banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Lightfoot Covers

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
podunklander

Default Cover of Sundown by Toby Keith and "it"

Charlene wrote, “well the big ol' redneck was in town, leaving his patriotism at the border apparently..
...and didn't sing his version of Sundown.
(even if it's on the 'next' album he could/should have done it!- hello!! you're in gordtown dude and just recorded a gordtune!! )
http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../15460216.html”

At first I ignored “it”. Then I tolerated it. But then I couldn’t tolerate it and realized that I (nor anyone else) should have to feel offended or have to be in the position to have to ignore, tolerate, respond or even feel they have to defend a person who uses “it”.

Sometimes “it” is overt, other times -subtle, either way...it shouldn’t be tolerated. Unfortunately addressing “it” in too nice of a manner, feeling that words must be chosen carefully..being gracious and even eloquent about it....regardless of making the point that “it” isn’t being tolerated...may still give the impression that it is tolerable, acceptable, justifiable, somehow right or even somewhat ok .

History tells us it’s best to be blunt, not so nice, etc., when we wish to speak out and let people know that we feel offended and don’t and shouldn’t have to tolerate “it” and don’t want to be in the position to have to ignore, tolerate, respond/address or even defend “it”.

Most public message boards/forums have rules of etiquette that let members and guests know that “it” is not going to be tolerated.

Nobody should be forced to have to go along with it. Be made to believe that they had a ‘misconception’ about it. Or even to be told, made to think or even be asked by the person who is using “it” in their comments/thoughts/opinions...that their comments/thoughts/opinions are as “valid” as others’ who are not using “it”. I will not validate “it”

“To follow foolish precedents, and wink
With both our eyes is easier than to think.”
- William Cowper

Whether it be via racial prejudice, intolerance of someone’s sexual orientation or another’s country of origin and culture (including music)...it shouldn’t have to be tolerated -even if it’s veiled in patriotism, nationalism or otherwise the love of one’s Country. Not on a public forum. If a person wishes to use “it” privately...that’s their business.

Last edited by podunklander; 10-12-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Sundown17

Default Re: Cover of Sundown by Toby Keith and "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Charlene wrote, “well the big ol' redneck was in town, leaving his patriotism at the border apparently..
...and didn't sing his version of Sundown.
(even if it's on the 'next' album he could/should have done it!- hello!! you're in gordtown dude and just recorded a gordtune!! )
http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm.../15460216.html”

At first I ignored “it”. Then I tolerated it. But then I couldn’t tolerate it and realized that I (nor anyone else) should have to feel offended or have to be in the position to have to ignore, tolerate, respond or even feel they have to defend a person who uses “it”.

Sometimes “it” is overt, other times -subtle, either way...it shouldn’t be tolerated. Unfortunately addressing “it” in too nice of a manner, feeling that words must be chosen carefully..being gracious and even eloquent about it....regardless of making the point that “it” isn’t being tolerated...may still give the impression that it is tolerable, acceptable, justifiable, somehow right or even somewhat ok .

History tells us it’s best to be blunt, not so nice, etc., when we wish to speak out and let people know that we feel offended and don’t and shouldn’t have to tolerate “it” and don’t want to be in the position to have to ignore, tolerate, respond/address or even defend “it”.

Most public message boards/forums have rules of etiquette that let members and guests know that “it” is not going to be tolerated.

Nobody should be forced to have to go along with it. Be made to believe that they had a ‘misconception’ about it. Or even to be told, made to think or even be asked by the person who is using “it” in their comments/thoughts/opinions...that their comments/thoughts/opinions are as “valid” as others’ who are not using “it”. I will not validate “it”

“To follow foolish precedents, and wink
With both our eyes is easier than to think.”
- William Cowper

Whether it be via racial prejudice, intolerance of someone’s sexual orientation or another’s country of origin and culture (including music)...it shouldn’t have to be tolerated -even if it’s veiled in patriotism, nationalism or otherwise the love of one’s Country. Not on a public forum. If a person wishes to use “it” privately...that’s their business.
Okay, against my better judgement, I'll bite. What or who the h3ll is "it"?

And my impression of public is that anything and everything is possible. If you are looking for total agreement among members and contrary ideas banned...sign up on a private site.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown17 View Post
Okay, against my better judgement, I'll bite. What or who the h3ll is "it"?

And my impression of public is that anything and everything is possible. If you are looking for total agreement among members and contrary ideas banned...sign up on a private site.
So anything goes??? Even if it offends so many people and is offensive to your own country? These aren't "contrary ideas" as you call them. It's Anti-Americanism and it's hostile and cruel. Do you get off on that? Does that turn you too?? That's just sick.

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cf...event_id=29146

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Yankee...%3F-a030188773

Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Sundown17

[QUOTE=podunklander;166210]So anything goes??? Even if it offends so many people and is offensive to your own country? These aren't "contrary ideas" as you call them. It's Anti-Americanism and it's hostile and cruel. Do you get off on that? Does that turn you too?? That's just sick.[QUOTE]

Yep, shoulda listened to my better judgement. I asked a simple question, (which wasn't answered), stated an opinion (last I knew, in America AND Canada you are allowed to do that...free speech and all...you may not agree with what I said...but should defend my right to say it as I do yours) and got my romantic inclinations questioned for my trouble. lol

As Emily Litella would say..."Never Mind"
Closed Thread