banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
Borderstone

Default Re: GL Lyrics fan(atics) fun quizzers and more !

Aww man! You see what happens when you work long hours and can't get to the library?

I knew more than 1/2 of those! Ah,well.....maybe the next game.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #27
geodeticman.5

Borderstone - will add one just for U only - others please respect, its cryptic and arcane top-secret question name will be..... cracking case open.... QBORDER

song for Borderstone only to decipher, as he is only periodically able to get to
the library to log on..... he should have a shot too, so this'll cover it..for U B
BTW - are you still in need of a home pc ? - IF u r, i know of a 286 or 386 - not sure..in the family - that has been offered up for grabs - postage being paid...er.. rather freight.... by the recipient... that'd be the hard part..... should I check into this for U Border ?

QBORDER:......had a glass of....

for you BO-Bro

~geo steve

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-08-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling and keyboard errors and clarification of post
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
geodeticman.5

LOL this whole thing reminds me of a scene in that great Billy Crystal Comedy - City Slickers... the scene where , on the trail-drive - Billy is sitting across from the Ben & Jerry-like ice cream mogul twins.... and the Josh Mostel big guy is the alleged master of what ice cream would go with the most...... eclectic and obscure meal.... he says to Billy - go ahead... challenge me.... Billy responds with some relatively basic meal, and The big brother (Mostel) sneers, laughs, and says paraphrasing " oh come ON, pulleease... give me something REAL to work with.." and throws his plate of beans onto the ground (analagous of the symbolic challenge i guess of throwing your hat in the ring of the contest), narrows his eyes...good bad and the ugly song whistles in the background.......dusty wind blows through the campsight....

and Billy Crystal says OK..... "Sea Bass,.." - Mostel injects: "broiled or sauteed?" . so on and so on...... and Mostel finally answers RUM RAISIN ! phew ! and the brothers high five each other whuh! Billy , puzzled, says, "What? how do you know, whuh! ?" - the twins respond "5,000 franchise locations and growing...thats how....."

what exactly the metaphor or analogue is here i am not exactly sure, but it is safe to say.... we have a MULTITUDE OF LYRICS LIGHTFOOT EXPERTS..... ardent fans, in any event.... as I am... the ardent fan that is.... surely not the lyrics expert.... surprised i have not made a mistak on my vsiualized Q's excerpts......

hope u are enjoying them.... i am.....

~geo steve whuh!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #29
joveski

off the top of my head, i can only think of..

26: ordinary man
30: borderstone

its funny with the other phrases, i know the melody of them but cant put the song to them!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #30
geodeticman.5

Joveski - Bingo.... on both... uh oh i just realized something.....for Borderstone's sake....hmmm shh

4 to go of the 6

geo Steve
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #31
formerlylavender

Q25 - The Way I Feel
Q28 - I'll Tag Along
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
geodeticman.5

Lavender - excellent bravo ! Lavender jumps up and down holding hundred dollar-coins being counted out to her by Bob Barker - 1,2 3.4.5.6.7.8.9. $1,000 in Gord-coins goes to the lady in the lavender sweater... lets have a round of applause from the audience ! lol

ok that leaves
Q27 & 29 to go
hints:
some little store

apples in the sun

but which.... do they aply to.....i dunno (whistling casually)

that'll bust 'em

HAVE FUN

~geo steve

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-09-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: accidental innapropriate content - corrected
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #33
geodeticman.5

I've realized an ambiguity on q29
original clue - fragrance
corrected clue - some little store

in fairness clue to corrected song 1st clue would have pointted to : In my keeping
...so - to clarify -

q29a original song i thought of - corrected, definative clues:
.... some littlestore, ..perfume...
q29b ambiguity-correction case clue - another song - fragrance, and in my keeping
- use those ..clear yer head of my ambiguity previously...... now q29 is 2 songs

let me know if thats unclear - - you'll get'em both thats alll that matters - have fun

either song would take it now on q29 - but kudos to getting both a & b, my error

~geo steve
Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #34
joveski

Affair on 8th avenue
Old 08-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #35
geodeticman.5

Q's 31 -36 ! and: last guess reply

Yes joveski - I'd of worried after my correction clues to that one if no one got it. Only one song left q27 2 clues thus far: ego and the id
apples of the sun

OK a third - its one his ethereal songs..... as he says a "walk down shrink alley"
one more lyrical phrase from it - there is no rhyme or reason, just a time for....

since I know you guys will get it from that I will go ahead and

POST Q'S 31 - 36 !!!!

