banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
charlene

Default SARASOTA, Florida article

http://www.bradenton.com/entertainme...201388819.html

Gordon Lightfoot brings hit-filled show to Van Wezel

BY MARTY CLEAR
mclear@bradenton.com

February 21, 2018 04:00 PM
Updated February 21, 2018 04:56 PM
Gordon Lightfoot has had a lot of hit songs. But he’s able to fit almost all of them into his live shows.

You can see for yourself when the Canadian singer-songwriter comes to Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall in Sarasota on Thursday.

“We do all the big songs, and beyond that we rotate songs,” the 79-year-old said in a phone interview from his home near Toronto.

He’s able to pack so many of his best-known songs into the concert because he’s done a little editing.

“It took me years to realize it,” Lightfoot said, “but a lot of my songs work just as well if you take out a verse or two. Better even. You can’t do it with ‘The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald’ or ‘If You Could Read My Mind,’ but a lot of them fit quite well into sort of a medley format. A lot of my songs are really long.”

Audiences may not even notice that Lightfoot has cut out selected bits of “Sundown” or “Carefree Highway,” but they’ll notice that they’ll hear their favorite songs, and they’ll notice that the concert runs briskly through Lightfoot’s half-century career as a recording artist.

“It’s fast-paced show,” he said. “We keep it moving along.”

Unlike a lot of singer-songwriters who came onto the scene in the 1960s, Lightfoot performed songs by other writers. He had a No. 1 hit in Canada with “Me and Bobby McGee” before just about anyone else had recorded it, and he recorded “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” eight years before Roberta Flack.

Other artists had better luck with Lightfoot’s compositions “Early Morning Rain” and “For Lovin’ Me,” from his 1965 debut album, were well-known to folk-music audiences before Lightfoot himself was.

“Peter Paul, and Mary!” Lightfoot said when those songs were mentioned.

There’s still gratitude in his voice at the thought of the folk superstars recording his obscure songs in 1965. “It surprised me. I had had a few albums and they hadn’t done well,” he said.

Once Peter, Paul and Mary and Canadian duo Ian and Sylvia stared recording Lightfoot’s songs, others followed. George Hamilton IV had a big country hit with “Early Morning Rain” in 1966, and Judy Collins, Chad & Jeremy and even Bob Dylan recorded popular versions of the song.

It wasn’t until 1970 that Lightfoot had his first hit in the United States, when “If You Could Read My Mind” became one of the most popular songs of 1970. Through that decade, he had a string of hit singles (“Beautiful,” “Sundown,” “Carefree Highway,” “Rainy Day People” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” being among the biggest) and albums that were staples in college students’ record collections in the era.

His core audience is obviously older now, and Lightfoot and his four-piece backing band treat their audience with respect.

“We’re very punctual,” he said. “If the show starts at 8, we’re on stage at 8. It’s a two-hour show and we play two full hours. We take a 20-minute break, and we’re back on stage in exactly 20 minutes.”

Details: 8 p.m. Feb. 22, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, 777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota. $41.85-$63.25. 941-953-3368, vanwezel.org.

Marty Clear: 941-708-7919, @martinclear

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/entertainme...rylink=cpyRead more here: http://www.bradenton.com/entertainme...#storylink=cpy
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.
Default Re: SARASOTA, Florida article

SGDD. (Same Gord, Different Day... and that's a GOOD thing!)
Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Melissa

Sorry I missed the Sarasota show. The Van Wezel is probably my favorite of all the Florida venues. But it's hard to catch all the Florida shows because the band jumps back and forth across the state every day! Not such a big deal in a private plane, but lots of driving for us ordinary folks!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
charlene

remember how cold it was back in February 2006 in Sarasota? Good thing we filled up on Italian food and wine before the show! lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote