banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
alison norris

One Lightfoot song I have never seen or heard on CD is his 1968 UA single Bitter Green. On the surface, the 45 and album versions sound the same, but the most obvious difference is the strings on the single. Actually, it sounds like the 45 and album versions were separate recordings.
I have the original 45, but it's pretty rough in a couple of places. Has anyone ever come across the 45 version in any format, in decent shape? I have a feeling we may be waiting a while before we see the single of Bitter Green on CD. Look how long it took to get his entire catalogue on
a format that's now well in maturity--something like 24 years.
alison norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:22 PM   #2
jcr102

One Lightfoot song I have never seen or heard on CD is his 1968 UA single Bitter Green. On the surface, the 45 and album versions sound the same, but the most obvious difference is the strings on the single. Actually, it sounds like the 45 and album versions were separate recordings.
I have the original 45, but it's pretty rough in a couple of places. Has anyone ever come across the 45 version in any format, in decent shape? I have a feeling we may be waiting a while before we see the single of Bitter Green on CD. Look how long it took to get his entire catalogue on
a format that's now well in maturity--something like 24 years.
jcr102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #3
Borderstone

Hi Jcr! Well I never knew there was a Bitter Green single at all. Let alone a different version. If I find one I'll let you know.
It reminds me of early this year when I found a U.S. "The Way I Feel" D.J. promo single from 1966! I'm sure there's a copy out there somewhere,just keep checking oldies stores.

As for CD's,I know for a fact they came out in 1982 but most people didn't notice because they still thought of vinyl as the main source of recording. Cassettes were only about 4 or 5 years old at the time and singles on cassette were just about to make their debut also.

I didn't buy my 1st CD until 2000,when I finally got a stereo with a player. Then,of course,I've always been a little behind when it comes to technology. I just got a home PC this year!

Been me. Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
chillywilsa

You may find the "Bitter Green" 45 on Gemm.com ; I found one from Italy with a nice Picture Sleeve! Also have the U.S. yellow label U.A. promo release (both have "Does Your Mother Know" on B-side.
chillywilsa is offline   Reply With Quote