banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2000, 11:26 PM   #1
paradoxides

Well, I read If You Could Read His Mind last night, and must admit to being a bit disappointed, for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on. Part of it probably, as pointed out before in this forum, that it stops before Lightfoot really gets things together on all fronts. I finished it with a bit of a dissatisfied taste in my mouth. I think that this has something to do with the way that Collins writes. Reading it, I kept thinking "it seems like someone else could have told this story better." I wish that I could put into words what I found I didn't like about it.....just thought I would come on and say I had read it finally and share my opinion. huh.
paradoxides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2000, 11:26 PM   #2
Pirate Queen

Well, I read If You Could Read His Mind last night, and must admit to being a bit disappointed, for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on. Part of it probably, as pointed out before in this forum, that it stops before Lightfoot really gets things together on all fronts. I finished it with a bit of a dissatisfied taste in my mouth. I think that this has something to do with the way that Collins writes. Reading it, I kept thinking "it seems like someone else could have told this story better." I wish that I could put into words what I found I didn't like about it.....just thought I would come on and say I had read it finally and share my opinion. huh.
Pirate Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2000, 11:04 PM   #3
bunny

Hi I am trying to get a copy of the book can you tell me where you got it. would you think of selling it or coping some parts of it ect. and if you have any vidoes it would be nice to thanks bunny .

njdbunny@aol.com
Old 01-31-2000, 11:04 PM   #4
bunny

Hi I am trying to get a copy of the book can you tell me where you got it. would you think of selling it or coping some parts of it ect. and if you have any vidoes it would be nice to thanks bunny .

njdbunny@aol.com
Old 01-31-2000, 11:17 PM   #5
paradoxides

I got it at the library, I don't own a copy. there are numerous used book resources on the web. Many of them, such as Amazon.com do used book searches.
Old 01-31-2000, 11:17 PM   #6
Pirate Queen

I got it at the library, I don't own a copy. there are numerous used book resources on the web. Many of them, such as Amazon.com do used book searches.
Old 02-01-2000, 09:36 PM   #7
paradoxides

Bunny, a couple other suggestions are harvetbooks.com and bibliofind.com i hope you find the book for a decent price. it isn't something i would run out and spend a lot on. i am glad i read it before i spent an unreasonable price on it...ah, but supply and demand, you know.
Old 02-01-2000, 09:36 PM   #8
Pirate Queen

Bunny, a couple other suggestions are harvetbooks.com and bibliofind.com i hope you find the book for a decent price. it isn't something i would run out and spend a lot on. i am glad i read it before i spent an unreasonable price on it...ah, but supply and demand, you know.
Old 02-04-2000, 09:08 PM   #9
Gerard

Bunny,

I have this book. If you're interested, I'd be glad to sell it. I bought it on eBay. I agree with Pirate Queen's comments. Collins repeats himself one too many times.

If you're interested, you can e-mail me at shellmi@aol.com.
Old 02-04-2000, 09:08 PM   #10
Gerard

Bunny,

I have this book. If you're interested, I'd be glad to sell it. I bought it on eBay. I agree with Pirate Queen's comments. Collins repeats himself one too many times.

If you're interested, you can e-mail me at shellmi@aol.com.
Old 02-05-2000, 12:37 PM   #11
chris

Piratequeen,
Maybe its not possible to be a fan of GL and enjoy that book. Glad to hear your thoughts on it. I read it awhile back and found it to be a pretty depressing experience overall. WHile I found parts of it interesting, I was disappointed Collins chose to end the story when he did.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2000, 05:34 PM   #12
paradoxides

That's an interesting thought, that it is difficult to be fan and enjoy the book, but I think that is true now that you mention it. I guess I was disappointed that Collins focused more on how Lightfoot got to the top through persistence and business skills (which are good things to have, BUT....) and didn't realy talk about the fact that he is a brilliant songwriter. If Collins were asked it seems he would say G.L. got where he did by accident or something, not by the fact that he is amazing. I mean, Collins dissmisses a number of albums as being a result of G.L.'s alcoholism and not very good. Well, I damn well thought they were good and so did a lot of other people. So there. Ok, will stop ranting now. Chris, thanks for discussing with me.
Old 02-05-2000, 05:34 PM   #13
Pirate Queen

That's an interesting thought, that it is difficult to be fan and enjoy the book, but I think that is true now that you mention it. I guess I was disappointed that Collins focused more on how Lightfoot got to the top through persistence and business skills (which are good things to have, BUT....) and didn't realy talk about the fact that he is a brilliant songwriter. If Collins were asked it seems he would say G.L. got where he did by accident or something, not by the fact that he is amazing. I mean, Collins dissmisses a number of albums as being a result of G.L.'s alcoholism and not very good. Well, I damn well thought they were good and so did a lot of other people. So there. Ok, will stop ranting now. Chris, thanks for discussing with me.
Old 02-07-2000, 09:13 PM   #14
Lightfoot678

Hi, Jane here. I'm new! Anyway, I read "If You Could Read My Mind" not long ago, and kept feeling, as you do, that someone else doubtless could've written the story better. It has a real lack of detail. Maybe a woman's touch was needed!
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2000, 09:54 PM   #15
paradoxides

Hi Jane who's new! It seriously makes me wonder how copies seem to sell for so much on Ebay when every GL fan I talk didn't really like it.....just a thought. A collector sort of thing I suppose.
Old 02-07-2000, 09:54 PM   #16
Pirate Queen

Hi Jane who's new! It seriously makes me wonder how copies seem to sell for so much on Ebay when every GL fan I talk didn't really like it.....just a thought. A collector sort of thing I suppose.
Old 02-17-2000, 02:38 AM   #17
LouiseAnne

First of all, that book ended when it did because if you look at the copyright date, it was 1985. Short of a crystal ball, Collins, in all fairness, could not have written any further.

As a writer myself (yes, that's what I do for a living) I think what you didn't like was the fact that instead of writing the facts of Gord's life, he "editorialized". That's what annoyed me the most. He spent pages saying what he felt Gord was thinking and why he did what he did. And he used a lot of other people's writing to back up his thinking. I really believe that is why no one liked the book. I posted awhile back that there was a great rift between Gord and Collins after that book was written. I think that is the reason. And a lot of the things that were included in that book just plain weren't TRUE. For example, he took Cathy Smith's book, "Chasing the Dragon" to heart and included it in his and much of that was mainly embellishment.

I know you guys think I'm just trying to come across as a know-it-all, but believe me, many things in that book are twisted and blown all out of proportion. But then, the public feeds on the "darker" side of fame, so that's where Collins went. Unfortunately, it did more harm to Gord than good. Collins went for the commercial aspect. He wanted to "sell" a book and make his money, rather than tell the true story of a great artist.

And if you will notice, he has never managed to publish another book after that one.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
LouiseAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2000, 02:38 AM   #18
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

First of all, that book ended when it did because if you look at the copyright date, it was 1985. Short of a crystal ball, Collins, in all fairness, could not have written any further.

As a writer myself (yes, that's what I do for a living) I think what you didn't like was the fact that instead of writing the facts of Gord's life, he "editorialized". That's what annoyed me the most. He spent pages saying what he felt Gord was thinking and why he did what he did. And he used a lot of other people's writing to back up his thinking. I really believe that is why no one liked the book. I posted awhile back that there was a great rift between Gord and Collins after that book was written. I think that is the reason. And a lot of the things that were included in that book just plain weren't TRUE. For example, he took Cathy Smith's book, "Chasing the Dragon" to heart and included it in his and much of that was mainly embellishment.

I know you guys think I'm just trying to come across as a know-it-all, but believe me, many things in that book are twisted and blown all out of proportion. But then, the public feeds on the "darker" side of fame, so that's where Collins went. Unfortunately, it did more harm to Gord than good. Collins went for the commercial aspect. He wanted to "sell" a book and make his money, rather than tell the true story of a great artist.

