banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
lighthead2toe

Default Forgive Me For My Unsettled Ways

Yes Folks.
Sometimes I tend to get carried away and forget just how important this website is for those of us who need to visit here from time to time and stay connected to all things Gordon Lightfoot and also to appreciate the work of those who help keep us connected. And that is something that I really could not do and my thanks go out to Char, Florian, and the folks who keep it moving along.

The new fans who post here are coming in regularly to tell their stories as we all did originally and sometimes it's not always possible to touch base with them but hopefully they will read this message and get the feeling that it's always our sincere wish to make them feel welcome.

But to give an update that Marian (from the mountains in Vancouver) and I are now living in the Byward Market area of Downtown Ottawa and I have applied to work as a busker in that area which is SOOOO close to? Guess where---Parliament Hill in Ottawa!
Our Capital city!
Wow! What a place to sing "Canadian Railroad Trilogy!"
Talk about "Something To Sing About This Land of Ours!"

Ottawa is a beautiful city and I love it here!

For any folks who ever plan to visit Ottawa please feel free to to contact me and I (we) will make you feel at home here. There will always be a song included in that special feeling.

Cheers from where the Ottawa River Flows By

Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Forgive Me For My Unsettled Ways

Glad to hear you're settled in beautiful Ottawa! I've been wanting to see Ottawa again so now I will make sure it happens RJ!
See you next Saturday at noon for the drive up to Barrie and the nuptials of our dear Kenyon and his love Johanna..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Yuri

Hope you enjoy your move to Ottawa but be sure you don't step in that stuff that politicians of all parties drop on the ground so very frequently!
Take care,
Yuri
(and thanks again for the music)
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Ron,

It was very nice to see you this time around. But be careful about throwing around those invitations, some of us have been known to take those things seriously, lol.

Regards,
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
lighthead2toe

Always welcome Bill! And it was great seeing you and family.

Just like our pub jam. We never know how we're going to work it out till we all get there.
Then everything just seems to fall into place. It has to be the music that brings it all together.

Cheers,

RJ.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Glad to hear you're settled in beautiful Ottawa! I've been wanting to see Ottawa again so now I will make sure it happens RJ!
See you next Saturday at noon for the drive up to Barrie and the nuptials of our dear Kenyon and his love Johanna..
The doors are open in Ottawa Char. Lots happening here.

And yes, the "nups" are on for Johanna and Kenyon and it will be a real fun wedding no doubt.

See you noonish and we'll be leaving early and traveling light.

RJ.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Hope you enjoy your move to Ottawa but be sure you don't step in that stuff that politicians of all parties drop on the ground so very frequently!
Take care,
Yuri
(and thanks again for the music)
It's a great place Yuri and there's so much to see and do.

We'll have to learn the art of dancing around the "Margo's Cargo." (Stompin' Tom song) Check out the lyrics on his site. Too funny!
Keep well!

RJ.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
charlene

noon it is! it's about 2 hours from here to the venue.. (401west to 400 north)
5 more sleeps!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
jj

glad you guys are settled, ron... you might wanna add some french folk tunes to your busker setlist... or test the waters with Nous Vivons Ensemble (you could change the English title to "Maybe you guys should just leave" )

to save some time on the Whitby>Barrie drive you could scoot up Brock Rd to 407 and across to 400...i think weekend rates are cheaper...in the long run a transponder pays off especially if you will be making trips to see the grandkids occasionally

if you're staying Saturday night, about 20 minutes west your pal Ron Hynes will be on Georgian Bay (Kelso Beach) performing with dozens of others...it's Owen Sound version of Mariposa, since 1975... Summerfest has seen Bruce Cockburn, Tom Paxton, Richie Havens, Tom Rush, Joni Mitchell, John Allan Cameron, Stan Rogers, etc...char's pal David Newland will be there this year

http://www.summerfolk.org/performers.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KazL...embedded#at=77

anyhow, we dipped in Georgian Bay (east) last Friday and hope to get to the tip of the Bruce before summer's end...you should busk in Tobermory one day, ron... it's so you

congrats to the Newlyweds and travel safe all, whichever route you choose
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
charlene

i checked that route/time and it's actually a longer time...just by minutes but cuz it's on town roads (to 407) not highway...
yep - David is everywhere this summer!.. he just got back from the Lunenburg Festival...

if you're heading this way on wednesday let me know dude..
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

Hey guys, thanks for all the cool info.

I'm an Ottawanian already and we're gonna' make this place Lightfoot City once we get it rollin' in that Downtown Parliament Hill place.

It's also a bicycle friendly town so I'll be getting a hitch for my 21 speed Mountain and Marian bike so I can just plunk my B45 in there and teach it to say "I'll Tag Along."

It's my "Summertime Dream."

Time for my meds.

RJ.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
jj

Quote:
i checked that route/time and it's actually a longer time...just by minutes but cuz it's on town roads (to 407) not highway.....

I only suggest 407 because of time saving but if youre ahead of schedule then stick with the ugly but free 401. Those 'route' sites have a fine print stating they font take into account construction or traffic, etc. Can't wait til 407 extension further east is done

We headed past Barrie to Muskokas then around to Tobermory where Georgian Bay swimming has been so clear and calm. If weather holds off might check the folkfest out in Owen Sound. Ron, it looks like Hynes is not on until Sunday so if youre staying over, give him a holle. Ok, Give out best to the lovely couple, it's a great day for photo lighting!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
charlene

Ron will pick us up at noon for the 2 hour ride. wedding at 3. I will attend with newly broken baby toe. lol
We're headng right out tomorrow a RJ has obligations in Ottawa..

looks like a glorious day. hope to get some pics if the tears don't get in the way..
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
jj

Quote:

looks like a glorious day...
Glorious skies lit up with lightening, aurora borealis-like, over Georgian Bay most of the day but settled down for the wedding rainbow and all. Looking fwd to the pics and to you mending. What a week you had, char! "anyway I stub my toe...."
Old 08-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
charlene

it was a grey drive that darkened the closer we got to barrie. the rain held off for the outdoor ceremony overlooking the bay for the first 10 minutes..Then the skies opened up and we all rushed inside while attendants placed the chairs under a large tent and dried them off. so we began again 30 minutes later..and bride and groom and attendants took a second walk up the wedding aisle to great applause when they got to the justice of the peace! Having met on a rainy boat cruise in ottawa, became engaged in the misty rain of the Bavarian alps it just seemed so perfect that yesterday two beautiful souls married in the rain with smiles that would have outshone the sun. It was lovely.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
timetraveler

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I were to ever work up the nerve to go. I'd probably make a total fool of myself having a good time.