banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
LSH

My cable has been out most of the evening, and when it finally came on, the tv popped onto E news or some such, and they were talking about John Ritter. Apparently, he died of AAA (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm), the same ailment that afflicted Gord.
The doctors at the hospital are accused of misdiagnosing him. Let's hear for McMasters and the wonderful medical staff there that saved our guy. Wish John had had that kind of care.
just a little blurb I felt the need to share.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
brink

I saw the same thing, John's wasn't in the abdomen though his was right behind the heart If I remember correctly. He complained of nausea and chest pains, classic heart attack symptoms. His EKG probably showed signs of a heart attack also. I don't know how this negligence suit will go, but if it was the way it was reported they didn't have time to do anything else except try to rule out a heart attack.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
LSH

I only caught part of it, but boy. I felt so bad for his family when he passed. I really like his acting. Thanks for the info brink.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:06 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

When a triple-A blows, you can be open on the operating room table and still not make it. Depends on the aneurysm. And the initial symptoms can mimic everything from a heart attack to a slipped disk (acute low back pain.) That's what happened to my uncle - he suddenly complained of a sharp pain in his lower back, then collapsed on the factory floor. He was grey when they wheeled him past us from the ER to the OR; my aunt insisted on surgery but another doctor told us that even if my uncle survived the surgery he was likely brain dead.

The only other point to mention is that a tendency to develop AAA is familial, so 40+ year-old siblings or offspring should be checked via ultrasound. Better safe than sorry.

And one more thing - AAA or not, if something doesn't feel right with your body, don't put off checking it out. Better to feel a little foolish if there's nothing really wrong than end up in CCU/ICU - or worse. Your body talks to you; listen up.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
djb

Fabulous advice, but many folks have very active lives (there's a touch of irony), so when it comes time to listen to those aches and pains, they just get ignored.

Sad but true, and I am one of the guilty ones. I just go and go and go...
Old 09-11-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

And an huge number of people don't have health insurance these days When you have to choose between eating and paying the rent or going to the Dr because you don't feel quite right . . . it's a hard choice to make.

quote:Originally posted by djb:
Fabulous advice, but many folks have very active lives (there's a touch of irony), so when it comes time to listen to those aches and pains, they just get ignored.

Sad but true, and I am one of the guilty ones. I just go and go and go...

Old 09-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Doug Letcher

I remember being sick with a cold in bed for a few days a while back, waking up one morning only to learn that both John Ritter and Johny Cash were dead. Later that day I learned that GL may have had a down turn in his health. A sad day, and it really made me think about life.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 06:36 PM   #8
Borderstone

I meant to post this Tuesday but I forgot. I stayed up late Monday night/Tue. Morning and about 4am I was about to finally turn in (because I was finally sleepy)when on Channel 10 (FOX here in Phx.)was Hawaii 5-0 and the episode with John Ritter as the top hat wearing hippie! I believe only his 2nd TV job?

It was the first time since his passing ihad seen the episode,which I last saw about 4 years ago or so. I wasn't going to watch all of it but I just got caught up in it. His role was both attention grabbing and amusing.
Amusing in watching him praise Allah for the suitcase of money he had stolen from other guest star Vic Morrow,who had tried to get "touchy" with his character Ryan. The episode is called "Two Doves and Mr. Heron" (or vice versra).
It's always so strange when you watch a re-run of a show in which the stars are no longer here. They seem to be on earth at that moment,as real and alive as they were then, and then they're gone all over again.

It's been a year & 18 days but I still can't really laugh at 3's Company yet,I guess knowing he's gone makes it difficult. Although I'm sure he'd wantpeople who loved the show to continue to enjoy it. Someday.

Been me,later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
Borderstone

A little correction:the above episode was his second appearance on the show in 1971,his first was in Oct. 1968. That 1st appearence was his first on TV at all.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote