banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Char, where are you? Turn on the news! My spy in Canada (Joe White, who promoted Cathy's concert in Port Colborne) heard on the news that Canada Post is issuing limited edition stamps to honor Gord, Anne Murray, Paul Anka and Joni Mitchell. He thinks they will be on sale tomorrow, and has promised to go to the post office to get me mine! I wonder how fast they will run out?

Edit: Here's a story at canada.com:
www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=4caff804-bd5c-46b0-9c83-c9151a65c69b&k=81965

[ June 11, 2007, 19:11: Message edited by: vlmagee ]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
charlene

LOL! He mentioned the stamp when I spoke to him on the phone..
I get the Canada Post "COLLECTIONS" magazine and rec'd one a week ago-there's nothing in it mentioning these issues.
There were some of John Candy, Mary Pickford, Lorne Greene and Fay Wray but they are all deceased..
I have to go to the post office this week..it's funny they don't have a first date issue like they do with others that come with an envelope and is cancelled on date of issue by Can.Post.. (I used to collect stamps as a kid)
there is nothing on the website either..
I'd like to buy a sheet like I did with the u.s. Elvis stamps..
hmmm..I shall investigate..
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/co.../default-e.asp

[ June 11, 2007, 21:13: Message edited by: charlene ]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Err Umm...
Such an issue is not shown in the
2007 Canada Stamp Program as listed at:-
http://www.rpsc.org/canadapost.htm
but....
Issue dates are subject to change by Canada Post
Nor is there any reference on that pages linked news page and as it is The Royal Philatelic Society of Canada's site you would expect them to know
As should the Canada Post/Postes. on line shop at:- http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/co.../default-e.asp
but to check I had to register (along with millions of others creating a log-jam until tomorrow!)!
"Thank you for requesting your User ID and Password to access our Stamps & Gifts Online store. We are currently experiencing a large influx of requests and we will make every effort to ensure you receive your User ID and Password within 1 business day. However, due to this overwhelming response it may take longer."
I suspect that what your friend heard was that CHar was trying to raise some funds by selling her stamp

http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot/CHar's_Stamp.jpg
at least I think that is the one of two that Char bought back in November
Addendum i see in that canada.com article that the stamps will be 52 cent denomination not 8
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
charlene

the days of 8 cent stamps are long gone..
and 15 bucks gets an 8 x 10 manila envelope a 10 - 12 day trip from Toronto to Port Charlotte Florida!
lol
I bought the colour painting of a 70's Gord in denim and curls..he wanted it but had to take the B&W 60's version of himself!

Well I'll CHat up one of CanPosts finest and get what info I can...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

They'll be available June 29:

Musical licks: New Canada Post series pays tribute to pop icons

Katherine Monk, CanWest News Service

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Canada Post continues to push the envelope.

Last year, the Crown corporation made the bold leap into celebrity stamps with an homage to Canadians who made it big in Hollywood. Today, the national mail service unveils its latest star-studded series featuring Canadian music icons Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray and Paul Anka.

If you're wondering what happened to Neil Young, don't fret, says Canada Post's marketing and public relations manager Cindy Daoust. "These are just the first four . . . chances are good there will be a sequel."

As with any decision on subject matter, the corporation looks to an advisory committee comprised of historians, stamp collectors, educators and business people in order to make the selections, Daoust says.

"We get thousands of suggestions from Canadians every year and recording artists have always been one of the more requested themes. Canadians want to see Canada Post recognize homegrown talent," says Daoust from her Ottawa office.

"The recording artists who were selected are ones who established themselves on a world stage before Canadian music was as popular as it is now -- and when we were still struggling to compete against our American counterparts," she says.

Considering other countries such as the United States, and even tiny Russian states such as Ingushia, have been turning celebrity images into lickable gold for decades, Canada Post's foray into the world of pop culture is relatively new.

Daoust says the first "celebrity" stamp the corporation ever printed was two years ago, in recognition of jazz pianist Oscar Peterson.

The Peterson stamp was a significant success and paved the way for last year's release of a four-part "Canadians in Hollywood" pane, featuring John Candy, Fay Wray, Lorne Greene and Mary Pickford.

"The Canadians in Hollywood series was extremely popular. It was one of our bestsellers of the year, and for all time. The John Candy stamp in particular proved to be a tremendous success," she says.

Daoust says she can't break down the specifics as far as revenue goes because it's not part of the corporation's accounting procedures, but she says there are about one million stamp collectors in the world, and Canada Post issues tend to be popular with everyone who knows stamps because of their high quality.

"We have very high standards we do not want to waver from," says Daoust. "We feel we have subject integrity, in that we don't just put out a stamp because it's profitable. We have more, shall we say, altruistic aims. We strive to promote Canadian content and Canadian culture and to recognize, and showcase, the achievements of Canadians."

Daoust says Murray, Mitchell, Lightfoot and Anka were all approached for their consent to participate, and approval of the final artwork.

"We worked in partnership with the talent and their people. It wouldn't really behoove the corporation to honour a star with an image they don't like."

The Canadian Recording Artists stamp series features photographs of each singer-songwriter screened similar colours to ensure thematic unity, and was designed by Circle in Winnipeg, and printed by Lowe-Martin for Canada Post.

The stamps will be available June 29.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
charlene

It's nice that they are doing this while the people being honoured can bask in the glory and really appreciate it. And we fans can take pleasure in their joy. Doesn't do them much good after they're gone and I sure wouldn't want to be feeling bittersweet regret that it hadn't been done during their lifetime.
Hopefully CANPOST will update their site and show what will be available..
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Moosedog

Great, thanks for the information! I just called one of my co-workers in our Toronto office, and he promises to pick some up for me.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
charlene

Lisa said she saw it on the news last night.
She thinks it's the 1975 Gord's Gold cover photo..
Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Borderstone

That's a great choice for the picture,I think anyway. Mainly becasue it's usually the LP/CD people buy first when listening for the first time.

I wonder how man yladies are looking forward to "using" the stamps? :D LOL!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Here it is:

Found it in a PDF on the Canada Post web site. They have an article, but it wasn't easy to find, and separate articles (as PDFs) on each artist. They sure didn't make it easy to find!

Here is the press release article:

http://www.canadapost.ca/corporate/a....asp?prid=1229

and the Lightfoot PDF:

http://www.canadapost.ca/corporate/a...ightfoot-e.pdf
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
Jesse Joe

Great work finding this Val,

That's some nice looking stamp.

[ June 12, 2007, 21:18: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe D18 ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
charlene

I looked earlier and gave up to do some other stuff..I know what you mean about the website..a lot of the stuff is hard to find and I know it's there for sure because I get the magazines!
lol

oh yeah - the sheet will go in a frame with the first day cover - right up beside my other stamp painting I bought in November!
woo-hoo..

I imagine Gord's gonna be signing a lot of little bitty autographs on those 52 cent stamps!
lolol
I should get mine in time for Mariposa...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
gwen snyder

Sure do like that stamp.
Can I get anyone to purchase me one?
Anyone?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
charlene

ordering info at the link...
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
RM

I just ordered the whole package using the 1-800 number. Canadians talk funny. I know nothing about stamp collecting.....what's the deal with the date-of-issue cancellation stamps ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

ordering info at the link...
Well sort of but nevertheless a brilliant find CHar
I read there
"Retail price:
Booklet of 8 self-adhesive stamps (four different covers!): $4.16 each
Special souvenir sheet of four stamps: $2.08
Official First Day Cover: $3.08
Postcards, stamped for mailing anywhere in the world: $1.69 "
and
"Starting June 29, these limited edition stamps will be available for sale in post offices across the country, can be ordered online by following the links at Canada Post's website www.canadapost.ca, or by calling toll-free: 1-800-565-4362 (Canada and the United States), or 902-863-6550 (from other countries)."
Meanwhile I had ben investigating the Canada Post site and had already discovered that it was necessary to register then log in in order to order online, and was drafting a reply to:-
Quote:
Originally posted by sunny suebee:
Sure do like that stamp.
Can I get anyone to purchase me one?
Anyone?
Easy Peasy Sue (thinks could that be Sue Bloo(mer) in disguise??
wrong Sue Bloo is a nurse in Colourado but this sueB is a seamstress in "the midwest"

I mentioned above that things were hectic at Canada Post yesterday but I was delighted this morning to receive an email from one
Robert FIANDER
Subject : canadapost on-line access

Dear Customer:
RE: Your Stamps & Gifts On-Line Store User ID and Password
Thank you for registering with Canada Post’s convenient new Stamps and Gifts On-Line Store. We’re pleased to provide you with a confidential User ID and Password combination that will enable you to log on right now to experience easy and secure on-line shopping for more than 500 items using your credit card.
USER ID: 10821059
PASSWORD: ******
My comments on my experience are included below
1. Log on to www.canadapost.ca
actually opens
http://www.canadapost.ca/splash.asp
Then click on orange "english" or "french" or whatever takes your fancy!!
The site is generally impressive but is really a masterpice of misinformation and confusion
2. Click on ‘Go to personal’ on left-hand navigation bar
Wrong! It is in fact the middle set of 3 lists

in the absence of any other obvious link search "lightfoot"
not helpfiul 9 results including the pdfs that Val found
So I tried a "what's new/" link
only has "new" issues up to May 9
tried "shop" not useful
tried "search store" for what else "lightfoot"
most helpfiul so far
"Sorry, there was no products found in this category
Your search for 'lightfoot returned 0 record(s).
3. Click on ‘Collecting’
wrong actually "stamp collecting"
4. Click on ‘Stamps & Gifts On-Line’
wrong actually
"Stamps and Gifts
On-line - Store"
that link opens:-
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/co.../default-e.asp
5. Click on “Already a Registered User? Login” correct
6. Enter your confidential User ID and Password to log in correct
]
I logged in and was presented with a page ominously emtitled
Canada Post Commercial Internet Sales
at:-
https://obc.canadapost.ca/zcpb2p/b2b/start.do
but no sign of Gord yet
tried "quick search" for yet again "lightfoot"
Oh geez
"Your search was unsuccessful"
tried "commemorative"
oh geez 109 products on 22 pages most of which seem to show only "Art Canada Mary Pratt", Lilacs or International Polar Year! (which I discovered "is a large scientific programme focused on the Arctic and the Antarctic from March 2007 to March 2009" a pretty long "year' ??)
passing by such sets as this 25 stamp sheet for the Year of the Pig on pages 8 and 9 and 10 since you ask and sets for graphics duck decoys and lacrosse

I perused all 22 pages but found no sign of Gord's stamp nor come to that a set I picked up at my local post office 40 years ago man and boy!!

I am sure that you will agree that it is pretty impressive that after 40 years I still have this set and even more impressive that it only took me about 15 minutes to find it!!
but this "Atlas Of Canada" set on page 19 comes close

7. Begin Shopping!
Please ensure that your User ID and Password are kept in a safe place, as you’ll need them each time you log on. Enjoy your exciting Stamps & Gifts On-Line shopping experiences!
Sincerely,
Customer Service
National Philatelic Centre
Phew
My advice is to try again nearer to June 29 but register first
Old 06-13-2007, 11:01 AM   #17
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

The stamps are beautiful! I just love how Canada honors their talent. I think more than having a sheet of these it would be 'way cool' to receive a letter with one of these stamps canceled on the envelope. If it came from Gord, all the better.
dreamin'...
Kimberly
Old 06-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
charlene

Val had the link in her post..)

We don't talk funny!
lol

there is also a link explaining how to send the first day issue cover with the stamp to a post office for cancellation. i'm sending one to the orillia post office..

http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/co...?stamp=cancels

i believe it includes the Lightfoot stamp ..

if it pertains to some other stamps I am still sending one of my first day issues to the orillia post office with a written request that the postmaster cancel it on june 29 and return it in the stamped, self addressed envelope i will also provide..

Canadian cancels to collect
Canada Post is pleased to present philatelic pictorial cancels to collect. These cancels are available on an ongoing basis from the respective post offices across Canada. To obtain any of these cancels, send your stamped envelopes and/or covers* with proper postage (52¢) inside a stamped envelope addressed to the 'Postmaster' followed by the name and full address of the post office as it appears below the particular cancel. Be sure to enclose a self-addressed envelope pre-stamped with sufficient postage for return mailing.

Please note:
Envelopes and/or covers will be stamped on or around the dates they're received.

*Individual Postmasters reserve the right to limit quantities.

[ June 13, 2007, 11:13: Message edited by: charlene ]
Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

I just registered so I'll be all set once they go on sale. I got following information:

"Thank you for requesting your User ID and Password to access our Stamps & Gifts Online store. We are currently experiencing a large influx of requests and we will make every effort to ensure you receive your User ID and Password within 1 business day. However, due to this overwhelming response it may take longer."

Probably half of our corfid members are registering now to make sure they get their Gordon stamps. I bet the Canadian Post had never before such a demand coming from the U.S...
:D
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by RM:
I just ordered the whole package using the 1-800 number. Canadians talk funny. (EH)I know nothing about stamp collecting.....what's the deal with the date-of-issue cancellation stamps ?
well done Ron for cutting to the quick
I took the longer route to the actual site because Susan has it in mind to get a plate of possibly 25 stamps like the "Pig" set I showed , then asking Gord to sign each individual stampl!! (some hope)
As far as your question about "date of issue" I can refer you to the inevitable wiki at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_day_of_issue
At one time I had quite a collection of First day covers that my mother who was baxk then working at her local post Office would send to me in Canada
I believe amongst serious collectors such an item if possible mounted on a special; commemorative envelope is the most desirable and/or valuable example of an issue
There is a prime example at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F...arp.750pix.jpg
750 pixel wide image so please go to that link to see it.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #21
charlene

ok - the first day covers come already stamped with the june 29 date. when i was a kid we used to take them to the post office to get cancelled.the orders will be mailed on june 29..

The postcard comes with an individual stamp of your choice.

The envelopes have text about Gord on the back and the front has grooves like an album.

my new friend at canpost will let me know about any ceremony/presentation to occur in Toronto where the performers might be in attendance..
Anne Murray lives here but heads to Nova Scotia for summers usually..Paul Anka and Joni live in the U.S. Perhaps they'd be up for it..June 29 Lightfoot is in Omaha NE.
hmmm...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #22
charlene

Claudia - call the 1-800 number and place your order..They are on sale now. they will be shipped on June 29..
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Quote:
Claudia - call the 1-800 number and place your order..They are on sale now. they will be shipped on June 29..
Thanks Char,
Really seems to be the better choice - will do so then. My husband is working closely with CN and I already asked him if he has someone there who owes him a favor...lol. But I better not rely on that!
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #24
RM

Quote:
The envelopes have text about Gord on the back and the front has grooves like an album.
Envelopes ? I didn't see any mention of those in their price list. Or am I missing something ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #25
Moosedog

Yahooo, just called and ordered mine. I spoke with a very nice gentleman who informed me I should receive my stamps by mid July. Then he added "hopefully, not the Black Day In July". LOL

Thanks to Val for initially posting this, and to all others who have jumped in and added helpful information.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote