banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
charlene

Default Oklahoma City 2010

http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtis...D=52789#bottom

okpfloyd wrote:05:56 PM, Aug 21, 2010 |
Date of Concert: 8/16/2010 | Location: Oklahoma City, Ok, USA

My first time ever seeing Gordon Lightfoot, the 72 year old Canadian hippie-like, folksy, pop, and always precise musician (of about 6 chords) was a treat to finally see. He’s Canada’s National Treasure as John Prine is to America. Certainly a diversion from a long hot Oklahoma summer. Finally seeing the legendary Gordon Lightfoot was a thrill and an honor.

I think Lightfoot’s music is in his own genre, sure it's mostly Folk but past Folk and a truly unique sound. He and his music brings you into his life and shares his emotions and experiences on a personal and often spiritual level. We all felt like we were seeing an old friend again and catching up on our lives. Feeling compete again.

The music was well done and expectedly a tight performance with the 40+ yeaars experience they have together as a band. He started with Triangle and ended the show with a short encore of Blackberry Wine, in between were all the other songs you’d hope to hear from him in his 5 piece band. Carefree Highway, Sundown, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, If You Could Read My Mind, Don Quixote, and Let It Ride. I was especially moved by his singing a song he told us he wrote after his first wife left him with their kids and moved to Europe, a song called If Children Had Wings.

I was a bit disappointed that the show was not louder but in such an intimate setting it didn’t really matter. The show was at Rose State CC in OKC which probably seats about two thousand or so people. Sorry Mr. Lightfoot, I was the guy in the 6th row yelling "turn it up"! (Only once between a song of course). But thanks so much for coming to Middle Earth!

~~~

It was a fine show, a wonderful evening of great music. See you next year man.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Oklahoma City 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
http://www.pollstar.com/resultsArtis...D=52789#bottom

I think Lightfoot’s music is in his own genre, sure it's mostly Folk but past Folk and a truly unique sound. He and his music brings you into his life and shares his emotions and experiences on a personal and often spiritual level. We all felt like we were seeing an old friend again and catching up on our lives. Feeling compete again.
well said. His music is Folk, but a Folk like no other. Because his music is personal, you feel as if he is talking to you, almost as if he "gets" you and it is good.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
dhartman

Default Re: Oklahoma City 2010

I was at that show also . To me the whole band is like old friends . I did a little hollering also. Talked to Gord and the boys after the show . It was the last time I saw Terry . ( sigh ). Wish they were coming back to these parts , I keep watch but no date yet. Train sitting on the tracks tonight and it made me think of the watchman . I didn't see him . Hope to see them soon. Dale
dhartman is offline   Reply With Quote