banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
charlene

Default Terry Clements Memorial Service -update

CONDOLENCES sent and printed out-sent to Gordon and Roz Clements.. Gordon read several at the memorial: read them here: http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=23355

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/the...&pid=149204803

Terry Clements

CLEMENTS, Terry - Passed away February 20, 2011 surrounded by his loved ones. He will be missed by his loving wife Rosalynne, daughters Elicia and Shaleena, son Steffan (Hayley) and grandchildren Crystal, Kaitlyn and Allison. A memorial service will be held on April 10th at 1 o'clock at the Hart House UOFT Music Room, 7 Hart House Circle. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation in Terry's name to the Heart & Stroke Foundation or Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-smallsize.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	4279  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Terry Clements Memorial Service info

Light a candle

If it begins to jingle jangle...it's quite likely, Terry

Wonderful to see his descendants (with such beautiful names) listed and I'm sure they will appreciate the member notes of condolence
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
manzanita

We will miss you, Terry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2 GL - Terry2.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	4272  

Last edited by manzanita; 03-30-2011 at 12:14 PM.
manzanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
jj

a really outstanding Mariposa image, thank you for my April 10th wallpaper...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
manzanita

Sure! Here is another one for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terry Clements Mariposa2 2010.jpg
Views:	1779
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	4271  
manzanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzanita View Post
We will miss you, Terry.
I clicked on it, filled the page - it made me catch my breath. Thank you.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
T.G.

I suppose this is open to all? I would hope to attend if so. I trust Gordon and the band will make at appearance if not on tour.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
jj

I hope all were able to pause today and reflect.

As I did there was a big boom as thunderstorms began.

It is now a lovely peaceful afternoon. RIP Terry
Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

been thinking of Terry all day. Hope his send off was grand. I am glad it it was a beautiful day for it
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
T.G.

Default Re: Terry Clements Memorial Service -update

It was a very moving service, hard to keep a dry eye as photos of Terry enjoying his family and fun flashed on the projector screen. At the front was an urn with his ashes, a portrait of him playing and a guitar. The whole band was there, along with members of the Good Brothers band, Liona Boyd and a former sound man for Gord, among others. The room at the University of Toronto was packed.

Gord read many, if not all, of the tributes written to Terry here on Corfid, while Rick Haynes also gave a eulogy. Terry's widow thanked Gord for offering anything needed to the Clements family during his last two weeks.

The service concluded with a touching, recorded a capella performance of Amazing Grace by Terry's daughters -- minus "their minstrel," who frequently had played the song with them on guitar.

Farewell, Terry.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
charlene

I'm just back from the memorial (it was 7 p.m. when I started this) and reception and Jenney is heading south to Connecticut. She left CT on Friday and finished the journey yesterday arriving at 1 p.m. in Toronto at the same time I did. It was a beautiful sunny and warm day so after unpacking we heading down Yonge St. to window shop and then have dinner.

We awoke this morning to rain and thunder but by the time we arrived at Hart House for 1 p.m. the rain had stopped and the sun was trying to break through the clouds. As we parked the car Richard Harison pulled in to park in front of us so we spent a few moments speaking with him and headed into the beautiful old University of Toronto building.

The Music Room was the perfect venue for the ceremony. At the front of the room was atable set up with a picture of Terry onstage, a wooden urn and beside the table was one of his guitars. Chairs were set up and shortly before 1 it was apparent that the 100 seats were full and another 30 or so would be needed for the overflow of attendees. Rick, Barry, Michael and Gordon, Liona Boyd, Pee Wee (Ed Ringwald), Russell DeCarle (Prairie Oyster) Warren (part time Lightfoot tour manager), Kenyon, TG,(corfid members), Bruce and Larry Good (The Good Brothers) joined many family members and friends who had congregated to celebrate the life of a beloved husband, father, friend, bandmate, and musician.

Terry's brother-in-law spoke of Terry's love of cooking and the travails of going grocery shopping with him. It certainly sounds like Terry was a terrific chef of gourmet meals and had many friends at the grocery store, making new ones in every aisle chatting up people about food and cooking and at times inspecting the grocery carts of other shoppers! Many family meals for all occasions were seen in a slide show of wonderful family pictures.

Rick Haynes talked about Terry and their almost 40 years together as friends and bandmates having met as young men when Terry was hired to replace Red Shea who wanted to stop touring. He confirmed the story of Terry in the grocery store as he too had spent time with him shopping while out on tour. He said they both shared a love of R&B music. Rick said that everyone Terry met was given his full attention, showing his kindness and a special affinity for young children who were interested in music.

Terry had one son, Steffan from his first marriage (3 grand-daughters), he married again, to Rosalynne and became a father to his new wife's daughter, Elicia and 5 years later they had another daughter named Shaleena. Terry always spoke so proudly of his children and and today his beautiful daughters shared their pride and love of their father. Elicia told us that Terry loved one particular piece of music by a Canadian classical guitarist, Jesse Cook and thru her laptop and the speakers in the room we listened to a beautiful song that Elicia will always remember her father by. There were tears of course but also some funny moments during the afternoon. Terry's sister-in-law also spoke and told us of her love for Terry and how much she adored him.

When Shaleena spoke she warned us that like her father laughed at his own jokes she would be the first to laugh at her own jokes too. She had a beautiful slide show of photographs that showed us Terry’s life almost from the day he was born. Those twinkly eyes and impish grin were clearly evident even in pictures of him as a toddler. His time as a young boy growing up in California, surfing and playing guitar at the beach coloured everything that came afterwards in his life. Nothing was as good as it was in California! Lol

There were many pictures of family and friends sitting around the table with plenty of food fixed by the very capable hands of Terry. At one birthday occasion the 'cake' was actually a turkey with numerical candles of 3 and 1. The picture showed Terry grinning like crazy getting ready to carve the bird. There were old pictures of Terry with members of the Lightfoot musical family over the years, all so young and exuberant looking, the world at their feet.

Elicia had an imaginary friend as a child. That friend was named Shaleena so it made sense to name the new baby sister the same name. I thought that was so adorable. Shaleena said her father knew that she and Elicia and their cousin all had great singing voices at very young ages. There was a picture of the three of them as young girls singing Amazing Grace. Since Terry's death the three of them had recorded an a cappella version 'because their minstrel was gone" and they regretted never having recorded it with their father any time they had sang it. She played the recording and it was the sweetest, most stirring rendition I have ever heard. When it finished there was a moments silence and then a huge spontaneous burst of applause from the crowd. It was a lovely, lovely moment that the girls appreciated.
Terry's wife Rosalynne spoke and gave special thanks to Gordon, to Rick and Marilyn Haynes for their unwavering support and to all the others who have offered support and comfort and special thanks to her two daughters.

Gordon also had a few words to say..actually to read. He had a sheaf of papers in his hand and said he had some e-mails to read that he had received. He was reading from the printout I had sent him of the condolences here at corfid. I had planned on sending them to only Terry's family but at the last moment I copied another set and sent a note with them to Gordon thinking he might like to read them as well, not thinking they would be what he’d read at the memorial! He had some noted with a red dot and read messages from Jenney, Sir John, Melissa, Gord H., T.G., Richard Miller, LadyA, Kelly Davis, teherie, Kelly Davis to name a few.

After that portion of the afternoon we were invited to stay and have something to eat and drink. Tables were laid with platters of fruits and vegetables, sandwiches, buns cheeses.. all kinds of yummy things. Terry would have loved it. Many of the chairs were folded up so the guests could move around and mingle and watch the photos that were playing on the screen and some music that Terry loved played softly in the background, including some of his own and Pee Wee Charles version of Amazing Grace that he had done especially for the memorial.

Mingling around I spoke with Rosalynne (Roz) who expressed her thanks for the messages I sent from people here at corfid. I also spoke with Liona Boyd and then Bruce Good whom I met back in January at Hugh’s Room. When I spoke with Gordon he thanked me for the condolence messages and introduced me to (the former) Mrs. Lightfoot, Liz, saying Char is the main internet person who keeps the fans informed. I then told Liz not to be afraid..lol I told him it was very nice of him to acknowledge the fans who loved Terry. I also spoke with Michael and Rick and Shaleena. I told her she did a wonderful job and Terry would have been pleased. It was great to talk with Ed again too and meet his wife. He’s been busy with George Canyon and on the road and overseas with him and having a grand time. Of course seeing Kenyon is always a delight and we caught up on the wedding preparations he and Johanna are making for their their August nuptials. We left around 4:30 after saying our goodbyes and headed out on our respective journeys after Jenney dropped me off at Union Station. I’m always happy to spend time with Sparky, share some laffs, chats, eat and shop. The time went far too quickly but we had a grand time.

I’m sure more details will come to me over the next few days and that Jenney will have some to add. For now I am just thankful to have attended such a loving memorial that was a testament to a man who was deeply loved and adored by so many. He will always be missed and remembered.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #12
Lisa J

Thank you so much for sharing an update on Terry's memorial service. We all wish we could have been there. It is very touching that Gord read all that we had written. And it made me cry to read that Terry's daughters sang without "their minstrel". He will truly be missed.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
Dream Street Rose

Thank you so much Char.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Nice Char - thanks for sharing.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post

Gordon also had a few words to say..actually to read. He had a sheaf of papers in his hand and said he had some e-mails to read that he had received. He was reading from the printout I had sent him of the condolences here at corfid. I had planned on sending them to only Terry's family but at the last moment I copied another set and sent a note with them to Gordon thinking he might like to read them as well, not thinking they would be what he’d read at the memorial! He had some noted with a red dot and read messages from Jenney, Sir John, Melissa, Gord H., T.G., Richard Miller, LadyA, Kelly Davis, teherie, Kelly Davis to name a few.
thanks for a great report as usual Char
It took me quite a while to locate that condolences thread that our supremely efficient moderator person printed out for Gord so for anybody who wishes to refresh their memory of what was written (I for one did) the thread is on two pages at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=23355

Last edited by johnfowles; 04-11-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added thanks for Charlene
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Moosedog

Glad you were able to make it to the Memorial, Char. And thanks for posting.
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
Jenney

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I’m sure more details will come to me over the next few days and that Jenney will have some to add. For now I am just thankful to have attended such a loving memorial that was a testament to a man who was deeply loved and adored by so many. He will always be missed and remembered.
Great job as usual Char with the recounting of the memorial. I can't think of anything to add. It was an honor to be there, and I'm grateful to the family for allowing us to be part of it. The pictures that were running in the background were of good times, lots of smiles and family shots, and the band in the early years.
I think I smacked Char's leg when I realized that Gordon was reading my condolence message, and went on to read several others. It was nice to have the "net people" included.
There was more laughter than tears at the memorial, and the most beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace that I have ever heard. I drove 18 hours to spend 24 hours in Toronto, and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
Sundreme

Thanks for sharing Char. The memorial sounds beautiful. I wish I could have been there, but your description makes me feel as if I had been. Its been almost two months but I still find it hard to believe he's gone . I know that if I, who only met him a handful of times, could be so affected by him, I can imagine the amazing presence that he had in the lives of his family and friends. I'm sure his absence has created a huge void in their lives, but hopefully the wonderful memories, stories and recollections will help to fill that void and heal their hearts.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
teherie

Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have been there too.

I am more of a reader than a poster but reading this account of the memorial service brought up lots of memories so I apologize in advance for the ramble. Along with my family and my many trips to Canada over the years, Gordon Lightfoot and his band are one of the true constants in my life.

Following Terry's death, Gord's Gold and Don Quixote had been in the car however, I have been traveling for the past two weeks and picked up a copy of Gordon's Double CD from when he was with United Artists. I don't know if it's possible to wear them both out, but it's all I have played.

I began to listen to Gordon when I got my first guitar back in 1968 when I was 13 and it's interesting to hear the similarities and contrasts between Red and Terry's playing styles. Back then I had everything Gord recorded either in LP, then 8 track, then cassette before stepping up to CDs. I had two music books (anthologies) that I loaned to the kid who lived in the upstairs apartment when I lived in Philadelphia. He moved out one day unannounced with no forwarding address and I never saw him or the music books again. On the flipside, Gord has managed to make songs both simple and complex so they aren't hard (even for a novice like me) to remember.

Gord and I share the same birthday (November 17) and I have both a 6 string Martin dreadnaught and a 12 string because of him so I guess that makes us kindred spirits (of sorts). I heard the band perform live for the first time on May 17, 1975 at the old Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh, PA. I even have the ticket stub to prove it and can remember waving to Gord, Terry, Rick and Pee Wee from across the parking lot. I'm sure they didn't remember that moment but I sure do.

Later on stage, Gord told the audience that he was just getting over a cold and asked the age old question: "How do you get a Kleenex to dance? Put a little Boogey in it."

On another thread, someone asked people about their favorite guitar lick or was it chord progression? Last June my oldest son and I were in the boat off Spider Bay near Parry Sound drifting along watching a couple of loons and their lone baby. I heard the opening bars of "Whispers of the North" come into my head but as we headed home, we passed a buoy and saw the open water of Georgian Bay behind it. My son said, "I know it's the wrong body of water but can't you feel the presence of the Edmund Fitzgerald and hear that haunting lead guitar in the air?" I'll be listening for it again when I head North 8 weeks from tomorrow.

Last edited by teherie; 04-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.
teherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
redhead

Quote:
Gord told the audience that he was just getting over a cold and asked the age old question: "How do you get a Kleenex to dance? Put a little Boogey in it."
This is so bad, it's funny....I keep laughing to myself about it.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
charlene

I thought I'd give a picture/video tribute a try... @ In memory of Terry Clements, longtime lead guitarist with Gordon Lightfoot.
July 22, 1947 - Feb.20, 2011
Music - Amazing Grace performed by Ed Ringwald (Pee Wee) who was a long time member in Lightfoot's band. He has given me permission to share his recording.
He is playing dobro and Shane Guse is playing fiddle. Both of them are in the George Canyon band. Ed recorded this for the memorial for Terry held on April 10, 2011 in Toronto at U of T - Hart House, in the music room.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #22
charlene

I thought I'd give a picture/video tribute a try... @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvyp5DhJ3A
In memory of Terry Clements, longtime lead guitarist with Gordon Lightfoot.
July 22, 1947 - Feb.20, 2011
Music - Amazing Grace performed by Ed Ringwald (Pee Wee) who was a long time member in Lightfoot's band. He has given me permission to share his recording.
He is playing dobro and Shane Guse is playing fiddle. Both of them are in the George Canyon band. Ed recorded this for the memorial for Terry held on April 10, 2011 in Toronto at U of T - Hart House, in the music room.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
Lisa J

beautiful. thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #24
redhead

Lovely.

Thank you, Char.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #25
Johann

Thankyou Ed and Shane,

..on your wonderful rendition of 'Amazing Grace' for our good friend and colleige.
Johann is offline   Reply With Quote