banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
jj

Default Reflections of May 2008

just looking back during this warm, rainy summer morning

...a photo montage is linked in post at bottom of this page

Last edited by jj; 07-23-2008 at 11:49 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
RM

Default Re: Reflections of May 2008

That reminds me..........

Is it my imagination or has there been a dearth of reviews about Lightfoot's performance at Massey. Charlene presented the set lists, and that's about it (as I recall). Have we reached the point where there is nothing new to report ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
charlene

love that song -always makes me weepy..
great job as usual James..
warm but cloudy day here in Hamburg NY with Dan and Nanci..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
brink-

Say Hi to Dan - from the mystery brink.

JJ you are wonderful, thanks for bringing this to the top again. I wish I had been there, but I shall be in November '09.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
mnmouse

That was an awesome video, JJ - looks like another magical few days at Massey.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
geodeticman.5

Wow JJ..... I.. wish I knew each and everyone in that very touching video. Thank you very much for the love and effort you put into that. Of course I recognized The Man, and some band members - especially Peewee who I've been talkin with in Myspace a bit lately.. You have a talent going here.... have you thought of collaborating with Thomasj157 and the Stone Wall gang, or am I out of date and you allready are.. ?

Man that was good - and I (sadly to me)- did not know most of the fans in it by face - which I wish I did. I wish I were at the financial and time station in life to travel to shows as many of you do...a dream for me..... Maybe in a year or two, God forgive me, I recover and perhaps fall in love with a new special woman, we'll travel and meet you all at concerts. Now that would be special to me. Thanksagain JJ.
~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Nightingale

jj, thanks so much for putting that up for us to see. I really enjoy seeing little snippets of all the fun you have at Massey.
I know that has to be a special time for those of you that go and also for Gordon.
He is blessed with some very nice and special fans.

Steve,
I have no doubts that you will have happy times with special people in the future.
Your Merry sounds like she was a wonderful woman and I have a feeling that she would want that for you...
Bless you and keep taking baby steps forward...they will get you where you need to be in time
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
geodeticman.5

Thanks for the kind and wise words Nightingale
~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
jj

glad you liked the accompanying tune, char...i figured so
hope all's well south of the border, say hi to the duo and thanks for the pics...I feel bad that BillW fine photos are not in this montage but when I went to the photo link to download, they had been taken down

also, nightingale, pam. sharron, deb, steve, thanks a bunch for the compliments on the video, all but it's really just a photo slideshow, very quick (and I was too lazy to pan over the photos but figured it also unnecessary and maybe even distracting) to do but it's the photographers (Lori, Dan, Cathy, Char, BW... who have I missed?) who really captured the moments and fortunately have shared for all to see

yes, steve, Stonewall Tom and I got to chat briefly at 2006 Massey about our video geek talk but I missed him this year and assume he took in a Gord concert closer to his neck of the woods in the Niagara area...his team is already >20% through the big project!

steve, you may have missed prior Massey 2001 to 2008 threads so here are some assembled video clips you can click away on at your own leisure
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=opus62

RM, there was some discussion of the performances (true, not the usual stellar char convention desecting review) in earlier threads but my contribution was fairly limited to thoughts upon hearing If Children Had Wings since it was the only live tune I'd not heard prior (wish there were about 5 more of these revived each tour)

similar to your Rolling stone review comment on COTS triggering a memory/anecdote of how you obtained the LP, I find that during most Gord concerts that mostly I drift off into reflections of when I first heard the song he's performing or recall a specific time that the song lyrics had a large impact on me at a moment in time...yeah, going to a Gord concert in recent years has been more of a reflective personal ritual rather than my typical scrutinizing of a live performance by an artist... at this stage, I attend to hear the songs, more so than the singer ...sorry I've nothing further to add as the Massey 2008 book closes ...so next it's Beijing 2008 and as far as I know, Gord will not be competing in the pole vault event ;
Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
banjobench12

Thanks for the video. Was lovely.

Who is singing and what is the name of the song?

I quite liked it
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

JJ, I have to tell you that this came across to me as a most joyous moment of exuberance; sort of... well, I think I'm still there. I never really left the place. I'm getting ready now to go down to the concert and meet up with the folks later at the pub again and just carry it on. It's never gonna' end man. This is just too cool.
I experimented with playing it full screen without sound as well and it is amazing. I could see the pictures flow across the room and into my mind they did go. Talk about one picture saying a thousand words; man these images tell it all from beginning to end. How could you top that?
But I have to say that a tear did veer through the fragile veneer of this guitar pickin' guy and whether it's High and Dry or Wherefore and Why, there's nothin' like talking of Days Gone By. Cheers, RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
charlene

at the end of the video James states the sound track is by Ronnie Hawkins..
http://www.ronniehawkins.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
...I feel bad that BillW fine photos are not in this montage but when I went to the photo link to download, they had been taken down
wait a sec, BillW pics ARE in here, they are the great ones up front of the restaurant folks

what is missing is the restaurant pic of he and family... I will do a revision, it is a must

Pam, yes, great pic you took and Cathy looks great for sure...add yourself to the credits

Ron, wonderful stuff...that last paragraph of yours is a doosey, sounds like you should be rapping, so much rhyme going on there