And if you will notice, he has never managed to publish another book after that one.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2000, 11:03 AM   #19
paradoxides

Well yes, I realise that the book was written when it was, I was only meaning that it is a shame that it wasn't written a couple of years later, when the story would have tied up nicer. And yes, it is the editorialising that I dislike. And that story about Cathy Smith...what was the point of even putting it in there? And LAMS, I don't think I knew that you are a writer. I am in school, but it is how I make my living (on a more part time basis since most my concentration is on finishing my degree). I also didn't know that Collins has not published another book since...interesting.
Old 02-17-2000, 11:03 AM   #20
Pirate Queen

Well yes, I realise that the book was written when it was, I was only meaning that it is a shame that it wasn't written a couple of years later, when the story would have tied up nicer. And yes, it is the editorialising that I dislike. And that story about Cathy Smith...what was the point of even putting it in there? And LAMS, I don't think I knew that you are a writer. I am in school, but it is how I make my living (on a more part time basis since most my concentration is on finishing my degree). I also didn't know that Collins has not published another book since...interesting.
Old 06-20-2000, 01:53 PM   #21
CanadaGirl38

Well, I've finally gotten a copy of the book and read it. Anyone out there that wants it (based on what's been said here - which I agree with I can't see why you would) go on down to your local library and ask them to borrow it for you on Inter-library Loan. No sense in spending good money on this.

My impression was taht the author really didn't know what the heck he wanted this to come out like. He is not a good writer, or more specifically, this is not a well written book. He'll pop in now and then with the "it's the music that counts" and yet spends no time at all talking about it. The only significant musical information is finding out how strongly "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" was recieved in Canada at the time. This is hardly earth shattering.

I also see him trying to paint the "cad" side of GL while at the same time constantly excusing this or that - he just didn't know what he wanted to write.

Flimsy book - take it or leave it. At least it's a quick read.
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 01:53 PM   #22
fezo

Well, I've finally gotten a copy of the book and read it. Anyone out there that wants it (based on what's been said here - which I agree with I can't see why you would) go on down to your local library and ask them to borrow it for you on Inter-library Loan. No sense in spending good money on this.

My impression was taht the author really didn't know what the heck he wanted this to come out like. He is not a good writer, or more specifically, this is not a well written book. He'll pop in now and then with the "it's the music that counts" and yet spends no time at all talking about it. The only significant musical information is finding out how strongly "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" was recieved in Canada at the time. This is hardly earth shattering.

I also see him trying to paint the "cad" side of GL while at the same time constantly excusing this or that - he just didn't know what he wanted to write.

Flimsy book - take it or leave it. At least it's a quick read.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 02:34 PM   #23
Bill

I read the Collins book a few years ago, and I own a copy of an earlier work by Gabrielle Some-body-or-other. I got over my boyhood hero syndrome years ago...Lightfoot did some pretty ruff living for a while, but I certainly admire his abilities as a survivor. When it comes to selling books, it's kind of like Chris Rock's promo for VH1 Behind the Music..."if they didn't get on drugs and lose their #@**!, Why are we even here?!" My complaint about Collins isn't that it contained unflattering stories, it's that it didn't give Lightfoot enough credit for being a talented, lucid fellow most of the time. I'm sure Lightfoot has done things he wishes he hadn't, but there's a new Don Henley song called "My Thanksgiving"...refers to being thankful for every road, every set back, and everything that has brought him to where he is right now. For Lightfoot, that looks like a very nice place.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 02:35 PM   #24
Bill

I read the Collins book a few years ago, and I own a copy of an earlier work by Gabrielle Some-body-or-other. I got over my boyhood hero syndrome years ago...Lightfoot did some pretty ruff living for a while, but I certainly admire his abilities as a survivor. When it comes to selling books, it's kind of like Chris Rock's promo for VH1 Behind the Music..."if they didn't get on drugs and lose their #@**!, Why are we even here?!" My complaint about Collins isn't that it contained unflattering stories, it's that it didn't give Lightfoot enough credit for being a talented, lucid fellow most of the time. I'm sure Lightfoot has done things he wishes he hadn't, but there's a new Don Henley song called "My Thanksgiving"...refers to being thankful for every road, every set back, and everything that has brought him to where he is right now. For Lightfoot, that looks like a very nice place.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2000, 03:23 PM   #25
paradoxides

It seemed to me as if Collins felt he had to dig to find things that he felt we really interesting to write about and that was the reason for relating and editorialising on the Cathy Davis stories. Also, it seems more like he was told - "hey write this book on this guy" and he could not care less about GL, the only connection being that Collins is also Canadian.....