banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2005, 06:12 AM   #51
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
Hey Bill! Been reading those "B.C." comics again have you??
HI Border!! Actually I was into Marvel comics. Spiderman and Ironman and those guys!

Hey Bill,
I think "the B" was talkin' to me and my granite tablets, LOL. (Marvel was great back in the day - wish I still had some of those #1s). Peace.

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #52
talbot10

Also, there are many thoughts, memories, experiences, and life lessons that I have learned from Gord, but some are so personal and precious that they are mine. I don't even share some of those. They are just a part of the fabric of my life, as I have listened to him for 34 years now, as has my husband. They are interwoven into our marriage of 39 years. It is a beautiful thing.

Wonderfully said Aime!
bill

------------------
..*you will always have your time to shine, even in the winter of your darkest hour*...jeremy enigk - http://www.cdbaby.com/billhall
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #53
talbot10

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:
Hey Bill,
I think "the B" was talkin' to me and my granite tablets, LOL. (Marvel was great back in the day - wish I still had some of those #1s). Peace.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Peace as well. have a great week.
bill

------------------
..*you will always have your time to shine, even in the winter of your darkest hour*...jeremy enigk - http://www.cdbaby.com/billhall
Old 02-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #54
Janice

quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
That said, the clamore to be the "ones" who are closest to Gord's heart has ruined some friendships and that is sad. In the end, the music is great but individially we likely don't mean jack shit to Gordon Lightfoot or anyone in his inner circle on a personal basis. Not that we should. We are just fans. It would serve most folks here better to remember that and stay friends.
Bill Hall

Nicely said, Bill, and I agree whole-heartedly with your philosophy.

As for CDs being critiqued before they even come out...The Harmony reviews taught me that I'll listen to others opinions, but I won't hold much stock in them until I listen for myself. As an example, after reading all the comments about Harmony, I had an expectation that ended up being way off base. After reading that it wasn't as "produced" as earlier albums (someone even said it was "underproduced" - in a good way, not a negative one), I expected songs stripped down to basics - something closer to an "unplugged" feel - and I pretty much found it to be just as "produced" as his previous albums (those that I've heard, anyway and granted, I've not heard them all). Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing and it doesn't make it a bad CD, I was just expecting something very different and was a little disappointed from that perspective (I've gotten over it, though).

Songs and albums strike folks differently and in a broad spectrum of personalities, tastes vary even in the isolated realm of Lightfoot material. I seem to recall a common favorite song for most folks that doesn't make it your favorites list or mine. (I won't mention the title, just in case my memory isn't serving me correctly )

Bottom line is you have to appreciate other opinions, but judge for yourself.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #55
Borderstone

Bill,we obviuosly mean something to Gordon or else he would not have thanked "the net people" at one of his recent concerts.

Gordon has also been around long enough to know that we (not just us here on the site but others as well) as fans mean very much to him. Without fans or as I used to say "avid listners",of his music,what would his songwriting and music mean to anyone but himself and those that truly are closest to him and in his inner circle?

What if he had not become famous in Canada? He'd be a blue collar worker wondering,"what if" this had happened or "maybe if I'd done this differently".

Believe me Bill,we mean something to him,not on a close knit personal level but in a univeral sense that,all his fans are friends because they like him for his words,his music and just who he is. ...and in Canada,I know it means even more than that.

Those are my feelings about it and I usually don't say things like this but on this one occaision I will....I know in my heart I am right. Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #56
talbot10

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Bill,we obviuosly mean something to Gordon or else he would not have thanked "the net people" at one of his recent concerts.

Gordon has also been around long enough to know that we (not just us here on the site but others as well) as fans mean very much to him. Without fans or as I used to say "avid listners",of his music,what would his songwriting and music mean to anyone but himself and those that truly are closest to him and in his inner circle?

What if he had not become famous in Canada? He'd be a blue collar worker wondering,"what if" this had happened or "maybe if I'd done this differently".

Believe me Bill,we mean something to him,not on a close knit personal level but in a univeral sense that,all his fans are friends because they like him for his words,his music and just who he is. ...and in Canada,I know it means even more than that.

Those are my feelings about it and I usually don't say things like this but on this one occaision I will....I know in my heart I am right. Later!

------------------
Old 02-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #57
talbot10

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Nicely said Border. I stand corrected.
Peace. Bill

------------------