banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Testforum

Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Testing displaying a large image

Whilst I know that Florian has wisely imposed a 500KB limit on any uploaded image "attachment"
I was curious to see if there was any individual limit on dimensions as distincyt from file sizes for a picture one is trying to display in view of the recent apparent display problem at thread:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17569
where two posters apparently had difficulty displaying an image and which resulted in a pair of identical 407.3 KB albeit ginormous megapixel camera images getting attached which I found were both some 3648 x 2736 pixels= each almost 10 megapixels, So perhaps Dore all along you really only wanted to show off your expensive digital camera
Whilst the filesizes of only 407 KB (417,077 bytes) are not particularly huge they did take a very long period of thumb twiddling to download and many tedious minutes to upload using a dial up connection
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Kerstin

Default Re: Testing displaying a large image

Well done John. Sure easier to look at the picture this way.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
Dream Street Rose

Okay Sir John,

You were just teasing me about showing off my "expensive camera", right? The last camera I had before this one was so old you could no longer buy memory cards for it. So, after 10 years Ken bought me a new modern one. He told me the cost was around $200. I have not had it very long and am still learning how to use it. I will learn how to also post pictures as my time allows.

I tried to make the picture smaller before I posted and it is smaller. Obviously, I need to visit your school again.

May I still be Dame Rose?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Dream Street Rose

Sir John,

I am officially asking you for help. I have tried and Ken has tried to post a thumbnail picture. We don't think our problem is a nice camera or computer. For some reason we just don't get it. We both know how to read and follow directions. Maybe we are making this harder that it is. Since you are the expert Rose is on her hands and knees asking for help, please (will post pic of that when I learn how). lol

DSR
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Street Rose View Post
Rose is on her hands and knees asking for help, please (will post pic of that when I learn how).
DSR
OK will this suffice???

Ah Ha another Dame(sel) in distress
It is as you might suspect quite elementary my Dear Dore
I'll try to do explain in words of two or less syllables where possible!
  • Firstly make sure that you are wearing spectacles (if you need them)
  • Then immediately after you have composed your masterpiece of text and pasted it into either a reply to an existing topic or a new topic/thread
  • Simply scroll to the bottom of the form and try to find the link that enticingly says"Manage attachments"
    (it looks remarkably like this):-
  • click it (the link as shown above)
    lo and behold this most useful pop-up err umm pops up

Note that there is a 500KB limit on the size of jpegs you can upload , so you may have to learn how to resize your ginormous camera files if they any are over 500 KB
  • Squint at that screenshot carefully and you might spot that the system now gives you the choice of uploading a file
    either direct from your computer or from a URL where URL=Uniform Resource Locator
    or in English the address or a picture's address on a web site
    (if you found a sublime picture simply click your mouse's right button to see the err umm right click menu then simply select the bottom option "properties"
    the picture's address will then be smack in the middle of the properties box :
  • highlight it and copy it then paste it into the inviting virgin white box
    almost there now
  • press err umm upload
    alternatively if the picture is not on any web site yet but is still reposing on your own computer somewhere
  • Be so bold as to click the "browse" button alongside the equally enticing white box entitled "Upload File from your Computer"
  • you will see a display of your very own computer's drives

showing off the imposingly large number of drives on my custom built PC
  • TIP
    if you are going to upload a picture from your computer put it somewhere easy to find such as a floppy disk (in drive A) or on your desktop
  • upload by err umm pressing the upload button then wait:-
    depending on your internet connection speed you should soon see evidence that you have are attaching a file

and as shown by this screenshot eventually the program will show the fact that one file has now been successfully attached
[list][*]If you now click "preview" the attached thumbnail(s) should appear in the err umm "attached thumbnails" box.

[*]As an example I have attached a screenshot showing the results of a search for GL cover art at
http://www.freecovers.net/
[.list]
  • simply click it to see the full sized picture
  • Any other questions???
Nada Nada
Needle Nidle Noo
Ying Tong Song
I'm Walking Backwards to Christmas
John
Any "Goon Show" (BBC) fans out there???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	results_GL_search.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	365  

Last edited by johnfowles; 10-18-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: tidying up again
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
Dream Street Rose

Thank you Sir John.

Rose will be forever grateful for this lesson. Let's see how many trys it takes me to do it right. As I have stated before, I appreciate how smart you are and all the knowledge you have. I also really enjoy your sense of humor.

DSR