banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-02-2000, 12:49 PM   #1
BeatlesRA1

Hi,
Does anyone know why Gordon doesn't play songs from the Salute album in concert? I seen him in 1983 during the Salute tour and that was the last time I heard any of the songs in concert.. I know Salute was considered a radical change for Gordon.. Plugging in that is!!
--------------------
Thanks,Chuck.
Old 02-02-2000, 12:49 PM   #2
BeatlesRA1

Hi,
Does anyone know why Gordon doesn't play songs from the Salute album in concert? I seen him in 1983 during the Salute tour and that was the last time I heard any of the songs in concert.. I know Salute was considered a radical change for Gordon.. Plugging in that is!!
--------------------
Thanks,Chuck.
Old 02-03-2000, 12:08 PM   #3
Gord

I have only heard Gord sing Tattoo once and that was by himself. If you look at the album sleeve you will notice with the exception of Barry Keane and Rick Haynes, Gord used other musicians on the LP and that could be why. Same reason why he won't perform many of the unreleased material off Songbook. At least that is what he told me himself last November.
Old 02-03-2000, 12:08 PM   #4
Gord

I have only heard Gord sing Tattoo once and that was by himself. If you look at the album sleeve you will notice with the exception of Barry Keane and Rick Haynes, Gord used other musicians on the LP and that could be why. Same reason why he won't perform many of the unreleased material off Songbook. At least that is what he told me himself last November.
Old 02-03-2000, 12:54 PM   #5
Wes Steele

I saw him sing "Romance" (maybe half of it) in concert years ago. It sounded good to me but it didn't sound good to GL. Right in the middle of the song he just stopped, giving glacier stares to the band, then started another song. You might be right about not having the same muscicians performing it live.

Wes....
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 06:55 PM   #6
Paul J B

Thanks for your replies,although I dearly love Gordons acoustic music I think Salute is a Fantastic album!! I love "Biscuit City" GREAT song!!

------------------
Ever Onward...
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2000, 06:55 PM   #7
Chuck Darling

Thanks for your replies,although I dearly love Gordons acoustic music I think Salute is a Fantastic album!! I love "Biscuit City" GREAT song!!

------------------
Ever Onward...
Chuck Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2000, 12:38 AM   #8
LouiseAnne

lol -- Wes. I LOVE the "glacial stare"!! Too bad you couldn't catch that on film! You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words -- although I must admit that your "two" words pretty much says it all.

One song he has done a lot off that album is "Knotty Pine", too. My mother, (by osmosis, I'm afraid) is a fan, too, but that is the ONLY song by Gord that she absolutely dislikes. She calls it "The Tree Song" and anyway it's become a form of a little private joke among us. But he hadn't done it in concert for awhile and I was taking her to a concert a few years ago and of course the subject of that song came up. I reassured her that, no, I was positive he wouldn't play it because he hadn't done it in years. Well, guess what the fourth song in the first set was!! She still hasn't let me live it down.

I like "Biscuit City", too, but my all-time favorites on that record are "Someone to Believe In" and "Romance." It was a little "off the beaten track" for him, but, then so was "Endless Wire" but it was a great album just the same.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2000, 12:38 AM   #9
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

lol -- Wes. I LOVE the "glacial stare"!! Too bad you couldn't catch that on film! You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words -- although I must admit that your "two" words pretty much says it all.

One song he has done a lot off that album is "Knotty Pine", too. My mother, (by osmosis, I'm afraid) is a fan, too, but that is the ONLY song by Gord that she absolutely dislikes. She calls it "The Tree Song" and anyway it's become a form of a little private joke among us. But he hadn't done it in concert for awhile and I was taking her to a concert a few years ago and of course the subject of that song came up. I reassured her that, no, I was positive he wouldn't play it because he hadn't done it in years. Well, guess what the fourth song in the first set was!! She still hasn't let me live it down.

I like "Biscuit City", too, but my all-time favorites on that record are "Someone to Believe In" and "Romance." It was a little "off the beaten track" for him, but, then so was "Endless Wire" but it was a great album just the same.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 02:55 PM   #10
Roger

I've been going to Gordon Lightfoot concerts since I was a very little girl (my mother is a fan, so she'd take me along since I liked the music and would sit still. Now, I'm making her go along with me... ) and I swear, every time we go, she always wishes that he'd play "Tattoo". It's her favorite song, and I don't think he's probably played it in at any of the Portland concerts I've been to. I think mom said something about how she thinks it has something to do with the guitar needing to be tuned differently? So that might be an additional reason. I should dig out that album and listen to it again next time I go home...here at college I didn't bring my record player, so I've just been listening to the stuff on CD.....*sigh*. My old roommate still twiches whenever Gordon Lightfoot is mentioned.....something about me playing the entirety of the Cold On The Shoulder CD at 08:00 each morning to help me get the day started...
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 02:55 PM   #11
Algeh

I've been going to Gordon Lightfoot concerts since I was a very little girl (my mother is a fan, so she'd take me along since I liked the music and would sit still. Now, I'm making her go along with me... ) and I swear, every time we go, she always wishes that he'd play "Tattoo". It's her favorite song, and I don't think he's probably played it in at any of the Portland concerts I've been to. I think mom said something about how she thinks it has something to do with the guitar needing to be tuned differently? So that might be an additional reason. I should dig out that album and listen to it again next time I go home...here at college I didn't bring my record player, so I've just been listening to the stuff on CD.....*sigh*. My old roommate still twiches whenever Gordon Lightfoot is mentioned.....something about me playing the entirety of the Cold On The Shoulder CD at 08:00 each morning to help me get the day started...
Algeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 04:50 PM   #12
paradoxides

Algeh, I used to do the same thing (but dif. album). My freshman year of college I HAD to listen to Dream Street Rose all the way through while drinking my coffee and playing soitaire in order to be able to function for the day. I still need to listen to him in the morning, but now I live in an apartment by myself and I therefore do not have room mates to spare.... I did rub off on my friends a bit though, one of my friends has an uncle who owns a record store and she had him hunt down albums for my birthday one year. I actually already had most of them, but it is the thought that counts. Also, when I drove down to visit her last year (she lives where I used to go to college, in Ca.) she pointed out that she had added Gord's Gold to her CD collection.
paradoxides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2000, 04:50 PM   #13
Pirate Queen

Algeh, I used to do the same thing (but dif. album). My freshman year of college I HAD to listen to Dream Street Rose all the way through while drinking my coffee and playing soitaire in order to be able to function for the day. I still need to listen to him in the morning, but now I live in an apartment by myself and I therefore do not have room mates to spare.... I did rub off on my friends a bit though, one of my friends has an uncle who owns a record store and she had him hunt down albums for my birthday one year. I actually already had most of them, but it is the thought that counts. Also, when I drove down to visit her last year (she lives where I used to go to college, in Ca.) she pointed out that she had added Gord's Gold to her CD collection.
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote