banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Jesse Joe

http://www.stevenmenke.com/JCTVShowsNo6.htm

Go to, Jan 13, 1971. Lightfoot was a guest. They spell his name, "Gorden Lightfoot".

You can search from pages 1 to 6, this of course is page 6.

[ July 19, 2006, 14:14: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Jesse Joe

Go to, Jan 13, 1971. Lightfoot was a guest. They spell his name, "Gorden Lightfoot".

[ July 19, 2006, 14:14: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:

OK but I left Montreal in November 1969, but before then I had tape-recorded the sound from another Johnny Cash Television show in which he and Gord duetted on For Lovin' Me. and Gord joined in the corny joke about his guitar not being a "tenor" because he had paid $12 for it
So I reckon Gord was on Johnny's show twice in fact
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse -Joe:

OK but I left Montreal in November 1969, but before then I had tape-recorded the sound from another Johnny Cash Television show in which he and Gord duetted on For Lovin' Me. and Gord joined in the corny joke about his guitar not being a "tenor" because he had paid $12 for it
Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
strange I searched the other pages for an earlier listing and found no mention of it
yet wayne obviously agrees as on:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/tvappear.htm
he says:-
"THE JOHNNY CASH SHOW - ABC - 1969
Lightfoot performed Ribbon Of Darkness and Softly during this appearance and duets with Johnny on For Lovin' Me. While in Nashville for this appearance, Lightfoot was introduced to Me And Bobby McGee by Kristofferson"
the later comment ties in with my comments about the song on another topic and certainly Gord was singing aboot sal-lie-nas in 1969
to be true Wayne also says:-
"THE JOHNNY CASH SHOW - ABC - 1971
This time out on the Cash show, Lightfoot does Canadian Railroad Trilogy and a snippet of Steel Rail Blues"
Old 07-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfowles:
strange I searched the other pages for an earlier listing and found no mention of it
yet wayne obviously agrees as on:-
http://www.lightfoot.ca/tvappear.htm
he says:-
"THE JOHNNY CASH SHOW - ABC - 1969
Lightfoot performed Ribbon Of Darkness and Softly during this appearance and duets with Johnny on For Lovin' Me. While in Nashville for this appearance, Lightfoot was introduced to Me And Bobby McGee by Kristofferson"
the later comment ties in with my comments about the song on another topic and certainly Gord was singing aboot sal-lie-nas in 1969
to be true Wayne also says:-
"THE JOHNNY CASH SHOW - ABC - 1971
This time out on the Cash show, Lightfoot does Canadian Railroad Trilogy and a snippet of Steel Rail Blues"
Old 07-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

I remember Gordon Lightfoot doing CRT on The Johnny Cash Show.

I did like you John, in those days beleive it or not, I was taping from the TV, with a small Sears Tape Recorder. Reel To Reel. And Johnny 's introduction of Lightfoot went like this...

"In 1967, to help celebrate Canada's Centennial, Gordon Lightfoot was asked to write a song. He wrote what he calls, 'The Canadian Railroad Trilogy,' and that's a fine piece of songwriting. I beleive this is the first time he's doing this for us, and proud he is, Welcome, Gordon Lightfoot".

ABC should run those classic, Cash shows. It would be better than most stuff that is on TV now a days.

www.johnnycashonline.com/

[ July 19, 2006, 16:14: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Jesse Joe

I remember Gordon Lightfoot doing CRT on The Johnny Cash Show.

I did like you John, in those days beleive it or not, I was taping from the TV, with a small Sears Tape Recorder. Reel To Reel. And Johnny 's introduction of Lightfoot went like this...

"In 1967, to help celebrate Canada's Centennial, Gordon Lightfoot was asked to write a song. He wrote what he calls, 'The Canadian Railroad Trilogy,' and that's a fine piece of songwriting. I beleive this is the first time he's doing this for us, and proud he is, Welcome, Gordon Lightfoot".

ABC should run those classic, Cash shows. It would be better than most stuff that is on TV now a days.

www.johnnycashonline.com/

[ July 19, 2006, 16:14: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Wesley

Yeah. But variety shows in reruns are very rare.

[ July 19, 2006, 17:54: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Affair on Touhy Ave.

[ July 19, 2006, 17:54: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #11
Shane

I think they should release all of the old Johnny Cash shows on DVD. And why not Glen Campbell too?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
Scott Mac

I think they should release all of the old Johnny Cash shows on DVD. And why not Glen Campbell too?
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

That would be a great idea, Scott Mac. But as for, "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour", he (Glen), once said in an interview, that he is the sole owner of these shows, and would sell them, for the right price I guess.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

That would be a great idea, Scott Mac. But as for, "The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour", he (Glen), once said in an interview, that he is the sole owner of these shows, and would sell them, for the right price I guess.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #15
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by Affair on Touhy Ave.:
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 AM   #16
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #17
Jesse Joe

Quote:
I agree, Touhy, but both Johnny Cash & Glen Campbell are not your average shows. I think they would do good, as summer replacements. I guess what the networks would need would be a list of names, in the thousands. Heck, they should at least try them.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #18
Jesse Joe

Quote:
I agree, Touhy, but both Johnny Cash & Glen Campbell are not your average shows. I think they would do good, as summer replacements. I guess what the networks would need would be a list of names, in the thousands. Heck, they should at least try them.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
Wesley

Well I'm no expert on these things but to my understanding old variety shows are very expensive to rerun whitch is apparently why it's rarely done. Soundstage of course is more of a concert series but I once wrote to them asking if they could show the original episodes once in a while. But the producer or whoever it was that responded said the broadcasting right,terms or whatever have long since expired and they would have to negociate new terms and so forth and it would be a long and costly process. I think anytime a series is reshown all this goes down but it must be harder to do with such shows or any kind of non-sitcon or no-dramatic TV shows. Just look at the Lightfoot CBC Archive footage. Probably all of those haven't been seen on TV since they originally aired.

What can I say? I guess you might as well petition the people who own the right to these shows to have them on DVD.

[ July 20, 2006, 20:39: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #20
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Well I'm no expert on these things but to my understanding old variety shows are very expensive to rerun whitch is apparently why it's rarely done. Soundstage of course is more of a concert series but I once wrote to them asking if they could show the original episodes once in a while. But the producer or whoever it was that responded said the broadcasting right,terms or whatever have long since expired and they would have to negociate new terms and so forth and it would be a long and costly process. I think anytime a series is reshown all this goes down but it must be harder to do with such shows or any kind of non-sitcon or no-dramatic TV shows. Just look at the Lightfoot CBC Archive footage. Probably all of those haven't been seen on TV since they originally aired.

What can I say? I guess you might as well petition the people who own the right to these shows to have them on DVD.

[ July 20, 2006, 20:39: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Yes very logical, indeed. I guess having them on DVD, would be OK...Jesse.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Yes very logical, indeed. I guess having them on DVD, would be OK...Jesse.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #23
rickv

13 shows of the Glen Campbell's Goodtime Hour were released to Country Music Television a couple of years ago, edited to half an hour. I don't think Gord was ever on his program, though Anne Murray was several times. They did an album together with a great rendition of "Canadian Sunset".

Here's a link to a rundown of Gord's movie and tv credits. No mention of Johnny Cash's show. A reviewer of his Harry Tracy performance isn't exactly kind. Compares his acting to that of Campbell's in True Grit!

Ugh! I can't believe they used "Beautiful" in such a horrid movie as "The Brown Bunny".

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0004492/

[ July 21, 2006, 07:32: Message edited by: rickv ]
rickv is offline   Reply With Quote