banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
DMD3

I don't know the 1st thing about playing a guitar, but of all GL songs, which do you think are easy to play and which are hard to play and which ones come in about medium?
I would think "Make Way For The Lady" would be easy since it's slow and "The Pony Man" and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" are hard because they are faster. Speed is the only thing I go by.
So, for whatever reason, which GL songs are easiest and hardest to play for all you pro guitar players out there?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
ambrose

dmd3,

actually, probably the opposite. it's not the speed, it's the chord progression.

CRT is very simple to play as well as Pony Man.MWFTL is a bit more jazzy/bluzey and a bit more difficult.

what is difficult is getting the nuances that GL puts into his melodies and rythyms.

GL has a great gift at what is known as 'prosody'. the ability to accent chords in a profound manner. similiar to inflection of speech.

i don't recall any musician able to build chord progressions as well as GL except perhaps paul mccartney. i liken GL to the Mozart of Folk Music!

ambrose

ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Borderstone

Iwould imagine that "Beautiful" would be the easiest or "Rainy Day People". I think most of the ballads (slow songs) would most likely be easy to learn. The mid-tempo songs would take a little longer. "The Auctioneer" would probobly drive a man insane!!!!!! Ah,well..catch ya on the flipside of Sundown!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #4
joveski

depends on whether they're strummed or fingerpicked.

the chords to the auctioneer are easy. CRT is aso easy. i'm not good at fingr picking so those songs are harder for me to play but most of gordon's songs have simple chord progressions - that's what makes them good.

The hardest stuff seems to be on East of Midnight. lotsa little extra bass notes thrown in around that album
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
Toano-Tide

Good question.

There are usually two guitar parts in Gord's songs, so that complicates playing a little.

But I find "Bitter Green" challenging
"Wherefore and Why" is as easy as a Gord song gets.
Toano-Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:18 AM   #6
Iron

I am not pro by any stretch,but if your lookin for one on the easy strummin and a well known to any gordon fan...Early morning rain is pretty basic...D,A,G chords pretty much take you right through... there are many similary basic ..Baby step back,Fading away,Christian Island,Alberta Bound,...to name a few Medium side,kinda depends on what you want to do...as far as getting in some basic lead parts as some kinda gotta have...Sundown,The WRECK ,Sea of tranquility...getting into some drone chords though still fairly easy but getting a little tough for one guitar...and for some like the Wreck and CRT,you got to use a 12 string,you can do them on a 6, but they won't "Light"up......... Difficult ...again that depends on what you want to do..solo,with 2nd guitar,Fingerpicking(a lot of Gordons work is Travis style[more Gordon/Travis style] and uses drop D tuning.For me,these are the most difficult when I try to sing while playing....strumming and singing I have no problem...picking and singing for me I have to work at.....Thats what makes it fun.... Brian J. (Iron)
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
DMD3

I've bin wondering all summer(for no particular reason), but what is the difficulty level in "Somewhere USA" and "High And Dry"? Somewhere USA sounds like it'd be pretty hard but I can't tell, and I really don't know what to think about High And Dry.
One more thing. What is THE HARDEST song to play on a guitar?
Old 07-18-2003, 04:47 AM   #8
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
I've bin wondering all summer(for no particular reason), but what is the difficulty level in "Somewhere USA" and "High And Dry"? Somewhere USA sounds like it'd be pretty hard but I can't tell, and I really don't know what to think about High And Dry.
One more thing. What is THE HARDEST song to play on a guitar?

Somewhere USA and High And Dry are two of the easier ones to play, because there aren't a lot of chords to learn. One of the hardest to me is The Way I Feel, because it has odd chord variations, chords you don't see very often.
If you're a fingerpicker, many of his songs, like If You Could Read My Mind, Sit Down Young Stranger, Steel Rail Blues, Song For A Winter's Night, and hundreds of others, can be difficult until you've learned his style of picking. He Travis picks a lot, and these would be harder for you to learn. Believe it or not, playing rhythm guitar to Wreck, Canadian Railroad Trilogy might actually be easier for you to learn (that is, if you are thinking about learning them), because they are strummed instead of fingerpicked. Wreck may be the easiest of the two.
One of the hardest songs for me to play is Sundown. He uses what we call 'Gord Chords'. You have to lay your index finger flat across three strings while leaving the other strings open, so they'll make that ringing sound. It's actually painful when you first start doing it.
Are you thinking about learning to play guitar, or do you already play?

Cathy

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:34 AM   #9
DMD3

One day I might learn to play, but I'm not thinking about it right now.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #10
Cathy

One day I might learn to play, but I'm not thinking about it right now.

Well, don't put it off for too long if you're serious about learning. You're at a good age right now to take it up. It won't get easier as you get older, and life won't get easier, either. You'll be just as busy when you're older as you are now, maybe even more so. You seem to be a very intelligent guy, and you have great taste in music! Learning to play probably wouldn't be all that difficult to you.
So, if you really want to learn, get yourself a nice, low end guitar, like a Yamaha or Seagull, or better yet, look for a good used guitar. It's not all that hard to find a decent guitar in the $125 range. Then get on a computer, go to google and search guitar lessons. If you want to learn Lightfoot tunes, ask for help here or on alt.music.lightfoot (you can also get there by going to google groups and typing in alt.music.lightfoot). Both this group and the newsgroup have a bunch of good guitar players, and there is nothing on this earth that compares to getting together and jamming with Lightheads. We all know the same tunes!

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Old 07-18-2003, 07:25 PM   #11
Mr. Layfield

I believe The Auctioneer is the hardest to play.

(You really should learn to play the guitar if you are interested)
Old 07-19-2003, 01:25 AM   #12
joveski

the auctioneer is easy to play and easy to sing. however, try to combine the two in that song and then you run into problems!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
endlesswire78

play the guitar its probably one of the reasons i live for and playing gord's songs is something you'll really enjoy, i probably know most of em and some of terry's and red's lead parts, gord is truly like no other so i say play right along
Old 11-25-2003, 01:24 PM   #14
DMD3

I've tried to teach myself but I barely know how to hold it much less play it.

Is the beginning of 'I'm Not Sayin' hard to play because I THINK that would be fun to play.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #15
seahawk11

Great topic! Steel Rail Blues is the first song I ever learned to play and sing all the way through (including the riff), probably a dozen years ago. Like most everyone I started by using a pick, but about 2 years ago went totally with fingerpicking. If a song calls for a regular 'picking' sound my index fingernail is the pick. It's very convenient, until you've played so much and the fingernail is paper thin. I have about a dozen songs burned into my memory (I know, should be more after all these years), including IYCRRM, Triangle, Auctioneer, and Christian Island. Had Romance down a few months ago, but I have to revisit it; I keep forgetting the words! Triangle is my favorite song and is very easy to learn once you get into that 1 2 3, 1 2 3 groove, but there are lots of words to remember. Incidentally, Alberta Bound is the same chord and 'verbal' progression, it's just in 4 -4 time...I got Auctioneer down, including the auction call, by listening to a Steve Goodman version of the song, which is done a little slower than Gord's; hence, it was easier to pick up the tempo. I love Christian Island, too...that is one song where you almost have to forget what your strumming hand is doing and go with the flow. It took me awhile to get into that groove, and this was just a few weeks ago! I'm trying out a little of Terry Clement's live 'mandolin' style during the break, too...very hard, for me anyway, but getting there.
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:10 AM   #16
Big Blue

quote:Terry Clements is the magic man in my opiion with all the song. Gord plays lead guitar 99% which is basic strumming. Terry really adds the magic. [/B]

Does Terry usually write a lead over Gord's rhythym or does Gord write out the whole song ahead of time? I have lately been under the impression that he writes every note on most of his songs. This is not to dispute that Terry Clements is an extremely talented lead guitarist. Can anyone answer this to the best of their knowledge?
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 AM   #17
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Big Blue:
Does Terry usually write a lead over Gord's rhythym or does Gord write out the whole song ahead of time? I have lately been under the impression that he writes every note on most of his songs. This is not to dispute that Terry Clements is an extremely talented lead guitarist. Can anyone answer this to the best of their knowledge?

I don't think they do it the same way every time. Sometimes Gord gets a specific riff in his head and writes it down and Terry embellishes on it. Other times, Terry (and the other guys) try several different things and Gord says, "I like it" or "I don't like it" and they take it from there.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 PM   #18
DMD3

I've got an important question. To learn to teach myself should I use a pick or fingerpick?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #19
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Toano-Tide:
Good question.

There are usually two guitar parts in Gord's songs, so that complicates playing a little.

But I find "Bitter Green" challenging
"Wherefore and Why" is as easy as a Gord song gets.

