banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
wendylangley

OK, I admit I'm a Geezer. My memory harkens back to The Golden Bear across from the pier in Surf City, CA (Huntington Beach.) 'Bout 66ish, I think - Black Day in July.

Next would be The Troubador in LA. Similar time frame. Much music took those stages. Back when most of the world didn't know yet.

Next came my Draft Notice . . .

The Rez

------------------
It was a Beautiful Rainbow
A Beautiful Time in my Life
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
wendylangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
The Rez

OK, I admit I'm a Geezer. My memory harkens back to The Golden Bear across from the pier in Surf City, CA (Huntington Beach.) 'Bout 66ish, I think - Black Day in July.

Next would be The Troubador in LA. Similar time frame. Much music took those stages. Back when most of the world didn't know yet.

Next came my Draft Notice . . .

The Rez

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
bjb

Hi Rez,
What were your impressions of him back then?

BJ
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Janie

Hi Rez,
I saw Gord in the fall of 1970 in Victoria.
Summer Side of Life was his opening
song. A friend made an observation that he (gord)made eye contact etc with Red much more often than with Rick (bass player) and he didn't care for that. (Years pass; I'm sure Rick's ok with that now!)
He did Dylan's "Girl from the North Country"....opened the sone with a great lengthy mood setting whistle.
Thanks for the memory!
Janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
hkusam

Hi Rez,
I saw Gord in the fall of 1970 in Victoria.
Summer Side of Life was his opening
song. A friend made an observation that he (gord)made eye contact etc with Red much more often than with Rick (bass player) and he didn't care for that. (Years pass; I'm sure Rick's ok with that now!)
He did Dylan's "Girl from the North Country"....opened the sone with a great lengthy mood setting whistle.
Thanks for the memory!
hkusam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
Janice

Even though I've listened to his albums since I was a young teen in the early 70's, I didn't see him live until August 2000 at Humphrey's By The Bay in San Diego. I flew out from New Hampshire for that show. That was the beginning of my love affair with the West Coast and after a few more trips out here, I moved lock, stock and barrel September of 2001.

In between trips to San Diego and moving, I took a trip to Toronto in May 2001, and saw him at The House Of Gord, A.K.A. Massey Hall. Plus I saw him again at Humphrey's in October of 2001.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
The Rez

What did I think of Gord back then?

Being a musician, playing w/ 5 other white guys who wanted to be black, we loved heavy R&B: Brother Ray, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, our own stuff, but I loved the Kingston Trio, too, and PP&M.

Both The Golden Bear and The Troubador hosted folkies then. When I heard Gord sing Affair on 8th Avenue and The Last Time I Saw Her Face, I was torn down to the ground.

His music hit me as hard as Ray, Elvis, Jackie, James - you name 'em. And it was G & G - Gord & Guitar.

I'm still bleeding. And looking forward to bleeding some more in Cerrittos.

I do believe only Brother Ray could have done those two songs in a way that Gord would've rocked back in his chair and smiled . . . knowing.

I'll stop just before worship.

The Rez

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
Ol Man River

Early 70,s Massey Hall paid $3.50 for the ticket just paid $55 for the May show
________
Mustang I

Last edited by Ol Man River; 02-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Ol Man River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
culverd

Early 70,s Massey Hall paid $3.50 for the ticket just paid $55 for the May show
culverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Moosedog

I saw Gordon for the first time in 1981, at the Mill Run Theatre in the Chicago area. I've seen him at Ravinia several times since then, in Nashville (early 90's I think??), at a community college in the Chicago area, and once up here in Traverse City a few years ago. Sure wish he'd head back up this way - he has a lot of fans up here!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Boomer

Hey all! I've been hooked on Gord since 'Sundown'. First seen him in 93 at Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego. Took my 10 year old daughter. After the show about a dozen of us waited for Gord and band to exit the building. He came out about an hour later and was so pleasant and gracious. For the short time he was there, he gave everyone their private "minute with Gord". I've seen him every year since then except of course the last few. TC
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:38 AM   #12
TC

Hey all! I've been hooked on Gord since 'Sundown'. First seen him in 93 at Copley Symphony Hall in San Diego. Took my 10 year old daughter. After the show about a dozen of us waited for Gord and band to exit the building. He came out about an hour later and was so pleasant and gracious. For the short time he was there, he gave everyone their private "minute with Gord". I've seen him every year since then except of course the last few. TC
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #13
DiggerBoy

