banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-05-2003, 06:18 PM   #1
Borderstone

I'm looking forward to August 18th,when VH 1 presents this show. I most definetly will watch each one! They'd better mention Gordon Lightfoot or I'll be quite disappointed. Is anyone else going to watch? If you didn't know about it,now you do. It's got to be better than the '80 one they did. I say,you love the '80s? You can have 'em. Over on the VH 1 message board (which I could not get registered on) I read a post where some young person wants to see an,"I Love the '90s" show! : Is he or she kidding? I see no possible way that could be entertaining. The 70's-80's (and 50's & 60's) have a funky unique quality about them that upon looking back it's funny. There's nothing funny about the 90's. If anyone thinks there is,tell me what it is and who knows? Maybe,I'll laugh. Anyhow,remember,"I Love The '70s" Aug 18th VH1! (Check your local listings) Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Brave Soul

Thanks, Borderstone. I will be watching.
Brave Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:03 AM   #3
Gord

I doubt very much you will see Gordon Lightfoot on that.... it will concentrate mostly on pop music. If it was a Canadian show then ya he would be on there. IMHO.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #4
Oma

My daughter and I will be watching "I Love the 70's"! I lived it...it will be fun to see! My daughter and I have watched "I love the 80's" so many times that I can't even count! I just love the comments some of the people make about the fads and all! My daughter is 14 but she says that she wishes she would have lived in the 80's because it looked so fun (well, she did live in the 80's for a short time, but she doesn't remember much of it!).

I hope they mention GL on the 70's show...that would be cool!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
TheWatchman

My wife and I love the 80's show and have watched it many times too.

Really looking forward to the 70's one now. I was already thinking when I first saw the advertisements on VH1, that Lightfoot would surely get a mention. He was pretty big in the early-mid 70's. He did break into the pop scene then for sure. Don't believe me, look at the charts or ask any folk purist.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
Oma

You know, they really better mention Gord on the "I Love the 70's" show because he was really popular...in the late 70's all of my friends and I had his Gord's Gold album! Nobody said "Gordon Lightfoot who?" when you mentioned his name then either("Did she mention my name?" )! He was in a lot of U.S. households at that time in history! He should at least get some sort of mention!!!!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #7
waltsongs

As long as they do not focus too much on the Bee Gees and the Village people, I'll probably enjoy it. Borderstone, I disagree with you on the nineties, I can't wait for a spoof show on the ninties. How are they going to make their pants any bigger or ride any lower then the way folks actually wore them in the ninties. That alone should make it a hoot.

Walt

[This message has been edited by waltsongs (edited August 06, 2003).]
waltsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Good point Walt,

When my younger relatives goof on my pictures from back then (with the long hair and purple shirts, etc.) I just smile. In about 20 years the things that pass for 'cool' today will make for great comedy.
LOL

Bill

And I can't wait to see what the tattoos look like on the girls on the beach when they've gained a hundred pounds or so and the hair's gone gray.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #9
SomewhereupinMichigan

Oh my gosh, Bill! Say it ain't so!!! Today's tattooed "beauties" on the beach when they've turned gray and gained 100#!! Count me out! I'm staying off the beaches. Not interested in seeing either the gals or the guys then!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
Borderstone

Walt! I hate ta tell ya,but when they cover 1978,there's no way they will not go on about the Bee Gees. I think though that they give each little topic equal time,although I don't know what much more could be said about the Village People. (Except that they made the worst movie of 1980,if not of all time,"Can't Stop The Music".) I actually used to have that soundtrack,I thought it was "great" music! I never bought the song,"In The Navy",though. I did have some good taste for my age. : Now,if you'll excuse me,I'm gonna go walk my pet rock! Here boy...er..girl? C'mon! Why aren't ya moving?! Heel! Heel!

------------------
Old 08-07-2003, 01:24 PM   #11
Oma

quote:Originally posted by BILLW:

And I can't wait to see what the tattoos look like on the girls on the beach when they've gained a hundred pounds or so and the hair's gone gray.

Eeewww...what a scary mental image! That is the exact image I've been trying to get across to my girl's when they ask if they can get a tattoo! (The answer is NO, BTW!)
Old 08-21-2003, 07:19 PM   #12
Borderstone

Well,so far this week I've been watching the above listed show and or shows and they're great! Anyone else been tuning in? It's great except the monkey is a bit annoying and in some of the segments they keep using songs that are in previous segments. Not to mention they haven't mentioned GL yet,unless it was in 1970 which I missed. Other than that,I have found them incredibly funny,except when they made fun of Benji. Benji's my main dawg! The most hysterical "look back" was when they talked about the song,"Feelings" by Morris Albert! I can't really explain but watch the 1975 show and you'll see what I mean. Personally,starting with the '72 show,I remember seeing all that stuff! Been me,later!

------------------
Old 08-25-2003, 10:43 AM   #13
Oma

I watched the whole week long series and I was a little disappointed in it. It was too much sex and drugs (my sister kept telling me...that WAS the 70's, sex and drugs...Duh, where was I, anyway! ), but anyhow, I just didn't think it was as funny as the "I Love the 80's series"!

Unless I missed it, which is possible, I don't remember them getting into many Folk artists at all. It seemed like there was a whole culture that they forgot to mention...MINE!!! There was a short mention of John Denver, but I think it was off-hand. I remember John Denver being a BIG part of the 70's. Also, I don't remember seeing Gord mentioned either...what an outrage! How about Cat Stevens...was he mentioned?

I think the commentators/comedians were fairly funny, but they seemed a little young to have even experienced that era. They sure had to "bleep out" a lot of their comments, too. I realy noticed that because I was watching it with my kids! It just seemed like they tried harder to be funny this time around and I thought they did a better job with the 80's series. There were a few funny segments, though...one of them in particular was the one about the Pop-rocks and Drinking Coke along with them. I don't remember doing that, but the comments were pretty humorous! Oh, the mouse in the EZ Bake Oven was pretty funny, too.

I wish they would have shown more of the toys and fads...they did at least mention the Pet Rock. They also mentioned Klackers, but they had them featured in the 77 hour and I know I bought mine at Grants Drug Store in either 71 or 72 and they were quickly banned after that because they were hazardous...I don't think they even made it to 77, but, my memory is fuzzy and I could be wrong about how long they were on the market. I don't remember them featuring The Smily Face or Floppy Hats, but maybe I missed them.

All in all, it was fun to watch, but I enjoyed watching "The 80's" a lot more.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:05 PM   #14
Jenney

Oma, I agree! It seemed to me that they did skip right over the folk type music. I mean, wasn't Tapestry a huge best seller? Seems to me that was in the early 70's. I wasn't counting on hearing Gordon mentioned, but I thought they would surely mention some of the others, James Taylor, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, I mean the 70's was just full of that type of great music!
I thought the hosts were a bit young for the era too. I was hoping for more cameos by some of the celebs of the 70's I guess.

Seems to me Klackers were off the market sometime around 1972? They were originally made of glass, and would shatter! Glass? Who's idea was that?
I expected to see smiley faces and a few other trends as well. All in all I enjoyed the series though, and will probably watch it again sometime.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:29 PM   #15
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by Jenney:

Oma, I agree! It seemed to me that they did skip right over the folk type music. I mean, wasn't Tapestry a huge best seller? Seems to me that was in the early 70's. I wasn't counting on hearing Gordon mentioned, but I thought they would surely mention some of the others, James Taylor, John Denver, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, I mean the 70's was just full of that type of great music!
Jenney

Absolutely! TAPESTRY was released in May 1971 and spent 302 weeks on the charts (you read that right.) It was huge, with almost every cut a hit or near hit. Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, John Denver etc., all the singer/songwriters, were all over the charts. The hosts probably weren't even born during the 70s. If you want a real retrospective, not just gimmicky highlights, get somebody who was there at the time.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited August 25, 2003).]
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #16
Borderstone

I'm guessing the people at VH1 were most likely hesitant about getting "older" hosts who actually lived in that time. Heaven forbid teens and 20 somethings should have to listen to someone knowledgeable! I know they kept most of the original hosts so that their main demographic would tune in. Funny,when VH1 started back in '85 it was for the baby boomer crowd and just slightly younger. How soon they forget. I liked most of what I saw,but I know you can only cram so much into an hour./// By the way,if they do the 90's,how on earth are they going to downplay all the violence that went on? That ought to be a clever trick. Oh,well! Those of us who lived in the '70s remember it well,with or without VH1. (Just makin up for the lack of those on the show!)

------------------
Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 PM   #17
gwen snyder

BS, they will play down the violence of the 90's like they played down the music of the 70's and maybe something is gelling about now that these programs are just about the preposterous events that occurred during these times and not the true historic analysis that could be. Imagine that.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:17 PM   #18
Borderstone

That doesn't surprise me a bit Gwen. It's more like these shows are stand-up routines for the hosts than anything. It felt to me that they were forcing the humor this time around. Of course,when asked to repeat yourself in anything,no one really likes to do that. /// I finally saw the '79 one last night. At the end,they brought up the Village People and showed them singing,"Ready For The '80s" on the Don Kirshner Rock concert (or was that the Midnight Special?) Anyhow,I had not seen that performance since 1980 when it first aired. What a time warp! I'm glad they ended showing The Muppet Movie,because that's the very last movie I saw in 1979! I still need to see '70,I missed it. Been me,later!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited August 27, 2003).]
Old 09-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #19
Borderstone

Finally saw '70! Now I just have to wait for DVD's???

------------------
Borderstone - "Little 'Ol Message Maker Me!"