banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2004, 01:58 AM   #826
pirateNC

I can't pick one so I'll pick three

3 Sorry but Edmund Fitzgerald hit home since I grew up on one of the Great Lakes

2 If You Could Read My Mind, the straightforwardness of the story was aces.

1. Early Morning Rain..Great Guitar, great lyrics and hell Elvis covered it.
pirateNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:25 AM   #827
Don Quixote

I don't kmow that I have any one favourite song. For me, when each new Gord album came out, several songs seemed to fit the life situation I was in in that time. There are many that always stand out in my mind, but if I return to the album they cam from, I find more that have special meaning. He is a painter - a painter of life. So, when I hear HARMONY, it evokes new meanings and associations.
Great topic, just too difficult for me. The man is, indeed, an artist. The tapestry he paints seems to be my soul...
Sean
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 04:25 AM   #828
searam

I don't kmow that I have any one favourite song. For me, when each new Gord album came out, several songs seemed to fit the life situation I was in in that time. There are many that always stand out in my mind, but if I return to the album they cam from, I find more that have special meaning. He is a painter - a painter of life. So, when I hear HARMONY, it evokes new meanings and associations.
Great topic, just too difficult for me. The man is, indeed, an artist. The tapestry he paints seems to be my soul...
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #829
Alison

Well I would have to say that my favoritw Lightfoot song is Wreck Of The Edmund Fitsgerald. Ever since the first time I heard that song i was hit hard bye the powerful words. The thought of all those men dieing in a storm when they were only about 10 miles away from shore!!
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #830
the_legendaryskater999

Well I would have to say that my favoritw Lightfoot song is Wreck Of The Edmund Fitsgerald. Ever since the first time I heard that song i was hit hard bye the powerful words. The thought of all those men dieing in a storm when they were only about 10 miles away from shore!!
the_legendaryskater999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #831
Rona

Wild Strawberries from the Waiting for You
release. To me it captures everything about
Gord (and myself) at that point in his life.
A little humor, a nice tune and just a great
feel. WFY is often overlooked, but in my opinion
is the best of the "modern" Gord era!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:42 PM   #832
Paul H

Wild Strawberries from the Waiting for You
release. To me it captures everything about
Gord (and myself) at that point in his life.
A little humor, a nice tune and just a great
feel. WFY is often overlooked, but in my opinion
is the best of the "modern" Gord era!
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #833
Cloaca

Hi all,

This is a cool forum. My favorite Gord song (and among all of my favorite songs by everyone) is "All The Lovely Ladies".

The song continues to haunt me from the first time I heard it 'till even just now.

I can't put my finger on it, the words just somehow speak deep. This is true even though when I try to think about why I can relate to it, I can't rationalize it at all.

Blessings,
Eric
Old 06-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #834
Cloaca

Hi all,

This is a cool forum. My favorite Gord song (and among all of my favorite songs by everyone) is "All The Lovely Ladies".

The song continues to haunt me from the first time I heard it 'till even just now.

I can't put my finger on it, the words just somehow speak deep. This is true even though when I try to think about why I can relate to it, I can't rationalize it at all.

Blessings,
Eric
Old 06-30-2004, 01:49 AM   #835
Borderstone

That's another of my favorites too! "All The Lovely Ladies" is a great example of songwriting eloquence! It's romantic yet somehow spiritual and that's a tough thing to pull off in a song. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:53 AM   #836
Borderstone

Oh,I almost forgot! My new favorite find is,"My Love For You" from the Harry Tracy movie. Beautiful piano and Gord at his near accapella best. The song gives me the goose bumps. Helps to be in love too! Bye now.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 AM   #837
Baz

Send a message via ICQ to Baz

Without a single doubt in my mind I pick 'If You Could Read My Mind'. That man's voice puts me and also my husband in the same mood we felt over thirty years ago. That's the blushing one right? Just as I am now. From North Dakota,night ay.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:50 AM   #838
whirligirl

Without a single doubt in my mind I pick 'If You Could Read My Mind'. That man's voice puts me and also my husband in the same mood we felt over thirty years ago. That's the blushing one right? Just as I am now. From North Dakota,night ay.
whirligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #839
jimmy tillitt

my favorite gordon lightfoot song is, the wreck of the edmund fitsgerald. i love storys about sunkin ships, and nautical songs. plus it tells a great story of true life. jimmt

Old 06-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #840
jimmy tillitt

my favorite gordon lightfoot song is, the wreck of the edmund fitsgerald. i love storys about sunkin ships, and nautical songs. plus it tells a great story of true life. jimmt

Old 06-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #841
kie miskelly

If I had to pick one right now it would be I'm Not Supposed To Care off Summertime Dream, then if you asked me in five minutes it would probably be Dreamland off Sundown, but if you waited 10 minutes it would definitely be Shellfish off the new album... then again...
Old 06-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #842
kie miskelly

If I had to pick one right now it would be I'm Not Supposed To Care off Summertime Dream, then if you asked me in five minutes it would probably be Dreamland off Sundown, but if you waited 10 minutes it would definitely be Shellfish off the new album... then again...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #843
kie miskelly

OKAY you probably think some fan him: Dreamland is off Endless Wire not Sundown.. I know that honestly...
Old 07-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #844
kie miskelly

OKAY you probably think some fan him: Dreamland is off Endless Wire not Sundown.. I know that honestly...
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 PM   #845
Borderstone

I know it too but hey,it's an easy mistake to make! They're so alike it's spooky! "If Children Had Wings" from EW by the Way!

------------------
Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #846
peterpeter

Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Why? Because no other song in the world will give me goosebumps and send a shiver down my spine like this one does. Just the opening electric guitar notes is enough to do it. As a truck driver, I often travel Hwy 17 along the north shore of Lake Superior ( not too far from where she went down ). With Lightfoots imagery I can almost see the boat floundering and going down in a November storm.
peterpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #847
RickC

Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald
Why? Because no other song in the world will give me goosebumps and send a shiver down my spine like this one does. Just the opening electric guitar notes is enough to do it. As a truck driver, I often travel Hwy 17 along the north shore of Lake Superior ( not too far from where she went down ). With Lightfoots imagery I can almost see the boat floundering and going down in a November storm.
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #848
James

I would have to say "If You Could Read My Mind. Not because it was necessarily his best song ever, but because it was the first song I ever heard him sing and that started my life long love affair with his music that has continued since 1970.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #849
James

I would have to say "If You Could Read My Mind. Not because it was necessarily his best song ever, but because it was the first song I ever heard him sing and that started my life long love affair with his music that has continued since 1970.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:14 PM   #850
Andy

The mental imagry evoked by The Canadian Railroad Trilogy are some of the most powerful I have ever experienced.

I had not heard any Gordon Lightfoot songs for many years until a few weeks ago. I left Canada nearly 20 years ago and now live in London England, and hearing this song gave me the worst case of homesickness I've had since I left!