banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
dhartman

Default Tulsa tonight

Leaving for Tulsa , been playing Gord this morning , Will visit relatives while there . A day of lightfoot and an evening with Gord and the boys, Spirits are high , Life is GOOD, Got to go now , cant wait .

DALE
dhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Tulsa tonight

we'll be here waiting for your report! have a great time!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
RWGuinn

Send a message via AIM to RWGuinn

Who are you and where will you be?
I'm in sec D row 5
RWGuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
RWGuinn

Ok, Just got home from the concert
First question: Where did he get that Gawdawful smoking jacket?
I don't know the capacity of the Mabee Theatre, but it was packed I didn't keep a set list, but he began with "Triangle", and it sounded all night like he was a bit nasal, and was having a trouble with phrasing--running out of breath. Turns out, he has a cold. I sympathize--I've been stuffed up since I got tho Tulsa a year ago. Alergies are a real B*^&* up here.
He showed glimpses of the old power on a few songs, but was really stretching a bit when more than a octave was involved.
In the second half, "Clouds of Loneliness" was absolutely nailed--as close to perfect as he did all night. Most of the old songs--Sundown, IYCRMM, and "Wreck" were well done. The boys in the band were great.
He did get ahead of himself on EMR, mouthed a few nonsense syllables, and said (on key, in time) "Boys, we're gonna try that again, and got right back to "Hear the mighty engines roar"
When he was introducing "Baby step back", The guys had this strange look on their faces, and Terry was hear to say something about "want to try it with the 6 string?" but Gord continued with the 12, claiming afterwards that it was his version of "Stump the band". They seemed to enjoy the change...
The "Me and Bobby Magee" rendition was very good--better than Kris's own version, and way better than Joplin ever thought of doing...
Overall, I thought it was great--the people loved him, and they loved us back. Terry was applauding the audience, and they did 2 encores--"If Children Had Wings" and "Old Dan's Records"
My wife and I were very, very happy
Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
Dream Street Rose

RWGuinn,

Thank you for sharing your concert with us. I think Gordon really likes that jacket. He wore it last year too. I am glad you got to hear "Clouds of Loneliness" & "If Children Had Wings". They are all professionals so they perform even when they don't feel well. I too suffer from allergies. At least we know we are not alone. I hope you unstuff soon.

DSR
Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
charlene

Thanks for the report. Was he wearing the red or blue jacket. He has two if it's the one I'm thinking of..Not my faves either.
Sorry to hear he's got a cold. I guess last night's version of 'stump the band' is another version in the game, like playing Carefree Highway twice in one show at Massey last year ..
lol
2 encores!!
Sounds like a great night!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
formerlylavender

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you and your wife had a great time.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
RWGuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Thanks for the report. Was he wearing the red or blue jacket. He has two if it's the one I'm thinking of..Not my faves either.
Sorry to hear he's got a cold. I guess last night's version of 'stump the band' is another version in the game, like playing Carefree Highway twice in one show at Massey last year ..
lol
2 encores!!
Sounds like a great night!
It was great.
The red jacket was the one he had on. Made me think of the velvet paintings of Elvis <G>
They performed for a solid hour and a half, and definitely seemed to be enjoying themselves.
I thought his "Carefree Highway" this time was very good. Certainly not the same smooth, mellow voice from 1973, but you could tell that it had been there, and that the song fit him well.
He was bantering a bit with the crowd, and a well-heard request for "No Hotel" got a grin and "That's song's in Rotation. Sometimes ya gotta give them a rest".
And for those wondering--no, CRT was not in the set
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
dhartman

Just got back from Tulsa , wish I was on the road for Topeka . A good time was had by all . Gord and the band seemed loose with band members singing along at times. The crowd acknowledged the band more than other shows I had been to, that was really nice.
Gord really struggled at times with the vocals ,( not that I really cared ). Even hummed out the end of Cotton Jenny . Man I hope he can hang on because I will keep going . Kind of emotional night up and down for me . Listening to him do Painter was sad for me and I hollered at the end that he is still awseome . I danced with my daughter at her wedding to Shadows last year and went back to that time when he sang it. sigh .
But all is good , tried to get back stage after the show but some guy said we needed some stupid back stage pass , told him it really wasnt necessary to have them but he won. Ever so persistant , waited outside , got to talk breifly with all the members of the band and about ten minutes with rick along with pictures with all of them . They were super nice and very patient with us all. When Gord came out I got my ticket stub autographed , hand shake ( twice ) and me and my wife a picture with Gordon ( twice ). I couldnt have asked for anything better . As I said before , life is GOOD.
I agree , cant say that I care for the red jacket , when he came back out for ths second set he had changed and said he was more comfortable . I could relate to the head thing as have a cold myself . One thing of intrest was after the show looking thru the glass in the hall , Gordon was very paticular how one of his guitars was cased and latches secured , then it was graspped by a rodie with both arms and taken to the bus , not the truck . Seemed pretty special to me , maybe some one knows something or they are all special to him. You are lucky if Gordon is headed your way for a show , enjoy. Dale
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
charlene

I think I've heard that his guitars travel with him..in the plane and in cars/bus etc. Other equipment goes on the truck or in cargo probably..
lol
Having had guitars damaged and stolen he's pretty careful about them - those tools of the trade are as important to him as his voice/songs and band members.

It was surprising in January to see him pick up someone else's guitar and sing a song.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
RWGuinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartman View Post
Just got back from Tulsa , wish I was on the road for Topeka . A good time was had by all . Gord and the band seemed loose with band members singing along at times. The crowd acknowledged the band more than other shows I had been to, that was really nice.
Gord really struggled at times with the vocals ,( not that I really cared ). Even hummed out the end of Cotton Jenny . Man I hope he can hang on because I will keep going . Kind of emotional night up and down for me . Listening to him do Painter was sad for me and I hollered at the end that he is still awseome . I danced with my daughter at her wedding to Shadows last year and went back to that time when he sang it. sigh .
... Dale
That was you?
Well done...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
dhartman

That was you?
Well done... Yes that was me . I'm not one that likes to draw attention, especially in a crowd . But I was in a good mood . It got the reaction I expected . The shows I have been to when someone complimented him on stage, he usually drops his head and moves right in to the next song , Ever so humble . Like he said , just a painter passing through . But there are a lot of people that don't see him that way. All I know is I have spent a lot of time tapping , swaying , singing and smiling listening to his music. For that , I am grateful . And don't forget the boys in the band ! Dale