banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
Paul vG

I am looking for the lyrics for a song that starts "I've got beggars on my trail, a lean and a ragged rail..." I thought that it was written & sung by Gordon Lightfoot, but I haven't found it in any collections. Any ideas? Thanks,

Paul, New Mexico
Old 11-02-2004, 01:22 AM   #2
Paul vG

I am looking for the lyrics for a song that starts "I've got beggars on my trail, a lean and a ragged rail..." I thought that it was written & sung by Gordon Lightfoot, but I haven't found it in any collections. Any ideas? Thanks,

Paul, New Mexico
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 AM   #3
djb

It doesn't ring a GL bell for me. I suppose it could be very early GL (if he did it), or maybe Johnny Cash? Or Willie Nelson?

I tried a Google and Dogpile lyric search and came up empty. Where did you hear/get the lyrics from?

Sorry and good luck.

-- David
Old 11-02-2004, 02:51 AM   #4
djb

It doesn't ring a GL bell for me. I suppose it could be very early GL (if he did it), or maybe Johnny Cash? Or Willie Nelson?

I tried a Google and Dogpile lyric search and came up empty. Where did you hear/get the lyrics from?

Sorry and good luck.

-- David
Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #5
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

nope, can't help here, not i anyhow..

but that'd fit nicely into 'Where I'm Bound'
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
jj

nope, can't help here, not i anyhow..

but that'd fit nicely into 'Where I'm Bound'
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #7
LSH

heh. you're right jj, it would! good old Tom Paxton song...too bad they aren't part of the lyrics...
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Tyler

I have searched all over and can't find them anywhere. Are you sure of the lyrics? Do you remember any others?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #9
brink

I have searched all over and can't find them anywhere. Are you sure of the lyrics? Do you remember any others?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #10
Paul vG

I could be wrong - it's happened before, but I really am sure its GL. I remember hearing it on the radio in the mid-70's. Here is all I can remember: I got beggars on my trail; a lean and ragged rail, and hold me If I cry some more. And if I'm thinking cold; I'll find that motherlode, in the hopes that I'll be back again. You may have known me when I was blessed; when I'd give you something and move on with the rest. Set your face in the corner leave your keys by the door, & I will leave in jubilation, and be coming back for more.

That's about all, I have. Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
Paul vG

I could be wrong - it's happened before, but I really am sure its GL. I remember hearing it on the radio in the mid-70's. Here is all I can remember: I got beggars on my trail; a lean and ragged rail, and hold me If I cry some more. And if I'm thinking cold; I'll find that motherlode, in the hopes that I'll be back again. You may have known me when I was blessed; when I'd give you something and move on with the rest. Set your face in the corner leave your keys by the door, & I will leave in jubilation, and be coming back for more.

That's about all, I have. Thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 07:11 AM   #12
charlene

definately not a Lightfoot song...I'll have a look- i've put all the lyrics in google several different ways - nothing comes up....
anyone else??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:11 AM   #13
charlene

definately not a Lightfoot song...I'll have a look- i've put all the lyrics in google several different ways - nothing comes up....
anyone else??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Cubfan64

Certainly not a Lightfoot song that was ever recorded, and if it was on the radio I'd assume it must have been recorded by someone. I find no evidence of it, either, and would further suggest that it doesn't really have the look of something GL would write. Similar theme to some of his songs, but not quite his style.

If the song exists, and I'm sure it does, I'm amazed we can't find any evidence of it in all the Google/Yahoo searches.

Dan

playin' up in Michigan
Cubfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #15
The Intended

Certainly not a Lightfoot song that was ever recorded, and if it was on the radio I'd assume it must have been recorded by someone. I find no evidence of it, either, and would further suggest that it doesn't really have the look of something GL would write. Similar theme to some of his songs, but not quite his style.

If the song exists, and I'm sure it does, I'm amazed we can't find any evidence of it in all the Google/Yahoo searches.

Dan

playin' up in Michigan
The Intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #16
Paul vG

Dad gummit. I would have sworn... Well, I guess it's a more arcane song than I thought. I'll see if I can find an aged & wizened DJ that might remember the song & who wrote it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #17
Paul vG

Dad gummit. I would have sworn... Well, I guess it's a more arcane song than I thought. I'll see if I can find an aged & wizened DJ that might remember the song & who wrote it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #18
SomewhereupinMichigan

Well, I'm certainly an "aged" 70s DJ and, reasonably, wizened (so long as you don't ask my wife's opinion), but I'll be durned Paul, if I can recognize these lyrics! Since you felt it was a GL tune I'm assuming it must have been performed by someone who sounded much like Gord. Do you recall the radio format? If it was anything other than country it should be ringing a bell with me, but if so it's a frequency I can't pick up.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #19
chillywilsa

Almost sounds like a Jerry Jeff Walker tune...

------------------
chillywilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #20
Paul vG

I appreciate everyone's interest in this. It's been bugging me for some time now. First, whoever it was that I heard did at least sound something like Gordon Lightfoot. It is a folksong played with acoustic guitar. I heard it on a university radio station, so it could have been a tape of a concert, but I think more likely a published vinyl. I think I could play the first verse into a .wav file if there is some way to post it. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #21
Paul vG

I appreciate everyone's interest in this. It's been bugging me for some time now. First, whoever it was that I heard did at least sound something like Gordon Lightfoot. It is a folksong played with acoustic guitar. I heard it on a university radio station, so it could have been a tape of a concert, but I think more likely a published vinyl. I think I could play the first verse into a .wav file if there is some way to post it. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:27 AM   #22
Auburn Annie

If it was a university station, it might have been local talent. There are a LOT of people who put out their own material, and a university station is one of the few places (other than internet streaming) where you can sometimes get airplay for original material out of the mainstream.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:27 AM   #23
Auburn Annie

If it was a university station, it might have been local talent. There are a LOT of people who put out their own material, and a university station is one of the few places (other than internet streaming) where you can sometimes get airplay for original material out of the mainstream.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #24
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

yeah, there are a substantial % of published/performed tunes out there with lyrics not online

similarily, there are a substantial % of highly knowledgable GL fans who are not online

these lyrics never struck a GL chord with me
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #25
jj

yeah, there are a substantial % of published/performed tunes out there with lyrics not online

similarily, there are a substantial % of highly knowledgable GL fans who are not online

these lyrics never struck a GL chord with me
jj is offline   Reply With Quote