banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Martyn Miles

Default Rediscovering

I'm sure we all know this, but going back to a record or CD you haven't played in a while can be a revelation.
' Endless Wire ' is not one I play a great deal. The Songbook box set usually has one of its CDs in my player, ready to play. Then I happened to see/hear the video of ' If Children had Wings ', so I dug out Endless. I'd forgotten what a wonderful song 'If Children...' is. Playing the whole CD through took me back to the late '70s, when my then girlfriend was away on holidaying Canada. She brought back the LP of Endless Wire as a present for me. Hearing those songs again brought back the memories of that time and how I was missing her.
We all know how a GL song can exactly ' tap into ' something we're going through or experiencing. For me it's ' Something Very Special '. It sums up my Wife, especially when she was girlfriend all those wonderful years ago.
GL must be the only singer/songwriter whose songs can be found for any situation in my life...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Rediscovering

Thanks for this posting. I agree that GL must be the only singer and songwriter whose songs are there for any situation in my life. there are so many songs that take me instantly to a memory. Every single song on Endless Wire takes me back to college and the 5 hour drive i took nearly every week to see my future husband. Those songs can take me to exact places on the highway, especially Endless Wire and Dreamland.
however, the one specific song that gets me every time is Looking at the Rain. It was playing on the radio in my car as I was driving in the rain to the vet, the day my beloved childhood cat died.
"Wishing this was all a dream
And I'd find you sleeping when I wake"
those words take me to that cat and that day every time.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Kelly Davis

Even Gord has admitted that his late '70's / early '80's albums "weren't very good".

Of course, I disagree, 'Shadows' being one of his very best albums.

Anyway, 'Endless Wire' always deserves a listen / re-listen.

Probably my two favorites from that album are his own re-make of 'The Circle Is Small' and 'Dreamland'.

'Sometimes I Don't Mind' is my least favorite (maybe of all his catalog) GL tune on the album. It always sounds like he wrote it in a big hurry. It just doesn't take you anywhere.

Kelly Davis
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Martyn Miles

My all-time favourite album is ' Old Dan's Records ', although it was ' Summer Side of Life' that introduced me to GL's music.
' Can't Depend on Love ' is the track I identify most with. There are lines there which speak directly to me. ' That Same Old Obsession ' also touches on some of the times in my life.
I obviously don't know the inspiration for some of Gord's songs, except where he mentions them in Songbook.
Like many people, I almost know which one to listen to when a particular situation arises
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Davis View Post

'Sometimes I Don't Mind' is my least favorite (maybe of all his catalog) GL tune on the album. It always sounds like he wrote it in a big hurry
Kelly Davis
The song sure ends in a big hurry...It fizzled
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Bill

I've always had a soft spot for the Did She Mention My Name album.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Rob1956

You know, more and more I feel "Songbook" is a real gift. There's just so much there, especially the unreleased songs. I suspect Gord has more songs, or parts of songs, recorded but doesn't feel they should be released. I also have a feeling he has set aside some stuff to be released after his death. His saying that he originally thought of the "All Live" album as a posthumous release makes me think that. But I'm willing to wait a long time to find out. I treasure the United Artists CD I have that combines all his UA releases except for "Sunday Concert" and take it out and listen to it a couple of time a year. I do think Gord has plans for things after he leaves this planet (the HD filming at Massey a couple of years ago), so we'll see. I kind of like that idea. But I'll be happy to wait til about 2030 or so to hear/see them.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
KHester

I also think, that there must be a lot of stuff that was put into the archives as not being quite right for a particular album. Songbook has some "undiscovered gems" on it. Elvis had songs released for years after his death. Will we discover all that is in Gordon's attic? We can only hope.