banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #51
Auburn Annie

Exactly what you think it is, lol.

Granny worked for the Board of Elections for many years, and one time had my grandfather, dressed in a girdle, parading up and down State Street with a placard exhorting locals to register to vote. He had a fabulous (very impish) sense of humor. Probably collected on a few bets that he wouldn't do it, too. They were both card-playing fiends. Sunday night was poker night at our house LONG before it became fashionable.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #52
Auburn Annie

Exactly what you think it is, lol.

Granny worked for the Board of Elections for many years, and one time had my grandfather, dressed in a girdle, parading up and down State Street with a placard exhorting locals to register to vote. He had a fabulous (very impish) sense of humor. Probably collected on a few bets that he wouldn't do it, too. They were both card-playing fiends. Sunday night was poker night at our house LONG before it became fashionable.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #53
charlene

oh yeah - the chamber pots...ew!
we had them in the cabin for the grandkids who were afraid to head out to the back 40 and the two seater in the woods..
before my grandmother married my grandfather her family owned a big old hotel in Huntsville, Ontario and she was a chambermaid as a young girl....and chamber pots were part and parcel of the household cleaning duties...thank gawd for Mr. Crapper and his invention!

True love and a Chamber Pot....whoda thunk it!?
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #54
charlene

oh yeah - the chamber pots...ew!
we had them in the cabin for the grandkids who were afraid to head out to the back 40 and the two seater in the woods..
before my grandmother married my grandfather her family owned a big old hotel in Huntsville, Ontario and she was a chambermaid as a young girl....and chamber pots were part and parcel of the household cleaning duties...thank gawd for Mr. Crapper and his invention!

True love and a Chamber Pot....whoda thunk it!?
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #55
Auburn Annie

I'm old enough to remember when we had a two-seater at their summer place on Cayuga Lake. Many hurrahs when indoor plumbing was installed.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM   #56
Auburn Annie

I'm old enough to remember when we had a two-seater at their summer place on Cayuga Lake. Many hurrahs when indoor plumbing was installed.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:40 AM   #57
SilverHeels

Tom, another good one. Love the black and white photos - really evocative of that time. Very atmosheric. 5 red ones!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 AM   #58
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

My father and uncle, back when they were kids, moved the two seater back a couple of feet, hid in the bushes, and watched their drunken uncle fall into the hole. He went in to his hips before he managed to grab the door frame and stop his descent. The kids laughed hysterically.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #59
Peter Bro10

Thanks Char and Annie... this is great stuff! I needed a good chuckle!! This is Edification according to John F lol.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #60
Alan

For the record, 7 of the images in the "Mother of a Miners Child" were coloured to start out..they were " adjusted " to fit with the theme.
The first to answer this question gets to request the next GL video... how did I interpret the word "child" as in "Mother of a miner's child"? :D

Quite a memory vein was opened by this video...funny how we can "mine" our mind, sort of, as in haul out the memories...weak I know...I'll stick to what I know I can do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #61
phishfearme

tj - not sure what you're asking - the child is the son of the miner singing the song - i think but i'm sure that's not what you're after. BUT that won't stop me from making and wishing for another request. your wonderful GL library of videos is missing the one song that probably introduced 95% of us to him - if you could read my mind.

thanks for the great work.

phish
phishfearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:01 PM   #62
musky_man

Gahoendoe,,

Great stuff - a pleasure to stop by and see what's new.

Best to you and all here.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:26 AM   #63
Alan

phishfearme: To clarify my challenge...to anyone who can identify how I presented the "Child" in the video, you will "win" a GL Stonewall-video of your choice...it is a trick question indeed. As in many of Gord's lyrics I think they can be interpreted on many levels.

If You Could Read My Mind has now been added to the list of videos to produce after the Massey Hall concert week ion November. Thank you for the request and good luck on solving the " Child" image riddle.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM   #64
musky_man

Gahoendoe,

"The First Time I Ever Saw Her Face" would make a great addition to an already great list ... thanks again.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #65
SilverHeels

how about 'A passing ship' ?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #66
Mist O' The Morn'

Gahoendoe, thank you very much for the site and the catalog listing of videos. What an impressive, wonderful, and beautiful collection of music videos; I’m mesmerized by the splendor of the visualizations, by the syncopation, by the way the music is entwined with the lyrics. Your instinct is right on because your perspectives and characterizations rendered through the images are most striking. Even though the interpretations are excellent, I have some personal thoughts and interpretations of lyric that differ with some of the tunes, but this is what good poetry and storytelling is suppose to do, lend itself, at times, to personal translations. Again, simply superb and so enjoyable. Commendations to you and to all involved in these works of art, these gems which are creative, insightful, and a tremendous way to capture Lightfoot’s music. These should make him proud. I, too, began to learn from him at coffee houses and the like for almost 40 years now. I echo your sentiments, “Thank you Gordon Lightfoot ... you have no idea of all the gifts you have given to others... like us ... throughout your life.”
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #67
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

Gahoendoe, thank you very much for the site and the catalog listing of videos. What an impressive, wonderful, and beautiful collection of music videos; I’m mesmerized by the splendor of the visualizations, by the syncopation, by the way the music is entwined with the lyrics. Your instinct is right on because your perspectives and characterizations rendered through the images are most striking. Even though the interpretations are excellent, I have some personal thoughts and interpretations of lyric that differ with some of the tunes, but this is what good poetry and storytelling is suppose to do, lend itself, at times, to personal translations. Again, simply superb and so enjoyable. Commendations to you and to all involved in these works of art, these gems which are creative, insightful, and a tremendous way to capture Lightfoot’s music. These should make him proud. I, too, began to learn from him at coffee houses and the like for almost 40 years now. I echo your sentiments, “Thank you Gordon Lightfoot ... you have no idea of all the gifts you have given to others... like us ... throughout your life.”
Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #68
Mist O' The Morn'

Gahoendoe, since you implied, some future video considerations I could see are: “Lazy Mornin’” or “That Same Old Obsession” from Old Dan’s Records, “Ode to Big Blue” from Don Quixote would be interesting, “I’m Not Supposed to Care” (Summertime Dream) and “Tattoo” (Salute) have wonderful chord changes that could work with the right visualization, “If Children Had Wings” from Endless Wire offers some fascinating possibilities. “Ribbon of Darkness” I just like, and “Bitter Green”, well this story could be the basis for a movie. Thank you for letting me indulge myself for a bit. Auburn Annie is right, with over 200 songs, you could be at this for years!
Mist O' The Morn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #69
walls

Send a message via MSN to walls

Gahoendoe, since you implied, some future video considerations I could see are: “Lazy Mornin’” or “That Same Old Obsession” from Old Dan’s Records, “Ode to Big Blue” from Don Quixote would be interesting, “I’m Not Supposed to Care” (Summertime Dream) and “Tattoo” (Salute) have wonderful chord changes that could work with the right visualization, “If Children Had Wings” from Endless Wire offers some fascinating possibilities. “Ribbon of Darkness” I just like, and “Bitter Green”, well this story could be the basis for a movie. Thank you for letting me indulge myself for a bit. Auburn Annie is right, with over 200 songs, you could be at this for years!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 AM   #70
brink-

Wonderfully written Walls. You have written what many of us were thinking.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 AM   #71
SilverHeels

ditto!
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #72
brink-

I was just thinking of all the new videos we will see after Massey.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #73
Melody

Hallo everybody,i live in Belgium and still waiting when Mr Lightfoot can come to Europe,it is for years now.Canada is far to go for me,but maybe....
Old 11-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #74
julleken

Hallo everybody,i live in Belgium and still waiting when Mr Lightfoot can come to Europe,it is for years now.Canada is far to go for me,but maybe....
julleken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #75
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by julleken:
Canada is far to go for me,but maybe....
.... you were saying??...
HI Julleken
I am tempted mightily to say that you posted a day early:Oh go on I'll say it anyway
You know "It's Tuesday so this must be Belgium"!
I do not personally recall hearing of a belgian fan here before:
we certainly have french German,Italian and British posters here and of course Florian whose wonderful site this is is himself from
Vienna Austria. You are quite right it is a very long time since Gord played in Europe,1981 I believe, but you are wrong Canada is not too far just rather expensive but far more accessible to you than to the handful of avid fans from Australia,
But if you are a keen fan the effort and expense of getting over to Toronto is well worth it and as it appears most unlikely that Gord will ever venture over the Atlantic again it will most likely be the only way you are going to be able to see this genius in action.
It is not too late to plan a visit for the upcoming 4 Massey Hall concerts on November 16 to 19, and I believe there may well be some good spare tickets for sale if you ask here There is also the thought that opportunities to see Lightfoot concerts in the future might get more limited although we all most fervently hope that there will be another Massey season in, probably, May 2008.
You are assured of a warm welcome Give it some very deep thought and if you have any questions do ask
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote