got it bronzed for outside."

"I'm donating it. We found a spot for it to the left of the main entrance to the Opera House in a tasteful location," said Lightfoot.

Once Cavicchioli decided to make the sculpture portrait, the trick was getting Lightfoot to agree to sit for it. Cavicchioli was surprised Lightfoot agreed. In the first instance, the real deciding factor was not unlike Tim Schmaltz's when creating Golden Leaves, the sculpture of Lightfoot in Tudhope Park, a life-long love of Lightfoot's music.

"He's truly a legend and we are lucky to have him in this country," said Cavicchioli.

The exact date of unveiling has not been determined.

"It's going to be unveiled sometime in the fall, and I'm going to do a show because I haven't done a show there for some time," said Lightfoot.

It will not be during Lightfoot Days. The unveiling will take place in the fall near a certain annual event we all have.

"It will be around that time. I think they have a production in there on the weekend of my birthday when I thought we might do it, but we're thinking of moving it ahead to the 24th," said Lightfoot.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
charlene

Sunday November 5,2017 - @ 2 PM.
last day of LIGHTFOOT DAYS in Orillia - Nov.3-5.2017. http://lightfootdays.com
Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
jj

mounted

http://www.ginocavicchioli.com/sculp...lightfoot.html
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
thanks Jimmie
I take it you meant us to see this image??

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
paskatefan

^ Wow!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
jj

Default Where It All Began - Ultimate Tribute Nov 4

http://lightfootdays.com

the Town is promoting this on Zoomer radio ... Gord will be there again this year

Orillia also hosts Hometown Hockey during the 3 day Lightfoot celebration

Classic Lightfoot Live will also be collaborating with the St.Paul's choir

seating's all been re-done ( same true of GL Auditorium ) with new sound system

http://classiclightfootlive.com/buy-tickets.html
Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
charlene

Default Re: Where It All Began - Ultimate Tribute Nov 4

Steve Eyers gave me two passes.. just need transportation...not sure about hotel overnight availability for the bust unveiling on Sunday...
Old 10-17-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
charlene

Default Re: LIGHTFOOT DAYS-Bust of Lightfoot to be installed in Orillia

https://www.simcoe.com/whatson-story...lf-in-orillia/

If you could read his mind, what would Gordon Lightfoot be thinking?

Residents will have an opportunity to find out when the hometown troubadour appears outside the opera house Nov. 5 for the unveiling of the Lightfoot bust.

The head-and-shoulders sculpture was created by artist Gino Cavicchioli and donated by the legendary singer/songwriter.

West Street North will be closed between Mississaga Street and Coldwater Street to accommodate the anticipated crowd.

The unveiling, which coincides with an annual weekend-long Orillia Lightfoot Days celebration, is set for 2 p.m.

An interview with Lightfoot, conducted Oct. 17, will be aired on television to promote a Rogers Hometown Hockey event, happening in Orillia Nov. 4 and 5.

Council earlier this year approved $15,000 to cover the cost of installing the sculpture.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
charlene

Ron Maclean, Lightfoot, Tara Slone at Gordon's home for an interview to air on Hometown Hockey on Nov.5,2017 when they are in Orillia during the 5th annual LIGHTFOOT DAYS. (Sportsnet and Rogers)

Old 10-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #12
paskatefan

^ Great pics!

Gail
Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #13
charlene

Part of the broadcast is an interview with Juno award winning musician and Orillia native Gordon Lightfoot.

MacLean says it was a highlight for both he and Slone to interview Lightfoot.

He says Lightfoot is so free-wheeling, even he doesn't know how great he is. http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/n...p?NewsID=97186
Old 11-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #14
charlene

more photos and videos to come...
http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1251676 video
https://www.facebook.com/OrilliaOper...?fref=mentions
Old 11-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #15
paskatefan

What a wonderful ceremony! Loved hearing Alberta Bound on bagpipes, and Gordon speaking to the community!

Gail
Old 11-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #16
charlene

VIDEO - https://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hth/d...?show_id=13427

9 minute video shown during the 2nd intermission of last night's hockey game:http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hth/dr...don-lightfoot/
Old 11-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

It sure was a "Gordon Lightfoot Orillia Weekend."

With our kind musical friend, Paul Bartlett offering to be the designated driver we left Toronto early Friday, traveled light picking up Charlene and daughter, Lisa along the way and headed straight to Orillia Town for a weekend of Gordon Lightfoot related events. Gord's tunes streamed continuously through the sound system in Paul's vehicle to help keep us "intoned." Lovely trip it was indeed.

Events were coordinated throughout the week in Orillia, all building up to the very important big finale on Sunday at 2pm when a"bust" unveiling ceremony took place at the entrance of the Opera House with Gord and several members of his family present. The artistic sculptor, Gino Cavicchioli was also present.
Char and Lisa worked continuously to ensure video was made available to share with all fans. It is also available on Facebook. Fortunately the weather was quite favourable so things went along very smoothly.

Several dignitaries including Orillia Mayor Steve Clark spoke prior to the unveiling and related stories about Gord and the Town of Orillia. Gord was the final speaker and in his own unique entertaining way he make points about this hometown and the many things that played such an important part of his early life living there. He introduced his wife, Kim and in a jokingly manner pointed out that she, being American could now work in Canada if need be as she was a "landed immigrant." That one drew a few laughs of course. Kim was her elegant self, stood and smiled sweetly and was very gracious.

Following the ceremony all were invited inside the Opera House to share a huge birthday cake which was impressively laid out to commemorate Gord's birthday on Nov. 17th when he will turn 79.

It was a wonderful event, open to all and when Gord entered the room, being the true gentleman he is, accommodated anyone who approached him as he mingled throughout the folks gathered in the room.

There was tea, coffee, bar service and fine entertainment provided by Brad Emmons performing a host of Gord's tunes.
All in all a wonderfully entertaining weekend.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:12 AM   #18
jj

Great the four of you hooked up.
Didn’t know you hadn’t been in there. That’s the last notch in your belt
It looked quite different last time we played there but also when Gord first sang there in 1952
Choir did nice job joining in

Hey it looks like Gord wore Gino”s jacket for the bust. No one else noticed?
Remember him using Kris jacket for DQ? Hmm
Old 11-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
charlene

lol.. I spoke with Gino for a while and he told me he had Gordon wear his jacket..but he didn't give it to him..lol.. A little bit of Gino will forever be memorialized on that bust.lol..It's like a 'flight' jacket..very nice leather and Gino is a pilot so it suits him..lol..

I'll have videos/photos up soon..
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #20
jj

this is how it was originally red by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red.jpg (232.8 KB, 719 views)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #21
jj

hey, nice mention for the boys in the paper ( i wouldn't call it effortless... about 6 or 36 years at the project, lol ...we've learned it's not all 3 chord Gord stuff ) :

"Gord steals the show

Wow, what a weekend. Gord, Gord, and real Gord. The highlight of Lightfoot Days, musically, was the marquee show by Classic Lightfoot Live at St. Paul's Centre Saturday night.

I've seen many tribute artists and only two others (Ken Brennan's Dogs of War and Rick Stephenson's Sinatra show) that come off as effortless recreations of the real thing. John Stinson does that with Gordon Lightfoot's tunes. If you didn't have the use of your eyes and didn't know, you'd swear you were listening to a younger Gord on stage. It helps that Eric Kidd and Steve Eyers were along to help in the string section (guitars). The show opened with an old recording of a 12-year-old choirboy, Gord, singing with the St. Paul's Choir joining in."

first time (officially) Lightfoot and Westbrook attending... that was the buzz

thx alot!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
charlene

lol.. yep - it doesn't count unless the two of us are there.lolol!
It was a fabulous weekend.. I am so glad we could ride up and back with Ron and Paul and enjoy so much great music with great friends and cap off the weekend with the installation ceremony at the Opera House..

and here is the video of:THE LORD'S PRAYER recorded and sung in 1951 by12 year old choir boy Gordon Lightfoot at St.Paul's United Church in Orillia. Accompanied in 2017 by the St.Paul's choir during the 5th annual LIGHTFOOT DAYS in Orillia, proud hometown of Gordon Lightfoot b.Nov.17,1938. In 1951 Gordon won first place in his under 13 vocal class at the Toronto Kiwanis Festival, singing Alpine Song and Under The Greenwood Tree.

Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #23
jj

nice work!

yeah, and he performed for the first time in public right there at age 5. But no recording. Trivia: What song did he sing????
Old 11-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #24
charlene

I'm A Little Teapot...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #25
jj

no ... "What is I'm A Little Teapot?" this is Jeopardy