banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
dray7austin

Default Concert Souvenirs

Although a longtime Gordon Lightfoot fan, unfortunately the first time I ever saw him play was here in Austin in June, 2007. Gordon mentioned to the audience that he hadn't played Austin in: My wife heard 18 years. I heard 25 years. Does anyone know the correct answer? But finally getting to see him play here in 2007, I was looking forward to picking up a concert program, T-shirt or a tour poster. I was very surprised that there was no merchandise booths. The same goes for this year and 2009 when he returned to Austin. Does anyone have an idea when Gordon stopped selling merch at his shows? Any other singer I really wouldn't mind. Because shirts and programs are usually so overpriced. But for Gordon I do wish he had something. Now that being said, maybe he realizes that it's easier touring without all that extra responsibility. But I really wish the tour poster I saw last week for 50 Years on the Carefree HighwayTour were available at an affordable price to the public. Just really wondering other's thoughts and when the tours no longer sold merch. Oh yes! And the last time Gordon played Austin before 2007. Thank you!!!!
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 AM   #2
dray7austin

Default Re: Concert Souvenirs

It looks like before Gordon played Austin in 2007, the last time he performed here was April of 1981 at the Municipal Auditorium. This is the same venue where on November 22, 1963, more than 5,000 Austinites turn out to welcome President John F. Kennedy at a dinner on the final stop of his tour of Texas. Hundreds of plates are set out for dinner. The President never arrives.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

For as long as I remember Gordon has had a policy that he doesn't want his fans ripped off with high priced souvenirs such as shirts, programs, and the normals. I remember that Barry had me try to talk him into it a few different times, but it never worked, of course I never pushed it hard either, as I respected his ideal on it. If you want a shirt with "I love GL" or whatever, you have to have it made. There are plenty of custom make shirt shops around who will put whatever you want on them. Some people have done this at shows and Gordon never said anything bad about them that I know of.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
charlene

He's never wanted to have fans feel they need to or should buy anything when they come to a concert. They come for the live music experience, pay for it and leave happy.
A couple of years ago there was talk about possibly selling the LIVE CD at shows but in the end he said no - the logistics of the setup/stock/payments/licensing etc. are all too bothersome for him to concern himself about. And yes, there would be people doing it but he, being who he is would involve himself somehow..and he doesn't have the time when they're out on tour. So it's off to the drawing board to make our own T-shirts or buttons etc. ! Lots of great sites online that print pics/text etc. on T-shirts/buttons/banners etc...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
dray7austin

Thank you so much. It's nice to hear that an artist today still cares about their fans the way Gordon does. It's stories such as this that endears one to him even more.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
GeoMan

Gord's approach to this is refreshing. Although I like Merle Haggard, at his concerts, he plays a recorded message before the show & during the break directing concert-goers to the products in the lobby.
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Yes and over 14 years ago the superbly organised first Massey
Hall fan convention (thanks as always Jenney)
included custom made Canary Yellow Canoe tee shirts and sweat shirts
here is an image allegedly of me modelling one as PhotoShopped by a rude fellow Brit

I seem to recall that many of us were asked by members of the audience where they could buy one, and a copy was given to Gord and each band member

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
JimJ

I was at a GL concert years ago in Greensboro NC and inquired of someone there as to the T-shirts, etc. I gotta admit his reply was pretty funny: "Hey man, you looked at this crowd? Most of 'em are a little too old to look that good in a T-shirt."
I did manage to talk a record store manager into selling me, for 10 bucks, a black and white poster where Gord was wearing a sheepskin-lined vest or something. It's long gone.
But I'll bet a Massey Hall T-shirt or sweatshirt with something "Lightfoot" on it would be a seller. I remember talking with some folks from Martin guitar a couple of years back, who said limiting the Gordon Lightfoot D-18 to 61 total was a huge mistake. They could have sold a few hundred, because Gord's fan base is getting a little old and has some disposable income.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
charlene

There were also the 'A Painter Passing Through' tour and shirts of May 2001 and the 2002 shirts we never got to wear that November at Massey...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot Shrine - May-2001.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	6723   Click image for larger version

Name:	MasseyFinalBlkpc3.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	6724  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
I was at a GL concert years ago in Greensboro NC and inquired of someone there as to the T-shirts, etc. I gotta admit his reply was pretty funny: "Hey man, you looked at this crowd? Most of 'em are a little too old to look that good in a T-shirt."
haha, I wonder exactly how old one must be to be "too old" to look good in a T-shirt. I have pictures of GL in tee shirts and he looks okay!
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
jj

i've still never worn mine from the late 90's

it was too big at the time

later mine accidentally got washed and shrunk a bit

and i accidentally got un-shrunk a lot

i was hoping we'd meet somewhere in-between - too little, too late
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 8.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	6727  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
Melissa

At my very first GL concert, in 1978. they sold T-shirts. It was the
"Endless Wire" tour. I still have that shirt and would NEVER part with it!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #13
KHester

We had t-shirt,made for last years concert in Davenport, Gord and the band liked them. We had many people coming up to us and saying where did you get the t-shirts. I bet we could have sold about 100 of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kevin, Gordon & Erin.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	6737