"But I have to say
that a tear did veer
through the fragile veneer
of this guitar pickin' guy

And whether it's High and Dry
or Wherefore and Why,
there's nothin' like talking of Days Gone By"

....and thanks Char, i think it is from 1987
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
SherylKat

Quote:
just looking back during this warm, rainy summer morning

YouTube - Massey Montage
Hi, I was at Massey May but not a part of "the group". SO GLAD I saw your montage - it brought back TONS of happy memories of my 5 days in TO! Is there any way I can save this to my computer - sorry, not incredibly computer friendly but some of the stuff I've tried to save off like You Tube, I've gone back later and found it wasn't saved. Thanks again, SherylKat.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
jj

here is revised version that rightfully includes restaurant shot of BillW and family

and for credits, I omitted Paul, Donnie and KathyK also... I routinely struggle with credits

Sheryl, I dont know how to download from youtube succesfully

if you PM me, sending mailing info I could send ya a DVD incl. Pub performance video

Ron, glad you are still at it out west...let us know when you will be in town again
Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
charlene

James, if you and Ron (and maybe Paul B and John S) get together I want to know about it!
I'm in Nova Scotia from Aug.8-21 tho.

check your e-mail..sympatico I think..
Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Right click on the video screen and select "Download this video to Real Player'. It stays in your Real Player Library.

Cathy
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
I experimented with playing it full screen without sound as well and it is amazing.
not intentionally bringing this back to the top, but 2 comments:

the quality of the photos that folks took and shared here are really what makes this...I just watched this (as a viewer rather than assembler) and realized how well moments were captured, the fans as well as some terrific stage shots of Gord...I slected about 10% of the pics I received

also, Ron (or anyone else) to optimize the viewing and listening you should choose the "Watch in High Quality" button that appears below the the bottom right of the screen...it will enhance the sound noticably and make the video transitions let burpy but it will still not help much when you try to watch Full Screen, I don't use that much

thx again, all contributors, and wish you were also part of the montage, SherylKat

ps) Cathy, my Mac has no right mouse button and on my Windows laptop there is no such selection when to right click but thx for the offer of assistance...I suppose I don't really need to save anything since the youtube things load so quickly while online

Last edited by jj; 07-26-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Right click on the video screen and select "Download this video to Real Player'. It stays in your Real Player Library.
Cathy
a belated, Thanks cathy...i finally caved and put the rp thingie on my Windows laptop (don't think there's one for mac) and it seems to work..i'll see if the dvd burn thingie works

i have a blu ray player that allows you took watch youtube videos on fullscreen tv...it seems to hang occasionally when trying HQ mode...i must be the only guy who still listens to tv and movies through the tv speakers...one day i'll cave and go for the amp sized woofer with full surround, shake the entire earth type speakers...anyhow, when the mood strikes, i mostly watch cbc on the little antenna set, in the mancave...and there's no phone in there, it's heavenly

anyhow, brink, i hope you also give this a go with fingers crossed...if it works, your welcome, if it doesn't, blame cathy
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:

Sheryl, I dont know how to download from youtube succesfully
Oh dear James for one who is so adept with video stuff in general , that is a terrible admission of failure that you have repeatedly said recently
Pity about the lack of a right click on a MAC a serious deficiency
But seriously had you merely googled for:-
"download youtube videos"
amongst the 164 million results are a few very simple procedures and a gazillion free programs to download and install
but echew all of those because the simplest is to take any youtube URL for example your very own

just add "pwn in front of the youtube.com thus
http://www.pwnyoutube.com/watch?v=guJpmxswVvY
and if you paste that address into your browser's address box a download link page on deturl.com will usually open like magic l
with the download link all ready to be used
Anybody using a proper computer with the proper browser (Internet Exploder) can then very simply press the right button on their (Apple invented) mouse and select from the proferred right click menu
"Save Taget As"
even Char should have no problem understanding that simple mini-tutorial
Dammit it just failed to function for me (the site must be down)
So here are two backup solutions

if you have any trouble with that method there are two even simpler systems provided on other websites
  1. http://www.downloadyoutubevideos.com/
    paste in the address wait patiently until you see a large arrow and a largish download button
    or go to
  2. http://www.savevideodownload.com/download.php
    and again paste in the address
you will get one or two small text lines saying in the case of Jim's video
Download (14.96 MB) Medium Quality (MP4 Format)
Download (7.48 MB) Standard Quality (FLV Format)
the word download will be in red and is a clickable link that itself will initiate the download
No need even for that right click action
Yet another method is to realise that with any video that has completely played then asks if you wish to replay and it will immediately play at the full speed. this is especially useful as silverheels once pointed out if you are on a slow dialup connection and utilises the fact that during the original run through the video file has been saved in its entirety in your browser related Temporary Internet Files folder. The trick is to find that folder and a large file in it that is the full flash video file that you can simply copy somewhere else but as with downloaded flv videos from the two site methods above will require a suitable renaming opertation else the next video you download could overwrite the first one!
A number of helpful punters have created and uploaded tutorial videos
such as this needlessly raucous one:-

I am sure there are better ones amnongst the list on the right of "related videos"
Sorry Cathy but IMHO any of the above is preferable to getting needlessly entangled with Real Player

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-15-2009 at 01:52 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote