banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Scott Mac

Default Boise Concert 11-8-10

Lightfoot Concert 11-8-10
It was just what the doctor ordered! The prior weekend had been extremely busy. I was tired and my wife had endured yet another day in a very dysfunctional work environment. When would there be a better time to sit and enjoy the music of my favorite songwriter?

Boise’s Morrison center is a beautiful facility for performing arts located on the Boise River. It is in the middle of Boise State University’s (home of the BSU Broncos) campus.

The cooler November weather and falling leaves outside the center made a perfect backdrop for an evening of music. Due to budget constraints our seats were in the mezzanine, but there is not a bad seat in the house. I took binoculars so that I could get a close up view.

It is always interesting to see who attends various concerts. People of all ages filtered into the auditorium, but the bulk of the audience was aging baby boomers. It was not a sellout but it was a good sized crowd.

The concert started on time at 8PM. Gordon and the band walked on stage to thunderous applause. The show began with a nice version of one of his songs about the sea, “Triangle.” I have to admit, it was a bit of a shock when he first started singing. I knew his rich baritone voice has been gone a long time and I was not expecting that. Still I had to face the stark realization that the years have taken their toll. The voice is thin and sometimes creaky. The band really had to hold back so that his voice could be heard.

However, it did not take long to get over the voice and become totally enthralled with his music. He sang songs that spanned his over 40 year career. As he meandered through his vast repertoire of self penned numbers, my emotions came alive. Oh the memories, oh the talent, oh the musicianship, oh, oh, oh…….

Although not a super verbose performer he seemed quite talkative. He cracked several corny jokes but his anecdotal remarks were most interesting. He shared that “Clouds of Loneliness” was written after his second wife left him for the second time. It was like he was poking fun at himself. He also shared that “If Children Had Wings” was about his first wife. He said he wrote “Hangdog Motel Room” after spending the weekend with fellow musicians Doug Kershaw and Jerry Jeff Walker. When introducing “The Watchman’s Gone” he said he did not know “what the hell” it was about. He truly showed himself as a great performer who does not take himself too seriously.

The voice and the sound did seem better following their break. After his encore when he sang “Blackberry Wine” it was obvious that both he and the audience thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

I did not want the concert to end, but he certainly left me hungry for more.

Set List:
1) Triangle
2) Cotton Jenny
3) 14 Karat Gold
4) Never Too Close
5) Spanish Moss/Shadows (Medley)
6) In My Fashion
7) A Painter Passing Through
8) Carefree Hi-way
9) Hangdog Hotel Room
10) Ribbon of Darkness
11) Sundown
12) The Watchman's Out
13) Alberta Bound

(Intermission)

1) The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
2) Ring neck Loon
3) Don Quixote
4) Clouds of Loneliness
5) Let it Ride
6) If Children Had Wings
7) If You Could Read My Mind
8) Restless
9) Baby Step Back
10) Early Morning Rain
11) Song for a Winter's Night
Encore:
12)Blackberry Wine
Scott Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Wes Steele

Default Re: Boise Concert 11-8-10

Scott,

Thanks for report. Very well done.

Have you ever seen Gordon before?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
charlene

thanks for the terrific report Scott.
I imagine Gordon and the boys were pretty giddy with tiredness after such a long tour. It's exhausting just reading the schedule.
I notice he did just one of two of the epics..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Scott Mac

I think this was the eighth time I have seen him. He said it was their fifth show in the Morrison center. I saw all five of those shows, twice at another Boise venue and once at an outdoor concert in Utah. That was the time I got to meet him. It was so neat! We did not stay to meet him this time because the weather was very cold and my wife had to be at work early the next morning.

Char, I am sure he was tired, but his stamina is amazing. What a talent!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
charlene

I think turning 72 might have invigorated him even more! (just my opinion mind you..)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
jj

thanks for the terrific review
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
brink-

That was a really great write up, Scott. I felt like I was there, and I have had the same feelings. You know where you are transported to an earlier time just by the song he is singing, and it has rustled up some memories of days gone by. You have a gift for writing thanks for sharing it here.

Deb
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Scott Mac

Thanks for all your kind comments! I enjoy writing and I love music. Especially Gordon's!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
2silent2breal

Scott Mac, after seeing him a few days later I would concur on your comments. Especially that it didn't take long to get over the voice and become completely enthralled with the music. Excellent review. I didn't take notes and my memory is not great, but it sounds like we heard a pretty similar setlist. He also told the same story about JJ Walker and Doug Kershaw.

I saw Doug Kershaw once. He opened for Merle Haggard in Denver and was very entertaining for his 45 minute set. Then Bob Eubanks of Newlywed game fame, who was apparently Merle's manager came out and said that they could not find Merle, so the rest of the concert was canceled and we were to get a refund.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Scott Mac

Merle Haggard was a no show? Weird. I have seen Merle a couple of times in concert. Seeing Doug Kershaw would be neat!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
BendRick

Thanks for this review, I wanted to attend this concert, but weather concerns and work, prevented me. Your review is right on.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
2silent2breal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mac View Post
Merle Haggard was a no show?
Yes, when Bob Eubanks made the announcement he said he was truly in fear about Merle as he had never been a no-show before. I forget the circumstances afterwards but they found him and I think he stopped his tour schedule for a while. I had seen him the year before on the same stage (the now demolished Denver Auditorium Arena) and he put on a great show.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
DellroyGM

Good post, Scott Mac!
The playlist and general flow (the stories & all) seems very similar to the Akron (June 2010) show. Not a criticism, mind you. I, too, am happy Gord is still touring. I think we observed the same thing - Gord's voice started out a bit thin, but got warmed up as the show went on. I will certainly go again, given the chance!
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote