banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Bill

While in Las Vegas last fall I went to the Cirq du Soleil show LOVE that uses Beatles music and images...an incredible experience! We got the album over Christmas and have plans to see the show again in the spring.

George Matin and his son didn't just string Beatles songs together, they remixed different intrumentals from various tracks into other Beatles songs. The result is like a live performance...in fact for the first few minutes of the show it is like the Beatles are in the room!

With Cirq being Canadian, it would be nice to see Gord's music worked up -- if only in a mini-show.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Dream Street Rose

Bill,

That sounds awesome. We will be in Las Vegas in May and I hope to see the show too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Bill

Yeah, we were blow away by it...only other big show I've seen anywhere else is Phantom of the Opera elsewhere in the US, and which is now in Vegas too.

The Beatles website, Cirq site, and Mirage site all have video trailers of the show.

At one point the entire audience is under a sheet together. Massive moving video screens, 360 degree theater, acrobats, and speakers in your seat! Total emersion of the senses.

I saw McCartney twice solo over the years -- the last Cirq opened his show. Paul live is best, but different. Cirq is sensory overload almost. Watch for rollerblading lads, trambolin guys being chased by police...too intense to describe! Hope you get to see it -- we've already bought tickets for our April convention trip.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Winter's Claw

I don't think GL's music would lend itself very well to a circus, to be honest. I just can't see fire-eating trapeze artists performing to "Looking at the Rain" or "Cotton Jenny." The Beatles show sounds cool, though.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Bill

I agree that a whole 90 minute show might be hard to sustain, but it's not exacting clowns and Ringling bros. They did a nice job on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Yesterday", and other gentle ballads...very theatrical and graceful. And then there was the all out rock and roll too.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
jj

that DOES sounds exciting and as if it would be fresh to the ear, Bill...big Sir George fan here

I haven't seen many big shows that I recall either other than Phantom and Tommy...I must say that with Tommy I was blown away by the live, heavily acoustic arrangements and tightness of the pit band/group and really had to chat them up later on, cool guys they were...but I wasn't so into the theatrics...imo, with big shows you need to luck out on those big $$$ seats to take in any facial expressions

the thing that makes me really crazy about big show nights is the BIG planned 2+ hour meals beforehand that make me stir crazy...'restless'

conversely, whenever I dart into Massey, I usually have a French fry hanging from the lip, a Tim's coffee in one hand and my tix stub in the other in the ready position as I approach the turnstile

I agree about Circ du Gordeil maybe not working out...in the 80's after attending a series of Laser Floyd, Laser Genesis, etc shows, I recall suggesting to a friend the idea of Laser Lightfoot...we both chuckled and shrugged, oh well
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I received the LOVE CD/DVD for Christmas. Nice job.

Regarding Gord's music fitting a big show I think he's already got the perfect opening tune:

A Lesson In Love (East Of Midnight)

Nothing is for certain
That's what the showman said
First you must open the curtain
And stand'em on their heads
There can be no inhibitions
No prima donna ways
If you want to pass the audition
And times is tough these days
Remember when Mr. Barnum
Presented Jenny Lind
They named a candy after her
A circus after him
End of my story
The rest is history
She in all of her glory
He lived quietly
He needed her, she needed him
As sure as the sky above
In a way it was for them
A lesson in love
A lesson in love

You look like the moonglow
That follows me home
Always makes me turn around
Won't leave me alone
First to come are the midgets
A monkey and a kid
Followed by those two one-armed jugglers
The ego and the id

Songs of the season
Apples of the sun
There is no rhyme or reason
Just a time for each and every one
Hang on Mr. Barnum
Hang on Jenny Lind
We will meet you in streets of gold
Where eternity begins
We will let it all hangout
Go hand in glove
Live was meant to live and learn
A lesson in love
A lesson in love

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Borderstone

I recall in Novemeber the entertainment magazine show "EXTRA" (or was it Access Hollywood? )did a whole hour about this prjoect. (It was on Thaksgiving night & there was nothing better on.)

I was amazed when they took Ringo's "Octopuses Graden" and layered the music from "Strawberry Fields" in place of the old music. It fit perectly.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
hiway songs

Beatles Fan here. BIG fan. Married to a Lighthead. Do we play the BEST music ever in our house? *smiling*

Went to see LOVE just the other day. I'm still reeling from it. What an incrediable show! and I agree with Bill, the first few minutes was like a live performance. The music is fresh and vibrant. The performers were great, but for me it was all about the music. I could have sat in my seat with the speakers in the back and watched nothing but old clips of video and stills of the lads and been just as happy.

George Martin and his son are genius. It's that simple. A must see if you're in Vegas. Hint, we got the front row of the balcony $99 tickets, and could see everything, its a Cirque show, so lots of stuff overhead, the balcony was perfect. Another hint, we didnt' get the CD until after watching the show. I think my evening was enhanced by not knowing how the music was remixed, which also made it seem more like a live performance and less like a Cirque show.
hiway songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Bill

Sounds like your reaction was like ours...overwhelming show. We go back in April...got the $135 setas with a different vantage point. Wondering what it'll seem like the second time. Taking one of our friends who will be seeing it for the first time.