banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #26
Dan O'Malley

I think the closest Gord come to scoring a movie was "Hail Hero". A 1969 anti-war movie starring a young Michael Douglas. I bought this off ebay, and the movie is pretty bad! The credits state "Music by Gordon Lightfoot" but all he contributes are the title song and a different, faster version of "Wherefor and Why". Needless to say, these two songs are the only good things about the film!
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #27
Dan O'Malley

Whilst on this subject, I remember reading that "Ghosts of Cape Horn" was written for some movie or documentary, and Gord says in the book from the boxset that it was used in the movie. Anyone know anything about this??!
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:16 PM   #28
Borderstone

On the contrary,I saw Hail Hero on the late night movie and I thought it was great! Gord did the title song and W. & Why but also has been stated before,Sit Down Young Stranger was also written & recorded for it too but the studio passed on it! (Idiots.)

The Ghosts Of Cape Horn documentary has been mentioned here too but I'have never seen it or know the title. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #29
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Gord's "May I" uses kid's games & phrases as a metaphor for the mental games that adults play when it comes to love,relationships and physical attraction. If you think about it,getting to an equal level with the opposite (or in some cases) same gender in these situations is just like a game. One false move or mistake and you lose or have to start over.

As for being in a kids movie,I think any of the 1970's live action Disney films would fit well. I'd pick,"Escape To Witch Mountain". A film I fondly recall but I also feel should be re-made for todays kids,seeing how it's now 30 years old this year. It's been me,later!

Remember, I've never heard the song, and I looked at the lyrics only once.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #30
DMD3

Gord's "May I" uses kid's games & phrases as a metaphor for the mental games that adults play when it comes to love,relationships and physical attraction. If you think about it,getting to an equal level with the opposite (or in some cases) same gender in these situations is just like a game. One false move or mistake and you lose or have to start over.

As for being in a kids movie,I think any of the 1970's live action Disney films would fit well. I'd pick,"Escape To Witch Mountain". A film I fondly recall but I also feel should be re-made for todays kids,seeing how it's now 30 years old this year. It's been me,later!

Remember, I've never heard the song, and I looked at the lyrics only once.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:20 AM   #31
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Amazing apropos this topic:-
I noted just now a new ebay auction:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1161
for a VHS tape of a 1987 movie
PAPERBACK HERO
"Featuring hit music by GORDON LIGHTFOOT" - ("If You Could Read My Mind").

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:20 AM   #32
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Amazing apropos this topic:-
I noted just now a new ebay auction:- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1161
for a VHS tape of a 1987 movie
PAPERBACK HERO
"Featuring hit music by GORDON LIGHTFOOT" - ("If You Could Read My Mind").

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #33
DMD3

"East Of Midnight" would also be a good ending song.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #34
DMD3

"East Of Midnight" would also be a good ending song.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:09 AM   #35
Borderstone

Amazing how no one here mentioned,"My Love For You" from Harry Tracy! Last mention of the film,I promise.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #36
steve gittins

The Ghosts Of Cape Horn documentary has been mentioned here too but I'have never seen it or know the title. Been me,later!

[/B]
I've got the "Ghosts of Cape Horn" video in my collection, it was dated 1985. But I can't tell who produced it.
Also the 1996 Discovery channel documentary, "Shipwreck: The mystery of the Edmund Fitzgerald," is an EXCELLENT account of the disaster. There are clips of Gord's songs, profiles of the Captain & crew,the ship, weather data, and the role the Andersen played in the search.
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #37
BendRick

[/B]
I've got the "Ghosts of Cape Horn" video in my collection, it was dated 1985. But I can't tell who produced it.
Also the 1996 Discovery channel documentary, "Shipwreck: The mystery of the Edmund Fitzgerald," is an EXCELLENT account of the disaster. There are clips of Gord's songs, profiles of the Captain & crew,the ship, weather data, and the role the Andersen played in the search.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #38
Tom

The movie which comes immediately to mind, and quite obviously so is "Pirates Of The Carribbean". I wouldn't dare replace the "Yo ho, yo ho, a Pirate's life for me" in it because that's part of Disney's POTC theme-- besides it fits. But couldn't you just hear Gord singing any number of his ship and sail songs throughout the movie? TMCITR, H&D, Triangle ... possibly even 14 Carat Gold. It's worth believing ...
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #39
Mary Ann

The movie which comes immediately to mind, and quite obviously so is "Pirates Of The Carribbean". I wouldn't dare replace the "Yo ho, yo ho, a Pirate's life for me" in it because that's part of Disney's POTC theme-- besides it fits. But couldn't you just hear Gord singing any number of his ship and sail songs throughout the movie? TMCITR, H&D, Triangle ... possibly even 14 Carat Gold. It's worth believing ...
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #40
Borderstone

I watched "Oh,God" with George Burns & John Denver the other night and I thought "Mr. Rock Of Ages" would have fit perfectly in that film.

Or,is it too negative,for such a positive movie?
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #41
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Time - you got that right !

Also - to all - I thought Don Quixote was also written for Hail Hero , but was overlooked. My God ! As topical as it may sound, it seems a metaphor for so many things to me.

Hope you all have been well, good to have a word in once in a while lately. Miss y'all

geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote