banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 AM   #26
The Rez

Sheryl,

While Traditional Jazz morphed into Dixieland, both are, as Gord says, "toe-tappers."

One of my fondest teenhood memories is on a date w/ Becky Totten to Disneyland (Mom drove)

Dixieland at Disneyland they called it. This nite would have been around '59 or '60.

The Mark Twain came 'round the bend, bright lights and full regalia, to that singular sound of Pops coronet - Louis Armstrong. With him on the bow was Kid Ory and King Oliver, part of Pops' days with The Hot Five and The Hot Seven, w/ wife Lil.

It was the touchstone to an era never to remotely come again - when the music was bornin'.

They played Saint James Infirmary, The Saints, Miss New Orleens, and Just a Closer Walk w/ Thee. Others too, like South Rampart Street Parade, Hi-Steppin' Blues.

Pops did some scattin'. And everyone took a solo at once - that's the way Dixieland is as opposed to Trad Jazz - and it was perfect.

Even got a kiss at the door - high cotton,

The Rez

[ May 31, 2005, 03:42: Message edited by: The Rez ]
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:41 PM   #27
Borderstone

Okay,to "Reminder",when I said Gord had not charted "top 40" since 1978,I was talking about the Pop/Hot 100.
To reiterate,his last Hot 100 hit as a recording act was "Baby Step Back" (#50 in May of '82).

Nothing from "Salute" or "EOM" made the Hot 100.
I do recall "Anything For Love" making the C & W chart (which I still feel is an odd place for it to have charted.)

Brink,thanks for the compliment. I've known these stats. for so long,I can pretty much do them from my mind. There's a thread here somewhere in which I quoted these same facts,most likely in 2003.

Ah,Rez...if you re-read my last message,I stated that only "other" recording artists had some luck with GL's songs on the chart. I also stated that I checked back as far as 1965,so "...Read my Mind" is his first solo chart hit here ever. He had none before on his own. Later!

P.S.-I have a very good copy of Acker Bilk's "Stranger On The Shore" LP. I love that song. (Andy Williams did a vocal version,I wonder what that's like?) !!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #28
<Reminder>

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
Okay,to "Reminder",when I said Gord had not charted "top 40" since 1978,I was talking about the Pop/Hot 100.
To reiterate,his last Hot 100 hit as a recording act was "Baby Step Back" (#50 in May of '82).

Fair enough. You win.

RMD
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #29
<Reminder>

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:

Fair enough. You win.

RMD
Old 05-31-2005, 09:10 PM   #30
The Rez

Sorry Borderstone, I've never been guilty of understand what I read. You answered my question even before I asked it - are you psychotic? (I am hip to large words.)

I'm trying to recall this moment where it was I first even heard Gord's music by him. Just seems like he was always there - even here in Balboa.

The Rez
Old 06-01-2005, 01:03 AM   #31
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Rez -- I think you mean "psychic" !!!! Not psychotic! LOL!

Also, YES, that's where I first got my love of Dixieland music -- at Disneyland!!! Listening to it in the Carnation Plaza with the band playing.... ahhh, what memories..!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:55 AM   #32
The Rez

No, Sheryl,

I know all the large words like "ambidexterous" means you can breath underwater at the same time as frogs; "defibrillator" is a lie detector; and then are are the Three "H"s - Hungry, Horney, and Tired.

All of which I am,

The Rez

. . . keep your dreams as clean as a "hypocondriac," w/ syringe
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #33
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Ummn Rez... Being familiar with this phrase, I think 'Tired' is supposed to be 'Happy"... 3rd H.
Kimberly
Old 06-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #34
The Rez

Not to a true musician.

Besides, three "H"s that actually countained three "H" words, wouldn't pass the Groucho test.

The Rez

. . . Heep-em-Wep-mo: a word I've never been able say or spell, but it my life long favorite descriptive, noun, et. al. Notice how it roles off the tongue (and follows the meatball On top of Spaghetti)

Ah, Groucho . . . ah, Bullwinkle . . . ah, Rumblers . . .
Old 06-02-2005, 07:31 PM   #35
Borderstone

"NO I"M NOT PSYCHOTIC!!! :D " Just playin'!

I just have a god head for info. & facts.

Sometimes,I'll admit,it does give me a bit of a headache. I have too many books and songs and TV shows & movies in my brain! [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D

Help!!! (Ha,ha,ha.)