Q31.....on a chilly morn
Q32.....warmin' in the
Q33.....fortress
Q34.....decked
Q35.....bend
Q36.....clean

HAVE FUN......you guys are getting so fast - i am having to go almost to one word on each.... but when thats the case - they have to be *unique* to that song. its sorta hard to come up with - but fun. And i know i got the easy part.....

~geo steve
Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #36
formerlylavender

Q31 - Seven Island Suite
Q32 - On Susan's Floor

BTW, you guessed correctly - I am a girl. The color lavender does have a feminine connotation to it, doesn't it?

Fun game...
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #37
joveski

Q33.....fortress

(if you could read my mind)

Q35.....bend

(bend in the water)
Old 08-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #38
geodeticman.5

Lavender - YES! APPLAUSE ! = yes your name does have a feminine connotation, but in today's gender-bender world - I need to B sensitive and politically correct.....but since, to be a gentleman, you'll notice I visited your profile page, and confirmed, in connection with an old post as to the origin of your name - stumbled into initially on "names" search per another member - I saw your old '96? post of the origin of your name Lavender. FYI you are most definately a FEMALE lol..

Anymore.... I dunno aboot up there in Canada, where the men are men, and the ....well whe'll leave that salty saying for the sad men in saloons stemming for gold.... down here in the lower coterminous 48 (similar but not equiv to contiguous, John, thought i would save u from a hundred hours of hyperlinks to prove me wrong....LOL ole friend.....Levity.... is good..... says... the "Shat" - in stilted... Shakespearean.... forgot his lines.... now famous...pharaseology of Captain Kirk.... SOMEONE OR SOMETHING.....got 2 others correct back to the thread...

[COLOR="magenta"]Joveski[/COLOR , bingo , CONGRATS - the masters are racking up their birdies and eagles, others are moving below PAR , DQ, waiting in the colloqium wings, aproaches the diaz, i mean the tee.. his caddy hands him a five irom.... the crowd din lulls to a hush...he eyes the ball, waiting for the last two songs...giving others a chance,,, but years of training and education are bursting at the cerebreal cortex, rendered, open to suggestion from my subliminal synapse signals imbedded in my text...AND SO.. [you will alll send me money... you will all..lol j/k]...SO THE LAST 2q'S Left are:

Q34 - .....decked....

Q36 - .....clean.....

I don't think i need to add to these, one or two more expressions of puzzlement and I will add second clues... thing is, you guys are getting so good, we are down to one word clues to even challenge you diehards......and if one, as I mentioned, the word *must* be definative and unique to ONE song. Thats hard. As I am sure DQ would agree, that while this is a very small case of, a very hard thing to do: writing tests , often starting with the answer first, and forming the question, something I have had to do that is VERY difficcult at times, which the Professor (DQ) I am sure would agree.

I digress. HAVE FUN on the last two -others jump in and I'll give a Gordon Lightfoot T-shirt to the mostest postest correctly, if I coud EVER find a GL t-shirt LOL, just kidding on the prize... what my CLIENT MEANT to say was.....LOL

~geo steve

ps obsure clue - who typically cleans....regularly... ?

and...
decked, not as in slugged or hit, but rather...clothed nattily or interesting/colourfully....

that'll bust 'em - got to stop giving away at the first difficulty....

so...... ???? i noitice the number of viewers greatly exceeds that of posters, which seems normal, but suggests some are reluctant to try and ...be wrong.... it's not the end of the world.... I BLEW the question on Affair on eighth Ave. versus Softly, transposing clues of frangrance, versus little store..... it happens... its ok - take a poke at it, and as long as it appears it is fun to y'all, I will keep em coming. It is good distraction for me and I appreciate the Lightfoot frontal lobe MP9 in my head playing the songs....j/k to come up with 'em.

post post script:

!geo steve

"have a Gord day, Gord day to you..".. I hereby lay claim to those two statements, which I may self-consciously make one of those "bottom of the post" cool statements of lyrics, typically. How do you do that again ? no treatis with hyperlinks necessary - just the cp page button to tag.... is it the quote, or the ( ? ) i need to fill in. ?

HEY WAIT A MINUTE - AFTER ALL THE CLUES I ADDED ON" EGO AND THE ID" Q27 - think we still have a stumper so far - anyone want get closure on that - there are perhaps 3 post script additional clues above.... but I'll do one more.
Q27.....Nothin is for certain..... that'll bust it.

late - geo steve
Old 08-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #39
joveski

Q27.....Nothin is for certain..... (a lesson in love)
Old 08-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #40
geodeticman.5

Joveski ! wins the Q27 remainder with:

"A Lesson In Love" = from EOM lp er.. CD Congrats - phew - that was a tuff one.

Any takers on Q's 31 -36 ? $1 one money - one handfull of songs.... step right up folks...
ignore that women saying he doesn't know the songs well enough to make the Q's there behing the curtain..... she is obviously hysterical.....

Q31 - 36 ? .....geodeticman narrows his eyes......loosens the chord on his 6-shooter's holster and gently rests his palm, fingers tappin' on the gun..... the sun is in his opponent's eyes.... he knows he's faster, and doesn't want to hurt anyone.... but he's been called out, and told to "jerk that smoke-wagon, you lilly-livered corfidite.... anyone who listens to Gordon Lightfoot would eat Lutefisk, and anyone who would eat Lutefisk would..." - Geodeticman bellows out in one-lung blast-as-he-can and interrupts the young would-be folk-music afficianado, who says GL songs'l put anyone to sleep in the first 30 seconds....[/I].". To which, geodeticman takes umbrage, interrupts him, and says "ALLRIGHT...THAT'S ENOUGH SIDEWINDER......LETS SEE IF YOUR GUN IS AS BIG AS YOUR MOUTH.... WE'VE SEEN WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH KIDS.... NOW LET'S SEE IF YOU CAN RUFF-UP AND WING A GROWN MAN,..... WHO HAPPENS TO APPRECIATE A SONGWRITER-PERFORMER THAT CAN SING...AND WRITE... AND ......COMPOSE/ARRANGE/ORCHESTRATE.... OR CAN'T YOU EVEN READ MUSIC PILGRIM? YOU COULDN'T FIND YOUR MP3 WITH A SIX-MAN SEARCH-PARTY, FULL A...RIPPED-OFF ...cr** SONGS BY CR** SINGERS, WHO CAN'T WRITE CR**..BUT WOULD CRITIQUE OTHER'S WORK....... BY ATTEMPTING TO GRACE BY CLASSIFICATION THE FICTIONAL RUBRICS OF INFERIOR DAUBERS IN FOLK LIKE ( names omitted to avoid thread-brawl) WHO WOULDN'T KNOW GOOD MUSIC IF IT BIT' EM IN THE DONKEY'S HIND-END, YA DRUG-STORE C'BOY, SO -YOU- SKIN THAT SMOKEWAGON, CAUSE PILGRIM, THIS IS THE DAY WHEN SCHOOL *REALLY* BEGINS....stupid kid... gonna get himself 'kilt... its all so avoidable..but no..they gotta challenge me...damn....And I just got this Suitcoat cleaned by that new-process "dry-cleaning" they call it in Orillia.... good family that owns that business, too.... hmm coat smells like naptha.... mothballs....." the DUDE yanks his six-shooter, he's fast but not fast enough..... geodeticman, regretfully, makes short work of him...].."Damn", "and he was just a kid, listening to who he thought invented folk music.....fella can't sing worth a damn either...sure can write, though....." and, sadly, he re-holsters his scrimshawed ivory-handled six shooter........ lol

OK guys, Q;s 31 - 36 ?

~geo steve
- "and have a gord day, and a gord day to ya"

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 08-10-2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling and incorrect pairs of italics & text color hard to read
Old 08-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #41
joveski

36: Biscuit City
Old 08-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #42
geodeticman.5

Joveski,

I'll take your word for it as an ambiguous case. I refuse to try to prove anyone wrong. I'm singing that one in my head, "and the town is squeeky CLEAN" - is that the line you're thinking, and/or did I GET IT RIGHT ?

In any event, this ambiduous case begins with the song runnin' through my head whewn I thought of the cord "clean" and would be curious if anyone can get it based on the clues thus far:

"who (or what) cleans for a living" - re=stated that way - think ppl will get the one I had in my head.

But kudos Joveski - I say you got a valid case on 36. Whuh!

And Q34 remains as the last , unless someone gets my original thought on "clean"

Q36.....decked..... not as in slugged or knowcked down, rather as dressed colorfully...

to which I will add "She was"....

~geo steve
Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #43
RM

Q34 Rainbow Trout

"She was all decked out like a rainbow trout" (I didn't even have to cheat)

Last edited by RM; 08-11-2008 at 02:33 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #44
geodeticman.5

whuh! to RM ! Congratulations on the apparent stumper. Taking the ambiguous case of clean as good too, its time for

drumroll from slightly-sloshed C&W Bar-band drummer pinch-hitter , geodeticman of '77 ilk

-crash! on the cymbal, quickly silenced by my hand, followed by the sound of a distant dog barking.....

Q's 37 - 42:

Q37...everyone that she met.....

Q38...I can still put on.......

Q39...dollar i earn(ed).....

Q40...roundest.....

Q41...stirrin'......

Q42...ages......

There ya go...Enjoy

~geo steve
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #45
joveski

yep, i was reffering to bisciut city!

38: Saturday clothes
39: Boss man
40: Lazy morning
42: Rock of ages

for #37, i was thinking On the high seas, but the real lyric is "someone she met"
Old 08-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #46
geodeticman.5

Whohoe Dude ! JOVESKI GETS 4 IN RECORD TIME, of the 6 ! I think DQ came in similarly to this. OK...... -sigh- lol, the remaining two are:

Q37.....everyone that she met.......clue:....prisoner, who.....

Q41.....stirrin'............. clue:....of a thousand.........

BTW with each reply , would you guys mind saying you want them "easier" or "harder" ?

That way I can make it more fun, the whole point.....

~geo steve
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 AM   #47
geodeticman.5

Miscellaneous Question based on Joveski thinking of "On the High Seas"

does anyone know what "On the High Seas" was tentatively called and sung as on the '76 Soundstage Live performance ?
"take 5, keep ya alive" said Gord during the mid-show band personnel bio's intermission
-you probably ALL know, and I am thinking myself clever.....LOL

~geo steve
Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 AM   #48
geodeticman.5

BTW - THE ANSWER TO .Q36: .....clean....., allthough Biscuit City was accepted from Joveski as valid, and probably better than my intended song - cause Gord wrote it ! He did NOT write the song I was thinking of with the Q - "I used to Be a Country Singer" - "and she asked if she could clean my room" (the maid) - by memory. If anyone used search strings, I bet that would not turn up, cause its not a Lightfoot tune. Good song , though - I like GL's cover of it. I hope, for fun, to keep it sorta fair, everbuddy is going my memory, as Jovesky was et al. Just a "for the fun of it" reminder.

~geo steve
Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 AM   #49
joveski

> of a thousand.........

face of a thousand people?

On the high seas, was On the TV back in '79
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #50
geodeticman.5

OK - Joveski, I'll buy that, on ....a thousand....., but does that ambiguous case also have .....stirrn'...? - I am not sure, but will take your word for it.... if not....the Q still stand with ....stirrin.... as the last clue.. and I'll add... I think I heard....

AND .....correkit' on "On the TV" during Soundstage '76 !

so, Q 37 is still up - ....everyone that she met.... ....prisoner, who...
and a third clue ....died away at sea...

and Q41 may still be up if it does not contain ....stirrin...but does have... a thousand..

what do you think by Jove ?

Tags
folk-legend, geodeticman, gordon lightfoot, lyrics, quiz