banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
timetraveler

Default Re: "You have a bad day!"

Well, Pete's better now & Pup STILL hasn't come back, so I'm going to assume the best on that one. Right now, it's in the mid-60's & the humidity level is such that it actually seems muggy. But it's still better than it has been in a while for me, on an emotional level.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #27
Borderstone

BIG update! As of last night......40 to go!! Yaaaaaay!!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #28
Borderstone

Okay,this will be attempt #2 at posting this.

Now the title of this thread is "You Have a Bad Day" right? Well today is quite the opposite! This has actually been kind of a "lucky" day,here's why.

1. First bus took the coin & bill box wasn't working,that ride was free.

2. Second bus: Said "Halo" to the driver (instead of hello). She found it funny and gaver me a bus pass for $1 off. Same bus,found 50cents on a seat,so my ride to the record store was only a buck!

3. Got to the store called "Bookmans" which seels used music,books & other things. I grabbed 6,count 'em! ; 6 of the albums I needed.
That's not the best part though,when I got to the regster,the cashier informed me after tallying everything that i had just won their "in store' contest and that my merchandise would be "FREE!" It even says so on the the receipt!

So,what would have easily cost me $20,didn't. Here's what I got :

"Close Up" - Frankie Valli (1975) w/ #1 hit "My Eyes Adored You".
"Calypso" - Harry Belafonte (1957 & in perfect shape)
"The Hermit Of Mink Hollow" - Todd Rundgren
"Voices In The Sky" - The Moody Blues (A 1980s "best of" collection)

On cassette:
"Hysteria" - Def Leppard (1987/88)
"Dr. Feelgood" - Motley Crue
I also bought one 45rpm from 1988 by a group called Bourgeois Tagg (Bush-wah Tahg),their 1988 hit called "I Don't Mind At All".

Free stuff? No...I Don't Mind At All! LOL!

Anyhow,that takes me down to 30 albums (I got my last Elton John back last night too and before that Elton's "The Fox", Chicago 16 & an 80s group called Breathe).

Oh,almost forgot #4.... I got this PC right away when I swiped my card.

Last edited by Borderstone; 05-18-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #29
Nightingale

Geez, I'd say you had the "free stuff" angel on your shoulder today!
Isn't it weird how things happen like that? Makes you wonder....

Moody Blues "Voices In The Ssy"....that's a good one!

I am happy for you that you had such a good day. Hopefully you will get those last 32 albums soon.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Borderstone

Yes I did Nightengale. (Love that name by the way!)

Just a good day all around and you may notice in my above message I made a correction. I forgot about 3 other albums I bought last week,so it is 30. Which means since this "accident" happened,I've gotten back 103 with Todd Rundgren's putting me over the 100 mark.

I won't finish them by June 6th which is the 2 year anni. date but it wont be long after that.

Yes,the Moody's album is a good one,it's mainly a "best of" the 1970s to 1983. The actual Moody Blues album I lost was 1983's "The Present" but "Voices In The Sky" had the hit from that LP so I got that instead.

In regards to the final 30,if anyoine out there sees a copy of "A Boy Named Charlei Brown" movie soundtrack,let me know!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #31
Nightingale

Thanks for the compliment on my name.

It actually came about from the "Voices in the Sky" song and "On the Wings of a Nightingale" by the Everly Brothers.

Justin Haywarad sings to a nightingale in the "Voices" song...it's such a beautiful tune and one of my favorites.

The Everly Brothers song used to wake me up every morning when my alarm clock radio would go off...lol.
It was kind of a difficult time in life and I appreciated that song more than I can ever say. It would just start my day off right and give me inspiration and hope...it's a great song!

I will keep an eye out for the Charlie Brown soundtrack. Good luck on the rest of them too.

Last edited by Nightingale; 05-20-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #32
charlene

Hey B -what are the 30 you need..
p.m. the list to me.
I am having a garage sale with a friend in 2 weeks who has tons of albums and I can see if she has any of them..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
Borderstone

Okay attempt #2 in posting this. I tried to send this list to Charlene but I'm not sure it went through. Anyway here's the remaining 26 albums.

The Geroge Benson Collection (buying it this wknd.)
Alley Cat - Bent Fabric
Brook Benton : Lie to Me and Boll Weevil Song
Happy Families - Blancmange

British Rock Classics Vol. 1 (Includes San Fransiscan Nights - Animals)

Woman to Woman - Shirley Brown (Buying this wknd.)
Pac Man Fever- Buckner & Garcia
"Buffalo Springfield" (debut LP,name in big fat black letters)

Bugsy Malone Soundtrack (1976 movie with Scott Baio)
Enlightenment : Best Of Lou Christie
One Step Closer - Gavin Christpher (One hit wonder R & B singer from 1986)

"Raggae Nights" - Jimmy Cliff (!2 inch single but song is on a 1983 albumm too)
"Rita coolidge" (Debut LP,black with picture of her outside).
Love Makes the World Go Around - Perry Como (Yellow cover w/title in fancy handwriting)

The Concert - CCR
Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean
Everything You Ever Wanted To Hear by Dion & The Belmonts (Blue cover w/black letters no picture).

Fables - England Dan & John Ford Coley
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
A Boy Named Charlie Brown -Soundtrack

Seven Wishes - Night Ranger
The Shirelles:Anthology (RhinoRecords)
"The Best Of Ray Stevens" (Is dressed like a clown on the cover w/ others also.)

So What? - Joe Walsh (found other Joe LP already)
Songs For Sinners - Rusty Warren (1950s female piano lounge comedian).

That's all and thanks for reading,if you know where these are,let me know!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #34
charlene

I'll check the Perry Como records in the garage. You ain't getting my Rita Coolidge record.
Not sure what CCR I have - I'll check..
I know my friend doesn't have any of these you listed..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #35
Borderstone

Awwww c'mon! Gimmie yer Rita C. !!!

Actually I've seen a copy or two of Rita but just like the Joe Walsh's I've seen,their condition is crummy.

I had a feeling they wouldn't have most of those either but y'never know.

Thank you much!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #36
Borderstone

Hi all,latest update from the Lost LPs file.

With a little help on the birthday side,I have these back now :

The George Benson Collection - Vinyl
Shirley Brown - Woman To Woman ( CD )
Night Ranger - 7 Wishes Vinyl

and ....da da ta da ta da! "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" ( CD ) B-day.

22 to go.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #37
Borderstone

Well,I hate to post this during the same time as the passing of Paul Newman but I had just come home from record hunting when I heard the news.

I'll be brief as possible.
In my last post,you'll see that I had 22 to go just over 3 months ago.

As of yesterday,I am now down to the final 10!

1. "Alley Cat" - Bent Fabric ( I know where one is for a good price!)

2. "Lie To Me" - Brook Benton ( Found the other but still seeking this one.)

3. "British Rock Classics" Vol. 1 - Various (Haven't seen it).

4. "Bugsy Malone" Soundtrack (I know where to get one but they want $20!!)

5. "Enlightenment: Best Of Lou Christie" (No sign of it).

6. "One Step Closer" - Gavin Christopher (If I can't find the LP,maybe I'll just substitute the same named hit 45rpm.)

7. "Love Makes The World Go Around" - Perry Como (Same place that wants $20 for "B.M." wants just over $10 for this.)

8. "Big Bad John" - Jimmy Dean (Same place as "Alley Cat",good price too. Next week possibly)

9. "The Shirelles Anthology". (Not seen either. I've seen other collections but they don't have all the hits. )

10. "The Very Best of Ray Stevens". (Seen other collections but again,not all the hits are there. )

Well,hopefully by next posting here,I'l be down to 5! I hope to have them all before the year is over. See you guys later!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #38
Borderstone

Big news alert! Big news alert!!

You know it seems like a small eternity since I posted about losing all the albums that I did in my closet flood of June 2006 but,I've something great to report about it today....

As of yesterday and also help from 2 weeks ago,I am now "1" - I repeat One! albuma away from being finished!!

I recently bought,2 weeks ago,The BugsyMalone Soundtrack,Alley Cat by Bent Fabirc and Get The Best Of Ray Stevens.

Yesterday was a biggie : The Best Of Lou Christie,"Love Makes The World Go Around" - Perry Como and a Brook Benton "Best Of" part two that has the same songs as the LP I listed,so I bought that instead.

Along with other LPs over the past two months as well.

I just need that pesky Gavin Christopher and his one hit wonder LP "One Step Closer". If I can't find the Lp,I'll just find that hit single and be done with it.

I'll keep you guys posted and thank you for your wanting to help and you're intrest.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
Dream Street Rose

Hey Borderstone,

You do good work. I am sure you will find that last one very soon. You are a man on a mission that will be compleated shortly. Then what will you do?

DSR
Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #40
Auburn Annie

Try Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...1709644&sr=8-3

I think this is the LP, for $15 plus $2.98 shipping.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #41
Borderstone

Yes, Annie. That's the song. Do they accept money order? I don't have a C.C. ,
I cut mine up and am paying it off.

Thanks for the clue in.

Rose,what will I do then,once finished? Well,one things for sure,I'll remember never to rent an apt. below ground level again! LOL!

Aside from that.....I'll still be finishing the top 40 hits of the most major acts of the rock era.

Finished collecting the 27 hits of The Everly Brothers Saturday too.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #42
Borderstone

Exactly what I found PD and the peoplewho ran the office at my complex were little help either. (Read my first few messgaes in the thread.)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #43
fezo

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
ugh when I was 21 -my very 1st apartment I rented on my own was a basement condo that got flooded! A foot of snow all melted in one day and I had one dry spot in the living room! The management company was lousy with clean up -just came in with a wet vac! The carpet was filthy! I ran a towel over one spot and it was black! Then I found mold on the inside of closet doors and my shoes, etc. I knew nothing about tenant rights and I ended up losing my security deposit and the cost of everything that got ruined. That's how I ended up in Connecticut and didn't think I'd be stuck living here for 23 years !!!!
Yikes!! I have mercifully escaped such a fate. i think I was 25 at first apartment and it was at ground level. It was in Tallahassee so i had some of the requisite Florida bugs but stayed dry.

I had one below ground place and was there for a good three years. Well a full three years.... It was an illegal duplex but at least if something went wrong the landlord was upstairs.

Where were you before Connecticut (which, BTW, is a perfectly lovely state for the most part...)?
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #44
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Hey B,

Good job and congratulations. I was wondering what sort of turntable do you use with your sound system to play all these things on ? I haven't had a working turntable in 15 or more years but I'm thinking of getting one again. Any suggestions ? Anyone else ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #45
Borderstone

Default Re: "You have a bad day!" 01/16/09 Victory!!!

Yes,it finally happened yesterday!

After 4pm yesterday (Friday) at the downtown oldies store I've been frequenting since the summer of '89,I nabbed their "one"-repeat! "one" 45rpm copy of 1986's "One Step Closer To You" by Gavin Christopher w/ Picture Sleeve! All for,thankfully,$3.00 + tx.

With that,I concluded this oddesy I've been on since June 2006.
Did I get all 133 back? No...more like 128 but those five weren't exactly necessary to the collection. In fact,while finding these,I gave away or sold about 30 lps,some casettes & a few Cd's.

Why? I realzed that there were a great many I wasn't listening to anymore (one's without hits or that had songs that I now had on "Best of" CDs). I also just needed to make room because I didn't want to end up with over 700 vinyl albums either.

I'm glad I did finish this but at the same time,given what 's been going on in America the last year and to me in 2007. I know that it's not as important as I made it seem in my mind. Near the end,it was more of just wanting to finish what I started.....and I did.

Simply,a personal victory but compared to bigger problems,not that grand a thing. One of the stores that helped is going out of "in person" business next month and will be strictly an Internet business,they just don't have the clientel anymore. (They certainly had the prices though!)

So,from this point,music takes a back seat. Still buy every now and then but not like before. I've realized,especially after I turned 40,what's truly takes precidence in one's life and now that this is done,I can focus on those things.

Thanks to all of you for your support & messages during this. I just hope that I wasn't annoying about it. So ends that bad day from 2006 and last but not least,things are such a "360" turn now from that time,thank God.

Last edited by Borderstone; 01-17-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #46
Borderstone

Hey all. I was leafing through some old threads and read through this one.

You know what,despite the loss being bad and incredibly frustrating at the time,
now reading this five years later,I realize i made a bigger issue out of it than i should have.

I don;t mean initially,i had a right to be mad but later in the thread,I'm reading what i typed and I think I come across a bit self-involved. If so,I want to apologize for that. I did eant to keep you all up to date on my progress but I think i went a bit overboard.

I could also say,retrieving the lost items became a nealry insane obsession. I note also I nevr replied to Bill's question about what record player I use. In fact,in some other thrreads,people asked me things and I didn't reply.

I could get busy at times but not "that" busy. So,necessary or not,I want to apologize for being so self centered that way. I was a somewhat diffferent man then and thankfully,I don;t obsess about stuff like that anymore.

I hope Bill reads this. I use my brother's turntable at the moment (I don;t recall the brand name). At the time of original posting,it was a SONY turntable/am-fm/cassette & CD player,that I bought in 2000 at Sears for $100. Long gone now.

I thank anyone who took the time to read this and who may have ever been annoyed
by the way I presented myself,in any similar form like I've mentioned,in other posts.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 PM   #47
Patti

You're hardly annoying, Border Bud. Peace, man.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #48
Borderstone

THanks Patti. I needed that.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #49
Borderstone

First off, I want to report, this will be the final message on this thread.

I'm posting here for 2 reasons.

1. This past summer was *gulp*!! the 10th anniversary of the closet flood.

I didn't post about it in June because well
...it hadn't entered my mind. ..and I've been busy.

2. One 'truly" final piece of the puzzle came to me last Tuesday the 11th. A very good copy of Rita Coolidge's debut album from 1971. I had bought a copy sometimes ago, but not in the greatest of shape. ...but now I have as close to the one I lost in 2006 as I can get.

So to me, that really puts the !!! on this odyssey

Everyone havea good week! Bye now.

Last edited by Borderstone; 10-19-2016 at 05:13 PM.