banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
charlene

Default Elton John - 48 years ago..Lightfoot was there.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/201...onth-and-5-in/
Elton John made his first American appearance at Doug Weston’s Troubadour nightclub - 9081 Santa Monica Boulevard, West Hollywood - on August 25, 1970, 48 years ago this month, according to the singer’s official website.

Elton John made his first American appearance at Doug Weston’s Troubadour nightclub - 9081 Santa Monica Boulevard , West Hollywood - on August 25, 1970, 48 years ago this month, according to the singer’s official website.

The iconic performer was accompanied on the night by drummer Nigel Olsson and bassist Dee Murray.

Elton, Nigel and Dee, lyricist Bernie Taupin and four members of Elton’s Dick James Music (DJM) team arrived in Los Angeles on August 21.

A red double-decker ‘London’ bus with a huge banner on the side reading "Elton John has arrived" greeted the party at the airport, as the hype built about this talented new kid on the block.

Elton’s American debut may have cost $5 to get in, but few individuals in the audience that evening were asked to pay up. US label publicists had spent two months making sure that that the 300-seat club would be jam-packed with music industry and media figures.

The Troubadour, in any case, was the place to be if you wanted to hear cool music. Quincy Jones, The Beach Boys’ Mike Love and Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot were in attendance. Also there was and Danny Hutton who, as a member of Three Dog Night, had released two John/Taupin compositions, Lady Samantha and Your Song.

Neil Diamond, holder of the house record for attendance, introduced Elton to the Troubadour crowd before what was by all accounts a cracking show commenced, according to the website.

48 years later, the singer is playing to vast audiences on his Farewell tour and he is commanding somewhat more than five dollars a head entrance fee.

Ultimate Classic Rock describes Elton's debut Empty Sky album from the previous year, 1969, as 'bluesy psychedelic pop.'

'Reverse-tracked guitars, bongos, harmonica drenched in reverb, pan flute: It's like the Rocket Man stumbled into a lost Strawberry Alarm Clock session. Taupin's lyrics don't help matters at all. It's hard to believe the guy who would soon pen the words to Your Song could be quite so jazzed about chronicling the Vikings who worshiped Thor on Val-Halla.'

Elton recently revealed how he tried to help his late friend George Michael in his battles with addiction.

Troubadour history:https://www.troubadour.com/history/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.
Default Re: Elton John - 48 years ago..Lightfoot was there.

While I'm a fan of Gordie of course! But over the years I became of a fan of a certain other British artist, one Mike Nicholls, who went by the stage name of Nicky James (like Elton was once known as Reginald Dwight ) who at one point was trying to develop other artists, and did some very early songwriting with Ol' Reg. And, apparently, in those early days, Reg stole a block of scheduled studio time from Nicky, and Nicky was not a forgiving type, so his subsequent lack of fandom of EJ kind of rubbed off on me. But then again, I don't think I've ever heard an EJ song that I disliked.

Do I wish I was there at this USA debut? Well, if it meant I was sitting next to Gord, sure! But otherwise, I don't know.