'Boss Man' sounds pretty easy. At least the beginning does anyway.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:04 PM   #20
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Well, don't put it off for too long if you're serious about learning. You're at a good age right now to take it up. It won't get easier as you get older, and life won't get easier, either. You'll be just as busy when you're older as you are now, maybe even more so. You seem to be a very intelligent guy, and you have great taste in music! Learning to play probably wouldn't be all that difficult to you.
So, if you really want to learn, get yourself a nice, low end guitar, like a Yamaha or Seagull, or better yet, look for a good used guitar. It's not all that hard to find a decent guitar in the $125 range. Then get on a computer, go to google and search guitar lessons. If you want to learn Lightfoot tunes, ask for help here or on alt.music.lightfoot (you can also get there by going to google groups and typing in alt.music.lightfoot). Both this group and the newsgroup have a bunch of good guitar players, and there is nothing on this earth that compares to getting together and jamming with Lightheads. We all know the same tunes!

My dad has 4 or 5 different guitars. I haven't tried all of them but of the 2 I have tried the Martin seems easier. Is a Martin good for starters or is a bit more advanced?(I'm going to teach myself from scratch).
Old 11-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #21
Iron

DMD3,
YOU BETTER NOT SCRATCH THAT MARTIN !!!!
Paddletoeses
I can't tell you about Gords younger years, but I can tell you that in His most recent touring years,His capo is on the 2nd fret when performing The Wreck.I've been in the front row several times,so this I can say for sure.The only one I can recall him doing in the 3rd position is Early Morning Rain.
Gord plays lead 99%,which is basic strumming???? You lost me on that one...
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:42 AM   #22
Rick Mundane

quote:Gordon Lightfoot plays a pair of 12-string Gibson B-45-12s from the 1960s. He uses two of them on stage: one in standard tuning, the other capoed at the third fret with the lowest pair of strings dropped to D.

The above is a quote from an article from 'Acoustic Guitar' magazine some time ago.

I have heard him (Gordon) refer to the guitar in dropped D tuning, as the 'F Gibson' he plays such songs as, 'Early Morning Rain' & 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy' on this guitar. The chord proression is in D on both songs. They sound in F because the capo is on the third fret.

Songs such as 'Sundown', 'Carefree Highway', 'The House You Live In' etc are performed on the other 12 string (standard tuning) capoed at second fret.

Careful perusal of the 'Live In Reno' DVD/Video will show both guitars. Standard tuning in first half. 'F Gibson' in second half.

Also during his last concert in Orilla, (I was fortunate enough to be there) he used the standard tuned instrument for first half. Had the 'F' instument on stage for second half. The audience asked for various songs, Gordon's response was that he needed the other guitar to do those songs, this guitar was in the dressing room. He left the stage to get it, and did 'Cotton Jenny' and 'Alberta Bound'. The only song he used the 'F Gibson' for that night was 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy'

I have to admit that Gord plays lead 99%,which is basic strumminghas me confused too.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:07 AM   #23
Cathy

My dad has 4 or 5 different guitars. I haven't tried all of them but of the 2 I have tried the Martin seems easier. Is a Martin good for starters or is a bit more advanced?(I'm going to teach myself from scratch).

Yes, a Martin is definitely good for starters! And if you don't like it, I'll gladly take it off your hands!
Before you start learning, DMD, take the guitar to a shop, have a certified technician set it up properly (if it needs it) and put new strings on it. Also, you might want to ask him what the value of the guitar is. Some Martins, especially if very old, are worth a pile of money. Some of the pre WW2 Martins are worth over $15,000. Martins from the '40s, 50's and 60's are also increasing in value. So get it checked out. When you're not playing the guitar, you should put it back in the case, and throw a guitar humidifier in there so the guitar doesn't crack. Don't leave it lying around where it can get damaged. I let my sons play my Martins, but only when I'm home. Otherwise, they are off limits.

You should learn to play a strumming song first, as fingerpicking is a more advanced technique that you should concentrate on after you've learned your chords. Alberta Bound is an easy one. If you need help with playing the chords, let us know. There are a bunch of guitar players in this group and I'm sure they'd all be willing to help.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM   #24
DMD3

I'm learning to play at long last. It's a slow process but so far I'm on the right track. Right now I'm learning to do something called "walking the board".

I've been meaning to ask, in the original 'Canadian Railroad Trilogy' is Gord playing guitar alone or does he have backup because the reason I want to play is to sound almost identical to the way Gord plays it.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:24 PM   #25
joveski

red shea is also playing on it. you won't be able to get the same sound with one guitar. it's pretty hard with two as well....