banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default The Way I Feel

That song, inspired by it's richness in lyrical abundance in the title alone resonates in my mind each time a feeling becomes alerted by an occasion or a happening.

Clearly had something to do with seasonal change as I discovered last night when I stepped outside with my dog just before bedtime.

Until now Toronto temperatures have been very warm which kept giving us an extension on summer but after opening the back door, my sense of smell became acutely alive as a noticeable drop in temperature brought with it the very first scent of Autumn. It was like sweet perfume wafting through the gentle evening breeze.
I couldn't get enough of it to quell the emotional spasm it jolted in me resulting in pleasant tear being wiped away.
A really wonderful way to feel. Unlike non other.

Now here's another change.

On page 2 of the "Gordon Lightfoot The Way I Feel" songbook, referring to "The Way I Feel" there is a notation by Gord at the bottom of the page saying "This is not the key of C or A minor but an Indian Raga similar to the Occidental Dorian Mode ( D, E. F, G, A, B flat, C, D.) Totally out of my scope.
He uses the chords D5, C5 and G and plays it with the capo on the third fret in the drop D tuning.
At Westlake College Gord was educated in musical theory, jazz composition, orchestration, etc. so it stands to reason that he would apply that knowledge to his own compositions and "The Way I Feel" sure seems to be one where it's totally applied.

The reference "Indian Raga" is something I can relate to though as I recall once at a concert in Massey Hall by Ravi Shankar, he spoke about Indian Classical music and mentioned several of his compositions included Ragas.
I found this music to be spiritually elevating so I kept going back to hear Ravi perform at each opportunity.
Guess it's all about how we feel or felt about something that affects us. We always remember people by the way they made us feel.
Jory Nash and Angus Finnan coined it pretty well when they titled their yearly Gordon Lightfoot Tribute Concerts at Hugh's Room in Toronto "The Way We Feel."

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 09-08-2018 at 03:14 PM.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:53 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: The Way I Feel

very nice, wordsmith Ron - I don't know that term either .. I'd like to hear a Gregorian chant version ... as I'm tinkling this, I don't know which version of the song I've got in my head ...there is that instrumental bridge on the latter version he released, which i start into, then bail ... music often imitates life, and v.v.

cheers,
JJ

https://youtu.be/Z6xLHeBkPY0
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Melissa

Ron, you made this statement:
We always remember people by the way they made us feel.

Very ironic that you would say that. I remember, many years ago, when I was attending a business seminar - probably had something to do with motivating people or managing difficult H.R. situations in a business, or something like that. I never forgot these words the presenter offered.......

Your employees may not remember what you do. They may not remember exactly what you say. But they will always remember the way you made them feel.

I never forgot that, and always tried to remember how my words or actions might make my employees feel.

It's so fitting to apply that to Gord's music. Who among us cannot say that there are countless songs of his that make us feel a very certain way.......songs that bring up a particular memory, songs that make us happy, songs that make us sad, but, always, songs that have an impact.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ron. Very well put.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

Wonderful story Melissa. Many, many thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
Martyn Miles

I was introduced to ‘The Way I Feel’ by listening to the music of the English group
Fotheringay. I hadn’t heard of Gordon Lightfoot in 1970, but I loved the song.
It wasn’t until a few years later, when a friend’s sister sent him a cassette of ‘Summer Side of Life’, that my Lightfoot journey began.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
very nice, wordsmith Ron - I don't know that term either .. I'd like to hear a Gregorian chant version ... as I'm tinkling this, I don't know which version of the song I've got in my head ...there is that instrumental bridge on the latter version he released, which i start into, then bail ... music often imitates life, and v.v.

cheers,
JJ

https://youtu.be/Z6xLHeBkPY0
JJ,
Every time I go back for a listen to this and there have been many, new revelations seem to emerge and there's no end in sight. No stop button.
It's all in there, from Bach to Beethoven, Liszt to Lightfoot with Chopin circling the perimeter.
Whatever you're doing there please let it unfold until it comes to fruition and then bottle it.

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 10-03-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
lighthead2toe

It's interesting that the song, "The Way I Feel" came out on Gord's 1966 album titled "Lightfoot" and the following year, the album "Gordon Lightfoot The Way I Feel" was released, albeit with different versions of the song.
Guess there were some strong feelings going on about the song with Gord around that time so he did what he felt like doing.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
lighthead2toe

Anther interesting thing here friends. (Please bear with me, it's about "The Way I Feel.")

From the liner notes on the cover of the vinyl album "The Best of Gordon Lightfoot" (which includes "The Way I Feel") writes J. McGregor Jordan: (begin quote)

"I am a musician, I like to make music and be in tune and write good songs. I'm not a politician or a spokesman, just a musician."
Gordon Lightfoot said that..."and be in tune." That's the line that gets me..."and be in tune."
We spend most of our lives trying to get in tune, and it's hard. Too many people, things, and words get in the way. So, when we find us a Gordon Lightfoot, without pretense, simply and honestly sings real words that he feels, words he writes, we guard him jealously. Deny it or no, he is a spokesman, ours. If not by choice, then by merely "being in tune." Because he says what we feel, what we all think and need to hear, if only to remind us that we are not alone." (end of quote)

It made me reflect on Gord's song "In A Windowpane" and this line:
"Wanting someone to be with me in the light of this uncertain time."
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #9
lighthead2toe

Anther interesting thing here friends. (Please bear with me, it's about "The Way I Feel.")

From the liner notes on the cover of the vinyl album "The Best of Gordon Lightfoot" (which includes "The Way I Feel") writes J. McGregor Jordan: (begin quote)

"I am a musician, I like to make music and be in tune and write good songs. I'm not a politician or a spokesman, just a musician."
Gordon Lightfoot said that..."and be in tune." That's the line that gets me..."and be in tune."
We spend most of our lives trying to get in tune, and it's hard. Too many people, things, and words get in the way. So, when we find us a Gordon Lightfoot, without pretense, simply and honestly sings real words that he feels, words he writes, we guard him jealously. Deny it or no, he is a spokesman, ours. If not by choice, then by merely "being in tune." Because he says what we feel, what we all think and need to hear, if only to remind us that we are not alone." (end of quote)

It made me reflect on Gord's song "In A Windowpane" and this line:
"Wanting someone to be with me in the light of this uncertain time."