I first saw Gordon in Detroit...possibly the late 60's (I lost some brain cells between then and the 80's) It was at U of D, maybe the gym...Just folding chairs, Gord and Guitar and heaven! Can't recall not one song, but I was hooked from then on. I probably saw him in concert 10 more times since then. The most memorable concert was in the early 70's...in Detroit also. It was a World Hunger Benefit-Harry Chapin, John Denver, James Taylor and GL. No bands...just guitars. They sang alone and did duets. Awesome! I'm hoping he'll add a Michigan stop to his tour this year. Everything else is too far.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kathy in Michigan (edited February 23, 2005).]
DiggerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
Kathy in Michigan

I first saw Gordon in Detroit...possibly the late 60's (I lost some brain cells between then and the 80's) It was at U of D, maybe the gym...Just folding chairs, Gord and Guitar and heaven! Can't recall not one song, but I was hooked from then on. I probably saw him in concert 10 more times since then. The most memorable concert was in the early 70's...in Detroit also. It was a World Hunger Benefit-Harry Chapin, John Denver, James Taylor and GL. No bands...just guitars. They sang alone and did duets. Awesome! I'm hoping he'll add a Michigan stop to his tour this year. Everything else is too far.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kathy in Michigan (edited February 23, 2005).]
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #15
Borderstone

Hi Rez! Let me tell you my story (short version) but first,those that have read it before on older threads,you know the story so feel free to move on from here.

Well,R...my first and (so far) only GL show was his concert at Dodge Theatre here in Phoenix,AZ. It was Aug. 6th,2002 and for about a year at that time I had become more avidly interested in hs music,having bought "Songbook" box set one day short of a year before.

That collection of songs made me definetely want to see him live when I found out about it,so I went to Ticketmaster and got my seat! I knew I was meant to go to this because the date of the show was the same as my late Grandmother's B-day. Kind of like a gift from beyond somehow.

The day of the show,I went downtown a few hours early to make a day of it. Then around 6;30-7pm we all started filing in. I sat in the 10th row and when the show started,I was not able to see as clearly as I liked but was amazed at how much he still sounded like what I had heard already! He opened with "Don Q." but I forget what came after.

Anyhow,at intermission I noticed that no one was in the first row (not counting folding chairs in front of the stage) so I moved up there and then I could clearly see this was him. Black shirt and I think jeans.

He kicked off pt. 2 with "Rainy Day People" I believe. He started talking about the film Hail Hero without mentioning the title so I shouted it out and he said back,"You got it man!" and he sang a song that never got used in the film. Probobly SDYS.

After the show about 30 of us waited 45 mins. until he showed up and we got autographs and talked to him! I wished I'd brought my LP's! Great night though and I'll never forget it!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 23, 2005).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #16
ELizabeth

The first GL concert I ever saw/heard was at the DAR Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. in 1976. I remember very little about it - I had just separated from my husband -a time I prefer not to remember in any great detail. I saw GL again at Merriwether Post Pavillion many years later. It must have been after '82 because he had obviously quit drinking. He was gaunt and barefoot. I didn't enjoy the concert much. he seemed angry or grouchy throughout the evening. Hope I enjoy Wolf Trap more than these two.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #17
stillaround

I probably met the rez at either the Golden Bear or Troubador--allthough it was Hoyt Axton who was always at the Bear.--I had a front row seat in '66 for GL at the Troubador and brought a tape recorder--He didn't mind, in fact went out front between sets and talked with everyone. He's still the same and hangs out at the Mexican restaurant near the alligator bar after his show at the Orleans.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
stillaround

I probably met the rez at either the Golden Bear or Troubador--allthough it was Hoyt Axton who was always at the Bear.--I had a front row seat in '66 for GL at the Troubador and brought a tape recorder--He didn't mind, in fact went out front between sets and talked with everyone. He's still the same and hangs out at the Mexican restaurant near the alligator bar after his show at the Orleans.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #19
The Rez

Originally posted by stillaround:

I probably met the rez at either the Golden Bear or Troubador--allthough it was Hoyt Axton who was always at the Bear.

Do you remember the painting on the wall of Hoyt, w/guitar of course.

From 74-bulldozer time 2 friends of mine ran The Bear. Rick Babiraki just died at 56. I went to his memorial and saw so very many old, old friends - and pictures from 74 on. Bro Chuck is a James Woods look-a-like. Sad occasion, but good to re-unite w/ that time and place - if only for a moment.

Yes, we probably did meet. That was the friendliest place I've ever known.

Saw Gord w/ full band at The Troubadore in the late 70s when Doug Weston needed bucks to keep it open. Sat looking right up his nose (which is far better than it sounds.)

The Rez

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
Old 02-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
The first GL concert I ever saw/heard was at the DAR Constitution Hall in Washington D.C. in 1976. I remember very little about it - I had just separated from my husband -a time I prefer not to remember in any great detail. I saw GL again at Merriwether Post Pavillion many years later. It must have been after '82 because he had obviously quit drinking. He was gaunt and barefoot. I didn't enjoy the concert much. he seemed angry or grouchy throughout the evening. Hope I enjoy Wolf Trap more than these two.

He's not barefoot nor grouchy these days and you WILL enjoy the Wolf Trap concert more, no doubt. And you'll get to see one of my infamous Hawaiian shirts up close. That alone will keep you laughing at least.

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #21
bjb

Wish I could have seen him in the early days! I first saw him in a "coliseum" with 10,000 or 15,000 other people in the early 80s...but he was larger than life and electrifying

PS I LUV Hawaiian shirts (sp???)
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #22
Sentimental

Well I'm not quite a geezer yet but I was a kid the first time I saw him in 1974. I was 15 and my parents drove me down to Spokane Washinton (from Vancover Island), to see him. I had tickets to both shows and they were a few rows from the front and almost in the center. I can remember being the first one to jump up and clap on the standing O's. He sounded wonderful and I hung on every word of every song (I still do that).

I waited backstage with a small group for quite a while to see him. I must say I was a little bummed out that he came out with two pretty girls on his arms. I was sure that if I could just have the chance to talk to him that *I* could be his girlfriend. Ha ha, remember, I was 15. Anyway, he DID talk to me but I was so zoned out I didn't hear what he said, and too embarressed to say "what?" It was very nice, I'm sure of that. I did get his autograph, green marker, I still have it in a little frame. Ahhhhhhh, it's nice to reminisce.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #23
The Rez

20 yrs ago I took my three sons to see Gord at The San Diego Fair. They'd heard his music all their lives, but never seen before. So this is their first concert experience w/ Gord.

My sons were then 15, 13, &11. All 3 grew up in Spokane. They'd spend the summers w/ me at the beach in Balboa.

Due to a rather bizarre string of events, (I still look on it all w/ wonder,) I'd come to know Gord a bit thru a TV guy in LA I'd worked for.

In Spokane (and everywhere,) punk was again going strong. My 15yr old Rainbow-haired son drummed in The Vampyre Lesbos. He didn't really listen to much folk music then. My other two boys were climbing the same ladder as their brother (albeit w/ natural blond hair.)

So we found seats in the grandstand of the race track (aren't all Fair concerts held where the ponies race?) and enjoyed the show. Now, the boys knew most of the songs just from hearing them so much across their lives, but they still sat still - eyes rivited on the stage - ears wide open.

When it was done, my oldest said, "Dad, ya know, it was kinda nice to just sit back and here him sing his songs. No show. Just sing. That was good." All 3 agreed (punk to the core still, bu)t under GL magic.)

We went backstage for a bit and Gord was kind enough to pose for some snaps w/ my boys. Just as folks all over this site have said, "GL was gracious."

There were other concerts and other snaps, but that was their first.

Now my sons are 35, 33, & 31, residing in Maui, Bellingham, WA, and Japan - respectively. They still know the songs. We sing 'em when we're able to be together.
They particularly like my attempt at The Yarmout Castle.

Punk is behind them (w/ exception of the tattoos,) and Gord's still there.

Generations, Gord - Generations know.

Adios,

The Rez

------------------
A Thing to Share
A Time to Care
To Be Alive
Old 02-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #24
ELizabeth

BillW, I love Hawaiian shirts! Will you color coordinate with your wife?
If so TQ and I had better coordinate also.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:27 AM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by ELizabeth:
BillW, I love Hawaiian shirts! Will you color coordinate with your wife?
If so TQ and I had better coordinate also.

Actually she dislikes the "dressing alike" routine but since it's August she'll be dressed Lightfoot appropriate, LOL.

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote