banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

The winner of the first "Nashville Star" contest - country music's answer to American Idol - is a big Lightfoot fan. See the article on Buddy Jewell at http://www.tennessean.com/entertainm...nt_ID=35047737

In case the link doesn't work, here's the text (see #3 under deserted island discs):

Buddy Jewell is the winner of the first-ever Nashville Star, the USA Network version of American Idol — only Buddy wrote and sang his own songs.

Jewell, 42, sang demo songs for other writers for 10 years in Nashville before getting the chance to cut his own album, Buddy Jewell, which comes out Tuesday.

He loves his family and his Bible and — anything chocolate.

— Brad Schmitt, Staff Writer

Five deserted-island discs

1. At San Quentin, Johnny Cash. That's a Columbia Record, as I recall. I'm just a huge Johnny Cash fan and I grew up 20 miles from where he's from. The first song I ever learned to sing in public was a Johnny Cash song called I Still Miss Someone.

2. Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, Marty Robbins. The Strawberry Roan and, I think, El Paso's on there.

3. If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot. It's the first album I ever bought. He had that folksy, earthy sound. I just love If You Could Read My Mind.

4. The Innocent Age, Dan Fogelberg. He wrote everything. Same Ole Lang Syne. That's my wife's favorite song.

5. Greatest Hits, James Taylor. Who doesn't love J.T.? One of the best concerts I've ever seen — my wife and I went — we saw him in Dallas. We laid on a blanket under the stars and listened to J.T., all that great stuff of his.

Three favorite Nashville restaurants

1. Corky's Bar-B-Q. You've got to understand. I have kids. I don't get out much, and it has to be kids under 12 eat free.

2. El Chico on Murfreesboro Road. They fed me for seven years while I was singing there. I might as well give them a plug.

3. Sportsman's Grill. They have the best fried pickles in town.

Five things or people you can't live without

1. My Taylor acoustic guitar. They gave me one while I was on the (Nashville Star) show. And the longer I was on the show, the cheaper it got, but when I won, it finally became free.

2. and 3. Food and water. I heard you couldn't live without food and water, so I figured those would be two and three.

4. Chocolate. I gotta have chocolate. As long as it's chocolate, it doesn't matter. If it was chocolate-covered pigs' feet, I'd eat that.

5. My Bible. I have a new international version. That's the translation. I should read it more.

"Behind the Head Shot" THE TENNESSEAN.com 6/29/03
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:24 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

The winner of the first "Nashville Star" contest - country music's answer to American Idol - is a big Lightfoot fan. See the article on Buddy Jewell at http://www.tennessean.com/entertainm...nt_ID=35047737

In case the link doesn't work, here's the text (see #3 under deserted island discs):

Buddy Jewell is the winner of the first-ever Nashville Star, the USA Network version of American Idol — only Buddy wrote and sang his own songs.

Jewell, 42, sang demo songs for other writers for 10 years in Nashville before getting the chance to cut his own album, Buddy Jewell, which comes out Tuesday.

He loves his family and his Bible and — anything chocolate.

— Brad Schmitt, Staff Writer

Five deserted-island discs

1. At San Quentin, Johnny Cash. That's a Columbia Record, as I recall. I'm just a huge Johnny Cash fan and I grew up 20 miles from where he's from. The first song I ever learned to sing in public was a Johnny Cash song called I Still Miss Someone.

2. Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs, Marty Robbins. The Strawberry Roan and, I think, El Paso's on there.

3. If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot. It's the first album I ever bought. He had that folksy, earthy sound. I just love If You Could Read My Mind.

4. The Innocent Age, Dan Fogelberg. He wrote everything. Same Ole Lang Syne. That's my wife's favorite song.

5. Greatest Hits, James Taylor. Who doesn't love J.T.? One of the best concerts I've ever seen — my wife and I went — we saw him in Dallas. We laid on a blanket under the stars and listened to J.T., all that great stuff of his.

Three favorite Nashville restaurants

1. Corky's Bar-B-Q. You've got to understand. I have kids. I don't get out much, and it has to be kids under 12 eat free.

2. El Chico on Murfreesboro Road. They fed me for seven years while I was singing there. I might as well give them a plug.

3. Sportsman's Grill. They have the best fried pickles in town.

Five things or people you can't live without

1. My Taylor acoustic guitar. They gave me one while I was on the (Nashville Star) show. And the longer I was on the show, the cheaper it got, but when I won, it finally became free.

2. and 3. Food and water. I heard you couldn't live without food and water, so I figured those would be two and three.

4. Chocolate. I gotta have chocolate. As long as it's chocolate, it doesn't matter. If it was chocolate-covered pigs' feet, I'd eat that.

5. My Bible. I have a new international version. That's the translation. I should read it more.

"Behind the Head Shot" THE TENNESSEAN.com 6/29/03
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Well no wonder he won!

Thanks for the article, Annie.
Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Borderstone

It's always a great thing to find outt that there's another GL fan out there! Before I found this website and saw a live concert,I thought I was the only living person who still listened to him. I hope Mr. Jewell has great success. It's been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (Also known as,"The B!")
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 06:34 PM   #5
char

I mentioned this to my daughter Lisa and she said that must be Buddy Jewell!
she watched the show i guess - he's going to be in Toronto in July according to his website.
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #6
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
It's always a great thing to find outt that there's another GL fan out there! Before I found this website and saw a live concert,I thought I was the only living person who still listened to him. I hope Mr. Jewell has great success. It's been me,later!

Actually, I've heard my parents say that a lot of people liked Gordon Lightfoot. But it sounds kind of hard to believe because no one ever speaks about him. But I think what it is is more people than we think listen to him, they just don't brag about it probably because they don't think they know anyone else who listens to him. Or, he might just have a lot of half-fans. A GL fan to me is some one who listens to GL 90% of the time and someone else 10% or less of the time. But maybe those half-fans listen to him every now and then.

Old 07-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:

Actually, I've heard my parents say that a lot of people liked Gordon Lightfoot. But it sounds kind of hard to believe because no one ever speaks about him. But I think what it is is more people than we think listen to him, they just don't brag about it probably because they don't think they know anyone else who listens to him. Or, he might just have a lot of half-fans. A GL fan to me is some one who listens to GL 90% of the time and someone else 10% or less of the time. But maybe those half-fans listen to him every now and then.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Part of DMD3's last message
maybe those half-fans listen to him every now and then.Methinks there could be a good song title there somewhere!!!

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited July 19, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Part of DMD3's last message
maybe those half-fans listen to him every now and then.Methinks there could be a good song title there somewhere!!!

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited July 19, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:22 PM   #10
Borderstone

In reference to the title of this thread,don't you wish all artists could have genuinely been influenced by Gordon Lightfoot? It would certainly make for better music and lyrics. At least I think so. Later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote