banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
charlene

Default Calgary Herald-April 22,2011

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...046/story.html

Gordon Lightfoot takes his energy on the road
By Ted Shaw, PN April 22, 2011 5:33 PM •Story•Photos ( 2 )
More Images » Canadian music legend Gordon Lightfoot is gearing up for a Canadian tour.Photograph by: john kenney, montreal gazette

People have been writing off Gordon Lightfoot for years, but the singer isn’t buying any of it.

In fact, he works out regularly at a gym near his Toronto home so he can stay in shape for his concerts.

“I’ve got to go full energy,” the 72-year-old Lightfoot said, “or I just won’t do it.”

Even now, he’s fully engaged in rehearsals for an Ontario tour that starts May 19 at Windsor’s WFCU Centre. The tour will culminate at the end of the month with his annual series of concerts at Toronto’s Massey Hall.

Then it’s back to the gym to train over the summer for a more extensive fall tour of the U.S. and Canada.

“I’m not getting any younger, you know,” he said. “I have learned how much working out helps. I’m going to be 73 in November, and I want to continue to do great shows.”

The May tour will be first one without longtime lead guitarist, Terry Clements, who died of a heart attack in February. He was just 63.

But Lightfoot himself has been defying the odds since the 1970s. He survived two serious health setbacks in 2002 and 2006, and last year, even overcame a vicious hoax on Twitter that said he had died.

News outlets reported it, until Lightfoot got on the radio and said his death was greatly exaggerated.

“There was one good thing about that,” he said laughing. “I got my picture on the front page of the Toronto Sun. The headline said, ‘Dead Wrong.’”

Yet even he had to admit that close encounter with the Grim Reaper in 2002 was scary. While in hometown Orillia, Ont., for some concert dates, he suffered severe stomach pains and had to be rushed to hospital with a ruptured aorta in his abdomen. It required surgery and several followup operations. He was laid up for months.

“That one just about did me in,” Lightfoot said.

It turned out to be the longest hiatus of his career. He was out of commission for two years, and the experience convinced him to give up making records in favour of just doing concerts.

“We only do shows now, no recordings. It’s a bit of relief. I have no obligations (to record companies) now.”

Lightfoot was invited to sign another contract with Warner Brothers, his label for 14 albums between 1971 and 1998. But he declined.

“I sort of decided at the time I would have to back off,” he said. His third marriage had hit a rough patch, and he wanted to spend more time with the family.

During that period, Linus Entertainment signed a deal with Lightfoot’s publishing company, Early Morning Productions, to issue one last studio recording — Harmony. It came out in 2004 and contained music recorded before the illness.

It was then he also adopted an exercise regimen.

“The reason I do it is because I know how much it helps,” he said. “I’ve learned that the combination of the two things, the workouts and the performing, help me stay strong.”

He suffered another setback in the fall of 2006. He was touring the U.S. Midwest when he collapsed while preparing for a concert in Escanaba, Michigan. A couple of days later, it was determined he’d had a stroke.

“The neurologist told me I was lucky the stroke didn’t occur a quarter of a centimetre to the right, or I’d have lost my speech,” he said.

As it was, Lightfoot briefly lost the use of his right hand: “I led the band with body language,” he said.

The health problems actually go back as far as 1972, when Lightfoot had Bell’s palsy that caused temporary paralysis in his face.

“I bounced back from that one pretty fast, though. There was a bit of a speech problem, but I was back performing after three months.”

Lightfoot plays through his injuries and illness, like a seasoned athlete.

Lately, he has been experiencing hearing problems.

“I have this recurring thing with my inner ear,” he said. While on stage, he can hear the music produced by fellow members of the band, but he can’t hear his own guitar.

“It’s disturbing,” he said, “because I have to guess where the notes are.”

It doesn’t happen all the time, but when it does, he just fakes it: “It’s a good thing I have such a good band, so they can cover up for me.”

Lightfoot said he enjoys performing too much to ever think about giving it up.

“I love it, I really do. Much of my time now is spent concentrating on the details of the live show. I’m a stickler for detail.”

He rehearsed with Clements right up to two days before he died, he said.

“I went way back with Terry. I brought him up here from the States, back in 1971. It was sad, of course, but we could see it coming for the last year and a half.”

Almost every day when he’s home, Lightfoot puts in office hours in the morning and works out in the afternoon. Then it’s rehearsals in his home studio.

“I did 81 shows last year,” he said. “None of that would be possible if I didn’t stay on top of things and do the workouts.”

Health problems are inevitable for someone his age. But they don’t worry him.

“Whatever happens, I’d make my way back. I’d find a way to get the job done.”

Gordon Lightfoot plays Calgary Nov. 28. Tickets at Ticketmaster.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...#ixzz1KIc80WQz
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Sundreme

Default Re: Calgary Herald-April 22,2011

I was coming here to post that article.

I guess I wasn't around for a while, but I don't remember hearing about Gord having a stroke in 2006? Was it news around here or is this the first we're hearing about it?

About Terry's health issues. Gord says they could see it coming for the last year and a half and I remember a post last year from someone saying that they were worried about Terry, because is playing seemed quite off. With all that warning, I wish there was something that could have been done to save him, but I guess if it was possible, they would have.

Its really great that Gord is working at nearly 72 years of age. I've mentioned the German singer that I like Till Lindemann a few times here and its funny , he's 48 and people are already talking about how "old" he's getting and here Gord is a year older then Till's mother and still going out on the road. What an amazing man.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
charlene

Hey Erk! Yep - the mini-stroke (TIA) was news when it happened....some of the folks here were at the show that night ..scary stuff for everyone.

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ghlight=stroke
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
lighthead2toe

Wow!
What a fantastic article. Thanks for this Char. It's sorta what I needed to hear today.

That guy is truly amazing. How could you not be drawn to a man of his stature, coming out like he does, baring his soul, just laying everything out there on the line.

What an inspiration!

I couldn't be more honest by saying that for me he's been a guiding light, as I'm sure he would be for many, more so for me though in his later years, as I'm getting up there into that age group and not without my own health issues.

He seems to have that amazing capacity to know just how to pull it off and achieve the maximum amount of success, very much the same way he's done over the years in his songwriting.

These upcoming Massey Hall shows will have a strong feeling of sentimentality for me knowing that I will once again be living in Toronto.

It just occurred to me that this is "Good Friday" and as far as Fridays go, this has to be as good as it gets.

Many good blessings to all.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

thank you for posting this. it was really nice to read.
Last year a man stayed at the resort where I work and he said he belongs to the gym where GL works out. He said Gord trains really hard. Inspiring for all of us!

did I miss something with regards to Terry? I was wondering if he had had a stroke or a heart attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...046/story.html

In fact, he works out regularly at a gym near his Toronto home so he can stay in shape for his concerts.

“I’ve got to go full energy,” the 72-year-old Lightfoot said, “or I just won’t do it.”

The May tour will be first one without longtime lead guitarist, Terry Clements, who died of a heart attack in February. He was just 63.

Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Sundreme

Lisa, he had a stroke. I believe the paper made a mistake by reporting it as a heart attack.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
redhead

Quote:
It just occurred to me that this is "Good Friday" and as far as Fridays go, this has to be as good as it gets. Many good blessings to all.
Same to you, RJ, and to everyone else in "Gordland" that celebrates Easter and Passover this weekend. Have a great holiday.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote