banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Jennifer

Default Sentiments expressed on this site

I haven't visited in a year and I come back to see everything is still the same, including the subtle and sometimes not so subtle anti-American sentiments expressed on this site. But hey when your own moderator obviously HATES Americans and sets the tone on these boards.... well crap has a way of making its way down, doesn't it.

And some of you in the past have wondered why younger people dont visit this site much. Its because we're not a generation of hatred and prejudice; we're a generation that realizes wisdom is more than age and experience, its about having an open heart too!! I visit and participate in several music related boards, and this one is the worst by far when it comes to the condescending "tone" in some of these posts. What a shame... you're a drag on the artist and the music and it totally ruins any chances of you passing it on to other generations for them to enjoy.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Sentiments expressed on this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
... we're not a generation of hatred and prejudice
hi jennifer, I don't recognize you're user but I'll check out some of your prior 170 posts...you say you haven't been here in a year, I trust that you caught Gord on his 2008 tour and hope you will post about the experience

as far as this post, there's a condescending tone coming from you...I hope that your generation IS actual full of peace and non-prejudice and that you have been nurtured in that manner thanks to the parental and teacher guidance of the generation you are putting down as hateful, etc

I just made a post calling the Chicago Black Hawks 'lowly'...they were at the time...and I am sorry if that type of loose comment is perceived as a put down...I remember our moderator saying that US elections drag on too long and also implying there's perhaps too much football watching during US thanksgiving... I also agree with that and have heard the same comments from the few Americans that i do know first hand....you should e-mail our friendly moderator with examples of what has you miffed...i don't understand you're public dissing of this 'hateful' board at all

what other music boards do you enjoy and post to? ...in this small talk area you'll see lots of discussion about other fan faves, there's one thread near the top right this moment asking what 2nd Fave artists are...glad to have you join in and hope please IM me if I offend you, a lot of us are pretty candid and assume if we make a borderline post that no ill will is perceived by readers, young and old

cheers
j

Last edited by jj; 11-02-2008 at 11:09 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
jj

Quote:
it totally ruins any chances of you passing it on to other generations for them to enjoy.
btw, I know first hand that many if not most of our moderator's finest friends are fine Americans (there's actually only about 5 to 10 of us dumb canuck on this board, lol)

...and no single person or promoter is required to pass along Gord to younger generations...the music itself will take care of that...I was introduced to it when mom was spinning an early record and now my son is also benefiting from my having a 'few' Gord tunes in the household....his gift will ripple on to our children's, children's, children (and I hope there is still an Earth by then

ps) I've never seen so many hate crimes (90% are actually carried out by youth) in the area in and around where I live or work...sad
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
RM

Quote:
I visit and participate in several music related boards, and this one is the worst by far when it comes to the condescending "tone" in some of these posts. What a shame... you're a drag on the artist and the music and it totally ruins any chances of you passing it on to other generations for them to enjoy.
I feel ashamed of myself.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I feel ashamed of myself.
Jennifer, if you've been referring to the posts that are directed toward, rm...he has been certainly more than deserving of the 'holier than thou' tone received...he's also a glutton for punishment

i don't entirely know what that term means but i've heard it all of my life

btw, what i haven't heard in a good (and bad) 15 years is an old fave tune by an interesting writer that Jen's user ID somehow sparked, then i youtubed it (that is now an official verb isn't it?)

"did you ever have a bad dream, wake up and it not stop..."

I always liked that line...I often try to go back to bed and get out the other side... and even off the end and then the headboard if necessary ....if i have more than four bad starts, i stay away from sharp objects and resist posting and/or pissing at/or on corfid
Old 11-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Sundown17

Jennifer,

I am sorry that this is the impression you have received from reading this board. Sometimes, because of the lack of personality in the printed word, the reader puts their own experiences into them. I think perhaps you may be mistaking dry humor and teasing among friends as your anti-American sentiments. As a proud American with some pretty thin skin, I have never felt dissed on this board. In fact it's one of the few places out in the cyberworld that I visit where I know all are welcome and I don't have to waste my time with trolls and idiots.

I know Char personally and count her as one of my dear friends in and outside of the Lightfoot world. A kinder, more generous, open hearted, and most importantly, open minded soul you will not find. She does not hate Americans. That's a fact. Yes, she has expressed some opinions about the way things are done in the US, as have many others, including Americans about Canadian ways. It's all in the spirit of intelligent adult conversation. I think that you will find that if you state the sentiments expressed that have offended you, in a mature open manner, we would be more than happy to engage in a conversation about our point of view and be more than willing to listen to yours.

What Char won't put up with is pointed rudeness and blatant lack of respect. That's her job as the moderator and she does a d@mn good one of it.

Diane
Sundown17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Yuri

Hi Jennifer,

I’m sorry that you perceive some of the sentiments expressed on this site as being anti-American. Lightfoot’s music has brought fans from many countries together at Corfid and not surprisingly, perceptions and opinions will vary not only between nations but between individuals. Here, among friends, we feel safe to discuss the topics that unite us such as music, but also what makes us different. It’s what brings “life” to the forum. I would hope that comments and observations of our differences would be taken as an opportunity for discussion and enlightenment rather than immediately perceived as a slight against any person or nation.

Without knowing the statistics, I venture to say that the majority of participants in this forum are probably American and many of the opinions your own. About 80% of the Canadian population resides within several hundred miles of the American border so naturally we are often inundated and overwhelmed by American culture and events. Some Canadians feel it threatens our identity. But like the ‘little brother’ who desperately wishes to be seen as his own person, he would fight tooth and nail to defend his ‘big brother’s’ reputation. Ask any Canadian which country they’d rather share their border with and you’d find that the overwhelming majority would keep the U.S. We are much more alike than different.

Not having read Char’s post where she allegedly commented that the U.S. election campaigns are too long I can only surmise that this was an observation and not intended as an insult. I too scratch my head over a two year campaign for a four year term in office but I mean no insult by it. Char needs no defending, regardless, knowing her personally I can vouch for her integrity as moderator of this forum. In the past she graciously invited a mob of Corfidians into her home during Massey week and I’ve witnessed the friendship she so willingly extends to all, regardless of nationality.

Over the years I have corresponded with, shared music with and personally met many American Corfidians who are no longer acquaintances but have become friends. In fact we all have become a ‘family’ with the surname ‘Corfid’.

Lightfoot was born Canadian, but let’s face it - he belongs to the world. I, for one am delighted he has brought so many of us together at Corfid regardless of our nationality.

Americans? Heck, I married one almost a quarter century ago and I love her madly even if we don’t always see things eye to eye….

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Yuri; 11-02-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #8
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
I remember our moderator saying that US elections drag on too long and also implying there's perhaps too much football watching during US thanksgiving...
The evidence mounts ........

I agree about the US election process, but football on Thanksgiving ? What better way to avoid participating in a dysfunctional family setting ? It works.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown17 View Post
What Char won't put up with is pointed rudeness and blatant lack of respect. That's her job as the moderator and she does a d@mn good one of it.

Diane
Thank you Diane.

Jennifer - Diane is correct in saying that at this site I don't put up with rudeness and lack of respect and sadly you have managed to do both in one, not so subtle post ..
you have been rude and disrespectful not just to me but to ALL who come here to post about all manner of subjects.

You state: "when your own moderator obviously HATES Americans and sets the tone on these boards....
First of all - I don't HATE anyone. Period.
Second - I do not set the tone here. That is not why I get paid the big bucks..

You also so eloquently state: "Well crap has a way of making its way down, doesn't it?"
How insulting to everyone here!!! - including the Americans who are the majority of members at this site.
You have debased and disrespected their intelligence in making the decision to come here and share their loves and lives.
It also insults the owner of this site who is neither American nor Canadian but perhaps more importantly and paramount at this site, he too is a Lightfoot fan.

For the record I have many, many dear, close friends who are American, my sister and her family live in the U.S. My nephew is American, my cousin lives in the U.S. as well.
I visit the U.S. every year for vacation - I even got a Canadian flag tattoo in the U.S.!

Having differences of opinions on many subjects makes us an interesting mix of people at this site and thankfully, for the most part, regardless of nationality, (race, religion, age, weight, height, eye colour, political leanings..etc.etc.) we have all been mature, kind and respectful enough to discuss issues and banter back and forth without the crass rudeness and disrespect you have shown ALL of us.

I believe that the members here are intelligent enough to recognize that the condescending attitude you have has nothing to do with me or any of them..

We have all ages of people that post here and reflect the fact that yes we of the older generation have indeed passed along the music of The Man..
I know I have certainly done my part with not only my kids but just about damn well every person I meet.
And as JJ states - the music does just fine on its own in making new fans..

I am proud of the fans, the "Net People" at this site, and the integrity that all of us have in our honesty and true regard for each other when we post, regardless of the topic.

Finally, and not so subtly, I would like to state that I am also proud of how this message board has been moderated for 8 years and I think it is safe to say that those who post here feel the same.

Thanks for dropping by..

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

"I visit and participate in several music related boards, and this one is the worst by far when it comes to the condescending "tone" in some of these posts."

If you find the "tone" on this board condescending, you must have a limited experience of discussion forums, music related or not. The tone on many, many boards is positively vitriolic. One requires asbestos britches to venture into them. Some are replete with, in the words of the great John Cleese (re Sarah Palin's sentence structure) "unparsable flapdoodle" - love that phrase, btw. Most Lightheads are kindness personified. We all have our moments, of course.

I am an American married 28 years to a Canadian, and have no idea WHY the 2008 election is expected to cost $5.3 BILLION. Forget limits on campaign finance - limit the time spent campaigning, which will itself limit the costs. And reduce the sheer aggravation, which spirals down to boredom and indifference.

Have a nice day!
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
charlene

Quote:
The evidence mounts ........

I agree about the US election process, but football on Thanksgiving ? What better way to avoid participating in a dysfunctional family setting ? It works.
aha! - Ron, so many things are crystal clear now ...
lol

altho at times things here can seem like Thanksgiving Day with the family and NO football on the tely..
Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #12
lighthead2toe

Thank you.
At this point Jennifer has not come back with a second comment.

Maybe she was just having a bad day and we all have them that's for sure.
Reading into her post though and seeing the way the word "hates" was capitalized, with reference to Americans, and apart from being a personal friend of Charlene, I would hope to see a retraction from Jennifer.

I can personally vouch for the fact that Char would have to choke on her heartstrings to come out with hate for anyone and I know for a fact that Americans are among many her closest friends and mine too.
The music of Gordon Lightfoot is far removed from the word hate and it's upsetting that it would come into play here in such a manner.

On a lighter note I would hope that Jennifer would be in a position to make her way up here to Toronto and join us at the next Lightfoot Massey Hall gig, come together with us Canucks, Americans, Australians, UK folks and others from all over the globe and hold hands, sing the songs, and sure , have a little banter, whether it be political or otherwise, but without the word hate coming into the picture.
Sincerely, Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Patti

Jennifer, there have been times that I have felt hated on this site; right or wrong, I have felt that way.
Canadians really are above us, you know.
Wisdom is the way to go. She will take you straight to the North Pole.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Jennifer, there have been times that I have felt hated on this site; right or wrong, I have felt that way.
Canadians really are above us, you know.
What do you mean by that?

I'm sure they're just as many not so well off people on both sides of the border.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #15
charlene

geographically canada is above the u.s.
I can only assume that is what was meant - I sure dont' know what else it would mean. I don't know if it alludes to any persons status of being well off or not..
it's a very confusing post to say the least.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #16
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
geographically canada is above the u.s.
yeah, i think that's the gist...as well as Santa being the wisest of all

i don't think there are two more friendly and like neighbours in the entire world...we mainly differ in that our elections don't get quite as much CNN airtime, lol

i truly hope your new leader will work with our leader in 2 part harmony...then join the rest of the world leaders and form a large choir all singing the same tune
Old 11-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
This is Detective Meason here. I have a few questions : Who dissed Patti ? Just "fess up". Don't make us scour the bowels of Corfid to find the evidence. If you accept the plea agreement you're probably looking at a 1-2 day probation period.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
jj

firstly, i'm not psychologically fit to stand trial

secondly, ok...a while back i displayed anti-americanism (anti-patti-ism, anyhow) by not allowing her submission of 'Father' to be accepted in our Lightfoot lyric 'Name' listing....i don't know if she realized that following an appeal process, the entry was permitted

in all sincerity, which of these doesn't belong with the others?:

Lightfoot
Corfid
Hate
Love
Old 11-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #19
charlene

Detective Meason - CORFID P.D.
lol
goodluck with the investigation..

We are each entitled to our feelings..right or wrong, justified or not..

Sorry I can't help with the investigation Detective..the clue is too vague ..

"there have been times that I have felt hated on this site; right or wrong, I have felt that way."
Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #20
timetraveler

Quote:
I haven't visited in a year and I come back to see everything is still the same, including the subtle and sometimes not so subtle anti-American sentiments expressed on this site. But hey when your own moderator obviously HATES Americans and sets the tone on these boards.... well crap has a way of making its way down, doesn't it.

And some of you in the past have wondered why younger people dont visit this site much. Its because we're not a generation of hatred and prejudice; we're a generation that realizes wisdom is more than age and experience, its about having an open heart too!! I visit and participate in several music related boards, and this one is the worst by far when it comes to the condescending "tone" in some of these posts. What a shame... you're a drag on the artist and the music and it totally ruins any chances of you passing it on to other generations for them to enjoy.
I'm so sorry that you feel that way Jennifer. Myself, I'm an American who visits this site on a fairly regular basis, and unless I'm being totally clueless or whatever, I have yet to see one bit of anti-American sentiment anywhere on this site. All that I HAVE seen is a lot of lovely people with warm & generous spirits who share their opinions with others out there.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #21
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
ok...a while back i displayed anti-americanism (anti-patti-ism, anyhow) by not allowing her submission of 'Father' to be accepted in our Lightfoot lyric 'Name' listing
(ok, now we're talking) jj, have a seat. Can I get you a cup of coffee ? Cigarette ?

How long have you been a member of Corfid ?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #22
Jesse Joe

Detective R. Meason, dont forget to shine the light in his face during the interrogation. Might get more out of him by doing so !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #23
LadyA

As an American, a long time Lightfoot fan & someone who consistently reads the posts here (although I infrequently post), I was amazed by this post. I have NEVER read anything that seemed even remotely anti-American to me. Most often the things I have read (i.e. elections taking too long) I heartily agree with. Is this a problem of only Americans can say things about America? I find that the most enlightening things come from those who can see us in a way that we cannot see ourselves.

As for Char, while I have no personal experience with her, she seems to be an incredibly gracious woman who devotes a great deal of time & energy here for which she is not often rewarded. From this American, I have never had the feeling that you dislike/disdain/hate Americans & I appreciate what you do here & am sorry for the abuse given by someone who I share a country with.

I've never understood peoples need to rant particularly at the expense of someone else. If you don't like what you perceive as the sentiments on this site, don't read them & don't post here. It's called freedom of choice.
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #24
charlene

thank you LadyA and all others who have expressed their support..
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
jj

Quote:
(ok, now we're talking) jj, have a seat. Can I get you a cup of coffee ? Cigarette ?

How long have you been a member of Corfid ?

yes- yes - and some would say too long...

jjo,
i do 'hate' bright lights...big cities too (unless in small doses )